none
Cisco VPN Client

Question

• I have problem to get the Cisco VPN Client to work.

The installation went fine (Ver 4.8.01.0300) but when trying to connect to gateway it says: "Reason 403: Unable to contact Security Gateway" and when checking the logfile it displays: "Unable to bind to IKE port.  This could be because there is another VPN client installed or running.  Please disable or uninstall all VPN Clients other than the Cisco VPN Client."

Anyone seen this?

I am using Vista version 6.0.6000

/Janne

Sunday, November 19, 2006 11:02 AM

Answers

• I work with a company called LodgeNet StayOnline and when I am in the field I need to connect via our VPN to get to our servers at the home office.  I am running the Vista RC1 beta and had problems with v.4.7.00.0533 so I inquired with our ISS team to have them download all newly released clients from Cisco's website.  By the end of the day they had these versions:

v.4.8.01.0300

v.4.8.01.0590

v.4.8.02.0010

I decided to go with the newest install thinking that it would work the best with vista, seeing as it was the newest.  Unfortunately it didn't work and every time I tried to connect it wouldn't let me.  Upon trying to install it again, vista notified me that there was a message on my interactive desktop (virtual desktop where legacy installation/execution of software is performed).  Upon entering the interactive desktop there was a sign in box waiting for me.  So I tried to sign in and I got Error 453.  So I cancelled and hoped that the icon on my desktop would work; nope, I got Error 412.  So I decided to uninstall and then intall from v.4.8.01.0300, this too proved a failier and it gave me Error 403.  Upon letting windows diagnose this error, it said that my firewall needed to open up a spicific TCP port 17xx.  Knowing full well that our support team wouldn't do this just for me, I tried to upgrad to v.4.8.01.0590.  Upon rebooting and starting the interface I got and error code (sorry can't remember) and after diagnosing the problem with Vista, I was told that Vista couldn't start the virtual interface.  So I finally go to Cisco's website and read up on the problem, tried their advice and still nothing.  Once this didn't work, I resolved to repartition my hard drive and make a dual boot of Vista and XP and then VPN through XP.  This worked, of course, but I still wanted to get it working in Vista (it's the engineer in me).  I decided to upgrade from v.4.8.01.0590 to v.4.8.02.0010.  With the upgrade moving smoothly and no errors I figured this fixed it, but I was wrong.  So I uninstalled the software, rebooted my machine.  And I should let you know that, at least in RC1, this reboot may take a while (took me 30min, although it could have been other problems).  Once rebooted I verified that the software had been uninstaled and removed from: Start Menu, Control Panels-Uninstall/Install Program list, and also it's folder in Program Files.  I then rebooted once more as a just incase scinerio and talked with my ISS team.  They told me that the v.4.8.01.0590 was a Vista Beta version, created specifically for Vista and it's file system.  So after the previous reboot I re-installed v.4.8.01.0590, followed all the prompts then rebooted.  Upon rebooting I opened the client, created my connection profile and started it up.  I was able to log in as with v.4.8.02.0010, although this time it made the connection instead of timing out.  So here is the skinny:

v.4.8.01.0590 (vista beta edition)

Start -> All Programs -> Startup -> (Right-Click on VPN Client, select Properties) -> Verify that the "Start In" path is only for the .exe file

• ex.   "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\" "log in"  (wrong) -> "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\" (right)

Once this is done, reboot once more just incase there are any other installs pending or straggling code waiting to be installed for the client. 

After the reboot you should be fine, try the connection and you should be up.  Please note that the connection may take a little longer than in XP

Please note:

I am not a Microsoft Employee, only a Network Engineer who likes to solve problems

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:38 PM

All replies

•  JanneZ wrote:

I have a similar problem but i cannot even install the VPN CLIENT Version 4.0.3

Regards,

Julio Valencia

I have problem to get the Cisco VPN Client to work.

The installation went fine (Ver 4.8.01.0300) but when trying to connect to gateway it says: "Reason 403: Unable to contact Security Gateway" and when checking the logfile it displays: "Unable to bind to IKE port.  This could be because there is another VPN client installed or running.  Please disable or uninstall all VPN Clients other than the Cisco VPN Client."

Anyone seen this?

I am using Vista version 6.0.6000

/Janne

Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:51 AM
  • You cannot install this version in Vista. The system services are installed in Vista another way. You have to obtain one of the version 4.8.01.xxxx, which have been designed to comply Vista system service installation rules.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 11:25 AM
  • You seem to have previously tried to install lower version of the client than 4.8.01.xxxx. Try to uninstall the current VPN client and check if there is its system service still remaining among the system services. If so, try to install the wrong previous version of VPN client, restart and uninstall it. If you can't, try to use System Restore.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 11:30 AM
  • Look in the services and see if the IKE and AuthIP IPSec keying modules running.  If so you may need to stop these services.  Before doing so make sure that these aren't needed by your internal network.

-Mark

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:18 PM
  • I did the same thing (installed an older VPN client)... i got fed up and did a clean install of Vista..  i could not get the new one to work reliably and got tired of trying to figure out the problem.  System Restore did not work either...
    Friday, December 01, 2006 10:52 PM
  • Cisco has released a new VPN BETA Client and is available to All those who have a Cisco login for their website.

Filename:  vpnclient-win-msi-4.8.01.0590-k9-x86.exe

Size:  10.4MB

Released Date:  November 22nd 2006

I would link it to my personal forum site for download, but I'm already being charged for bandwidth overages and don't want to get charged anymore.  Any company that has Cisco appliances should have access to the Cisco site to be able to login and download all types of Cisco software including the VPN client.

Alternatively, if you are the administrator, have you considered the SSL VPN Client?  Much easier to use and all it requires is Java be installed on the users system.  If you are not the Network Administrator, have you checked with them to see if they have the SSL VPN Client enabled on the concentrator for use?  It's a 10 minute process to set it up for anyone who knows what they are doing.

Hope this helps a little...At least now you know that there is a solution available instead of tweaking services.

Jim

Friday, December 22, 2006 5:00 PM
  • I found the new VPN client at this address. http://vpnclient.clearchannel.com/ I don't know if it works.

Regards,

Frank

Friday, December 29, 2006 6:14 AM
  • I'm using it and It works 1 time out of 20.
    Completely unreliable and unusable imo.
    Cisco please get a WORKING beta out the door ASAP.
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:12 PM
  • I have a similar problem, I installed vpn client v4.8.01.0590 ok, but I can't connect. The Cisco client fails to connect to the vpn gateway and returns error 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

I've completely disabled the windows firewall and eliminated my NAT router from my network setup (connect directly to my cable modem), it still fails. I have another Windows XP machine on the same network using the a 4.7 vpn client, it connects without issue.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be? I've read that this client is supposed to work with Vista. I'm using Vista 6.0 build 6000.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:00 AM
  • I am getting the same 412 error.  I have tried fresh installs of 4.8.01.0590 and 4.8.02.0010.  Has anyone had this error and resolved it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Jeff, I still haven't resolved it (tried 4.8.02.0010), but there is another discussion ongoing about this issue: http://geekswithblogs.net/evjen/archive/2007/01/01/102429.aspx

If you find a solution please post it, I'll do the same. Thanks
    Friday, February 02, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Jamie,

Can you please confirm the following:

• Vista Edition and Build (RTM etc)
    • Cisco VPN Client Version
    • Exact error code from the Cisco VPN
    • Have you confirmed that the Cisco VPN Virtual Adapter is not trying to use an IP V6 IP address?  I have seen this a couple of times and it's caused numerous headaches.
    • Where does the "error 412" come up?  Does it actually connect to the VPN Gateway?  Or does it not even get that far? 

I apologize for all the questions, but they will certainly help.

Thank You

Jim

Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:22 PM
  • I'm running RTM Vista Version 6.0 Build 6000. It was downloaded as a DVD ISO from my msdn license.
    The latest VPN client I've tested is 4.8.02.0010 (same error).

The exact error message from the VPN client is:
    "Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client. Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding."

The error appears after I click "Connect". I see "Contacting the security gateway at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx..." for about 15-20 seconds, then the error pops up.

Also, I am attempting to connect using "Transparent Tunneling" with "IPSec over UDP (NAT/PAT)" which afaik is the only configuration supported by my company.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I work with a company called LodgeNet StayOnline and when I am in the field I need to connect via our VPN to get to our servers at the home office.  I am running the Vista RC1 beta and had problems with v.4.7.00.0533 so I inquired with our ISS team to have them download all newly released clients from Cisco's website.  By the end of the day they had these versions:

v.4.8.01.0300

v.4.8.01.0590

v.4.8.02.0010

I decided to go with the newest install thinking that it would work the best with vista, seeing as it was the newest.  Unfortunately it didn't work and every time I tried to connect it wouldn't let me.  Upon trying to install it again, vista notified me that there was a message on my interactive desktop (virtual desktop where legacy installation/execution of software is performed).  Upon entering the interactive desktop there was a sign in box waiting for me.  So I tried to sign in and I got Error 453.  So I cancelled and hoped that the icon on my desktop would work; nope, I got Error 412.  So I decided to uninstall and then intall from v.4.8.01.0300, this too proved a failier and it gave me Error 403.  Upon letting windows diagnose this error, it said that my firewall needed to open up a spicific TCP port 17xx.  Knowing full well that our support team wouldn't do this just for me, I tried to upgrad to v.4.8.01.0590.  Upon rebooting and starting the interface I got and error code (sorry can't remember) and after diagnosing the problem with Vista, I was told that Vista couldn't start the virtual interface.  So I finally go to Cisco's website and read up on the problem, tried their advice and still nothing.  Once this didn't work, I resolved to repartition my hard drive and make a dual boot of Vista and XP and then VPN through XP.  This worked, of course, but I still wanted to get it working in Vista (it's the engineer in me).  I decided to upgrade from v.4.8.01.0590 to v.4.8.02.0010.  With the upgrade moving smoothly and no errors I figured this fixed it, but I was wrong.  So I uninstalled the software, rebooted my machine.  And I should let you know that, at least in RC1, this reboot may take a while (took me 30min, although it could have been other problems).  Once rebooted I verified that the software had been uninstaled and removed from: Start Menu, Control Panels-Uninstall/Install Program list, and also it's folder in Program Files.  I then rebooted once more as a just incase scinerio and talked with my ISS team.  They told me that the v.4.8.01.0590 was a Vista Beta version, created specifically for Vista and it's file system.  So after the previous reboot I re-installed v.4.8.01.0590, followed all the prompts then rebooted.  Upon rebooting I opened the client, created my connection profile and started it up.  I was able to log in as with v.4.8.02.0010, although this time it made the connection instead of timing out.  So here is the skinny:

v.4.8.01.0590 (vista beta edition)

Start -> All Programs -> Startup -> (Right-Click on VPN Client, select Properties) -> Verify that the "Start In" path is only for the .exe file

• ex.   "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\" "log in"  (wrong) -> "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\" (right)

Once this is done, reboot once more just incase there are any other installs pending or straggling code waiting to be installed for the client. 

After the reboot you should be fine, try the connection and you should be up.  Please note that the connection may take a little longer than in XP

Please note:

I am not a Microsoft Employee, only a Network Engineer who likes to solve problems

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:38 PM
  • I recognized that there can be some issues with the router/firewall as well.

I have tried all the versions of the VPN client but wasn´t able to get it working until i opened up some ports in my Router/firewall.

What i did was creating a rule allowing triggering port UDP 500 to input UDP 49260-49290.

Now it works like a charm....  ;)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:00 PM
  • I am using Cisco VPN 5.0.00.0090 which can be downloaded from CISCO if you have the correct account rights (this is the one which works with VISTA)

It still has problems and when installed, initially generates a "402" error so having got the software and installed it, do a google with CISCO VISTA 402 VPN and one of the technet articles which appears tells you that you need a vcf file, where you need to put it and also how to edit it with some additional strange line.

Having done all of that, I can now get it to work, as in connect to our remote network. At the moment although I am connected, I cannot see anything at the other end, that is the next problem I am seeking to solve

Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Boo Hoo Hoo

I can not get past the 412 error.  I followed Jeff Pullen's advice, but no go.  I still get the 412.  My Xp Pro machines work great so I know it is on the client side.

Help!!!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I have the Cisco Beta Client 5.0 which accordning to Cisco is Vista aware.  No install issues, no wierd issues like with the 4.x client, however there is one minor problem:

When I go to VPN in, we require a smartcard.  The middelware under XP would prompt for a pin and the tunnel would be created.  Now vista thorws a msg box that the client is trying to communicate (the msg box is on the admin desktop, click to see it).  When I do, it shows me the pin in dialog and I do, buth in moving to the admin desktop the VPN client kills the tunnel / request.  Has anyone else seen this or have a solution?

Ken

Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:18 PM
  • I cannot thanks you enough JanneZ! I have literally been working in vain on this problem for weeks, usually averaging four hours a sitting (I can be real stubborn, especially since my co-workers were able to get everything working with seemingly identical configurations.)

Anyway, after trying dozens of  fixes without success, that port-triggering solution worked for me. To be honest, I'm a developer that knows very little about networking, and I am not sure why my configuration and router required this...regardless, this is one of the happiest tech days for me in weeks, I cannot thank you enough, you made my day...no, my week!
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Im running 5.0.00.o320 on Vista with no problems, downloaded it from cisco's website.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:36 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928310

Announcement from MS about the problem (though Vista is not mentioned by them).

Added UseLegacyIKEPort=0 to the end of the .pcf file, and v4.8 worked like a charm Smile
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:25 AM
  • I am running vista business and vpn 5.0.... and am getting the dreaded 412 error. I have added vpn to the allowed programs in the firewall setting and have the settings for port triggering on the router as follows: triggered range start & stop 500 - forwarded range start and stop 500. This was done for the 4500 port as well.

Basesed on the previous post I tried setting the forwarding the start and stop to 49260-49290 for both the triggered ports 500 and 4500. However I still get the 412 error. Please advise Smile
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

I plan to install the Cisco VPN client as well on my Windows Vista Business. I was wondering if any of you guys tried running it on Windows XP compatibility mode to see if it made any difference.

Thanks,
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Sorry I hadn't read all of the thread but I have been installing cisco vpn clients on both xp pro sp2 and vista business based workstations. Client Version 5.0.00.0340 works perfectly on Vista, and for XP we are using Version 4.8.01.0300. Both work perfectly and I didnt have to do anything to the builtin firewall on both O/S's. But I guess this is not the same for all clients and some tweaking may be necessary with the firewall to allow the vpn client through.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Hi JanneZ,

I have installed the VPN 5.0 in Windows Vista and i am able to connect. But i am getting the below error message:

" The client did not match the firewall policy configured on the central site VPN device.  Cisco Systems Integrated Client Firewall should be enabled or installed on your computer."

If you come across like, please help me.. How to set-up this error message.

Appreciated your help on this.

Thanks,

Arun

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:36 AM
  • Your concentrator has a firewall requirement checked and it is wanting the Integrated Cisco Firewall active before it will allow a connection.

When the client is installed, it yells at you that you cannot install the integrated firewall.

Modify the settings on your concentrator and viola

Good luck.

Cliff

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:53 PM
  • I have tried to uninstall the vpn client and now it is like hungup in the middle. After several reboots it still does not remove the old version and new version keep on giving errror that you have old version unistall that andthen reinstall. I have removed all the registery entries also but could not get rid of vpn.
    error 28000:
    5.0.01.0600, you must uninstall the previous version of Cisco
    Systems VPN Client 5.0.01.0600, using the Add/Remove
    Program Files option in the Control Panel. Then restart your
    system.
    Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:57 PM
  • HI Arun2007 ,

have anybody helped you with this issue ?

I have experienced the same problem but I still cannot get rid of it. Please provide me with the possible solution because I badly need to connect to our LAN but I am not able to do so for now.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:43 AM
  • Hi Cliff,

what exactly did you mean with concentrator. Could you please clarify it for me ? I am experiencing the same issue for weeks and I unable to solve it.

THNX

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:47 AM
  • I've been trying to follow all the posts, but have not come across anything resembling my issue:

I'm trying to install Cisco VPN Client 4.8.02.0010 on a XP SP2 machine. When I get to the Network install, I recieve an error "DNE Network Install encountered an error and...." then an error report goes to Microsoft.

I'm a simple director of training with an MCP so my small company considers me the IT guy. Has anyone encountered a similar issue and if so, how did you work around it?

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with 5.0.00.0340. 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:27 AM
  •  

Hi,

Have you resolved your problem?

I having same problem but as far as control panel concern - the software is not installed.

I went through a manual uninstall process - cleaned up all i could - but still cannot install due to 28000 error.

I am using Vista Professional.

Regards

Mark

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:15 PM
  • I seem to have narrowed the cause to the PCMCIA connection as BOTH a Linksys wireless card and a SPRINT broadband card yield the same errors.

I'll continue to muddle through until I can resolve.

Bobby

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:59 PM
  • I have spent some time on this issue for our company and it seems the third party software (Linksys, Sprint) are having some conflict with Windows XP Pro SP2. If I uninstall the third party device managing software and allow Windows to manage these various conncetions, we do not recieve an error or blue screen.

For the dial-up on the Sprint card, I used Network Properties and dialed into the Sprint network and our VPN connections has been error-free.

Granted, I am no expert - but this seems to have resolve my VPN issues and I hope it may assist others. 

Good luck!

Bobby

Sunday, November 04, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I have the same problem on an XP box.  After upgrading to Vista, the problem is still there.   Tried all sorts of stuff with deleting everything under the sun from the registry manually (from Cisco's support area).  Nothing seems to convince the computer that the Cisco VPN is not installed.  Of course it isn't listed in add/remove programs so impossible to follow the instructions to uninstall previous version and new version won't install.  Have tried at least 4 different versions to install and all give that same error message.

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:58 PM
  • VPN Installation error 28000. I had the similar issue. I tried to remove VPN using a 3rd party software however VPN disappeared from Add/Remove programmes however didnot get properly unistalled from the computer. I tried to find a solution about this on the internet but couldn't find much. But I have found a way to fix it, hence posting this here, might help others.

Create a ini file: Make sure the ProductFile in here is same as the name of your product file. Also make sure Remove Previous is set to 1.

[WiseInstaller]
    Runtime9XVersion=2.0.2600.2
    RuntimeNTVersion=2.0.2600.2
    ProductFile=vpnclient_setup.msi
    ProductCode={14FCFE7C-AB86-428A-9D2E-BFB6F5A7AA6E}
    ProductVersion=5.0.1
    ProductName=Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.01.0600
    Remove Previous=1
    AdminError=You must have administrator rights to run this installation. Please login as an administrator and re-run this installation.
    ExistError=%s Version %s is already installed. You must uninstall the existing version before installing %s Version %s. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of %s?
    SpaceError=Could not create temporary file, not enough free temporary disk space. Please free up disk space and rerun this installation.
    WiseInitPrefix=Initializing
    WiseInitSuffix=Wizard...
    WiseInitLangPrompt=
    WiseInitLangDefault=English,1033
    Runtime9X=instmsi.exe
    RuntimeSize9X=1708856
    RuntimeNT=instmsiw.exe
    RuntimeSizeNT=1822520
    DelayReboot=1

Create a folder on your C drive and copy both the ini file and the vpn msi file to that folder. also try to download the files instmsiw.exe and instmsi.exe and copy it to the same folder. Open command promt and do a silent install. In my case

vpnclient_setup.msi /quiet (from the folder I copied the files to)

Reboot your system and run the silent install again. In the first case it unistalls your previous version but does not install vpn. so after you restart and run the silent install again it should install fine. Once its installed it will automatically reboot your computer. 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 2:01 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks a lot for the post, Abheek! I tried uninstalling the VPN Client using your suggestion..but unfortunately it didn't work Sad After rebooting I started again the .msi file as described but no automatic reboot followed. Any suggestions why this happened? Any Vista security settings which don't allow automatic reboot?
    By the way, my VPN Client version is 5.0.02.0090. I just copied the original .ini file and changed only the part Remove Previous=1 (it was Remove Previous=0). Do I have to change anything else since my version is different?
    Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Tsveti
    Monday, January 07, 2008 8:52 PM
  • At least it was something different to try.  No luck though.

When running it with /quiet option I get no result whatsoever and without the /quiet  it still has the same error message.

The flag to have it remove the old version in the .ini file sounded promising but doesn't actually seem to do anything.

Here'e my error message again.   I get this when trying to install any version.  Can't uninstall of course because it isn't in the control panel add/remove programs anymore.  Have tried the delete all registry entries even vaguely mentioning cisco thing, no luck there either.

Installer Information

Error 28000: Before intalling the Cisco System VPN Client

5.0.01.0600, you must uninstall the previous version of Cisco

Systems Secure VPN Client or IRE Safenet\SoftPK Client, using

the Add/Remove Program Files option in the Control Panel. Then

restart your system.

So it won't install without uninstalling and there is nothing to uninstall.   Catch 22.  Been stuck this way for months.

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi!

As you might have read, I've also had the same problem as yours: same Error 28000. I managed to fix the problem!
    I did the same things as you but no success.
    Then I tried with a registry optimizer: in my case - WinASO 3.1. And it worked! Now my VPN Client is working perfectly on Vista!
    If you decide to use WinASO, here are the sections of the registry you might find something left by Cisco:
    - Add/Remove Programs
    - Deep Registry Scan
    - Program Shortcuts
    Check the others too, I'm not quite sure which ones were exactly: I did that last week.
    What I did was to search within the results for everything with Cisco/VPN or Deterministic Networks Enhancer in the description.
    If it doesn't work at the first time after you try, take a careful look at the results, I remember that some of the names within the registry had nothing to do with Cisco at first sight.

I hope this will help!

Tsveti
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Hi!!,

Thanks Tsveti

I had the same problem as describen in this post. Having tried 5 different shareware/freeware registry cleaners, i finally came about your post and purchased WinASO. It worked like a charm.

Thanks

/Thomas

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:45 PM
  • I just want to let people know that this network fix (thanks JanneZ) resolved the 412 error with the Cisco VPN client (5.0.02.0090) on Vista. It's odd that I did not have a problem with XP, but when it works it works!!!

Saturday, January 19, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I was going thorugh all these messages.

I have Vista Ultimate. I installed Cisco VPN 500001.600 without any hitch.

I could connect to my work network. The packets sent were excellent but the packets I receive are ZERO.

I tried through wireless network as well as wired connection on my Dell Inspiron 1525.

I tried pinging the IP address of a  machine at my work palce. It returns the machine name but Request times out.

I added the program in my Norton Internet Security 2008 Personal Firewall and tried the connection.

Then switched off this as well as the Windows Firewall.

But of not use.

Pl advise.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:07 PM
  • I have an issue similar to “bgvr”

I setup a new PC with Vista business preloaded and installed Cisco client Cisco VPN Client 5.0.03.0530 on it without a hitch. I log in the VPN and am accepted into our network; receive an IP address then nothing. I can’t ping or scan anything on the network nor can I see the station from our network. If I run a “Diagnose Network Problems” I receive the error unable to contact DNS. We have many users that use VPN to work from offsite locations and have never had this issue using WIN XP, this is happening only to our users that have Vista. I am trying to troubleshoot this for our users. I have switched off the Windows Firewall and disabled the TCP/IPv6 using TCP/IPv4 as is our standard. Our network group sees no issues with the concentrator or the network configurations, we are not deploying Vista as a standard at this time but are having to deal with Corporate users that use there own equipment. This is becoming an issue and we need to have a resolution ASAP. HELP!!!!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:22 PM
  • I had simmilar issue on vista Laptop few weeks ago!!

This is due to your (laptop or desktop) unloading incorectly the obtaiend DHCP @ on the Cisco virtual network adapter when disconecting your vpn session.

Try to check your cisco virtual network adapter it must be "obtain an IP @ automatically" and "obtain DNS server @ automatically" before starting your vpn client.

Hope this help keep me update on my email shan.neil@dhl.com 

Neil

PS: I had this error in the past on my laptop Reason 403: Unable to contact Security Gateway" intially posted by JanneZ.

The error message looks like an Network issue but for me it wasn't the case!!

If you use certificates for your vpn authentication it's a problem with your certificate it must be a "Personal Information Exchange - PKCS #12" format with pfx file extension when you import it on you desktop or laptop.

If not try to retrieve your certificate in this format from your certificate management system (CA).

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:12 PM
  • Neil

We aren't using cert’s, the issue on the test system was from the get go. I haven't gotten an error message unless I try to run a “Diagnose Network Problems” I receive the error unable to contact DNS I have noticed that most of the calls we have gotten with Vista has been after SP1 was installed.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Hi Bud,

Regarding your clients situation, i noticed on my laptop that after establishing my vpn session i had similar behavior as you mentioned in your post.

vpn comes up but simple command like ping no answer and I simply run ipconfig /all to check my network status and I was surprised because the Cisco virtual adapter kept the ip@ obtained from the previous vpn session.

Did you check your clients network status when they have this behavior? check with ipconfig /all I’m pretty sure that the cisco virtual adapter kept the ip@ from your previous vpn session?

Keep me updated

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Our VPN users have asigned IP given to them and these don't change The DHCP database is static So I recieve the same IP no matter what computer I login with

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I know this is old but...could you explain what you did?  I am getting the same error.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Hello, i posted this some 18 months ago, and it still works...  Wink

"I recognized that there can be some issues with the router/firewall as well.

I have tried all the versions of the VPN client but wasn´t able to get it working until i opened up some ports in my Router/firewall.

What i did was creating a rule allowing triggering port UDP 500 to input UDP 49260-49290.

Now it works like a charm.... "

Regards

Janne

Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Ken,

I also tried several different and newer versions along with the pcf edit, but still get the interactive services dialog box popping up and ending the connection. Have you been able to resolve the issue on your end? I don't know if it's a Vista security policy issue or a Cisco issue. I do know that I need a solution for this issue. Has anyone got anything else to add to a possible solution.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:03 AM
  • JanneZ said:

I recognized that there can be some issues with the router/firewall as well.

Now it works like a charm....  ;)

Will this work for Windows XP Sp3? I have an end user in Isreal that is connecting to a pptp vpn, and then connecting to our cisco vpn client and getting the same error message.

Thanks,
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Hi JanneZ,

I have this 412 issue and I have tried to add the ports to the exception list in Windows firewall, but I guess I am not doing that right.  I can't find anywhere to add the ports in my Belkin router.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:54 AM
  • I have but that was like 2 months ago. Thankfully, just disappeared all of a sudden. Anyway, if any of you guys want some VPN protection for your ipad, better check out this great <a href="http://www.vpnchoice.com/blog/ipad-vpn/">VPN for ipad</a> I myself am using. Trust me it works.
    • Edited by giuseph90 Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:58 AM