none
Windows 7 freezing on a new laptop after installing updates

Question

• New Dell Vostro 1320 laptop with Windows 7 installed just last week on it.

Immediately after configuring it, I was able to access things, including Internet, without any problems. However, after it installed the following updates, I noticed that it would freeze as soon as I would launch any browser (firefox/chrome/IE) to browse any website. Alt-Ctrl-Del wouldn't work, so I had to hard reboot the laptop. Even when I tried downloading just the Microsoft Security A/V updates, it hung up again.

Microsoft Visual C++2008 redistributable -x86 9.0.30729.17....
    Security Update for Package_for_KB979683
    Security Update for Package_for_KB980232
    Security Update for Package_for_KB981332
    Update for Microsoft Windows KB980408

Restored to a date previous to the above updates, confirmed that the Windows updates had gone, and it started working fine again. Only to see after a day that the updates were downloaded and installed again. And the same problem has resurfaced.

Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help. The laptop has Windows 7 Professional 32-bit installed on it. I have the free Zone alarm firewall too installed on it (which I read somewhere may cause such problems with Microsoft Security AntiVirus -- however when I shut it down, and made sure to terminate the zlclient process, the freeze still occurred). Please let me know if any other information is reqd. Thanks!

Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just get rid of ZoneAlarm. Although it is a good programme as such, it really doesn't work well with Windows 7 (whatever the editor may say). Moreover, Windows own firewall is not bad at all. Nothing to do with the one supplied with XP.

At least for the time being, don't try "tools that make your computer run better, faster, and make it stronger".

Some antivirus programmes said to be compliant with Windows 7 specs will sort of kill your computer, same goes for registry optimizers. Third party firewalls may be good, but wait until Windows 7 has been completely apprehended by their respective editors.

Cheers

Rem

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 07, 2010 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by jsnova Friday, May 07, 2010 12:42 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just get rid of ZoneAlarm. Although it is a good programme as such, it really doesn't work well with Windows 7 (whatever the editor may say). Moreover, Windows own firewall is not bad at all. Nothing to do with the one supplied with XP.

At least for the time being, don't try "tools that make your computer run better, faster, and make it stronger".

Some antivirus programmes said to be compliant with Windows 7 specs will sort of kill your computer, same goes for registry optimizers. Third party firewalls may be good, but wait until Windows 7 has been completely apprehended by their respective editors.

Cheers

Rem

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 07, 2010 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by jsnova Friday, May 07, 2010 12:42 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Rem, thank you very much. I have uninstalled ZoneAlarm. For now it seems to be working. I will keep an eye on how things go and would provide a further update tomorrow (unless the problem comes up again earlier!).
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Thanks again, Rem. It did solve my problem.

I have not had the laptop freeze after I uninstalled ZoneAlarm firewall.

Friday, May 07, 2010 12:46 PM