none
How to test TPM chip to see if it's faulty RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way from within Windows to test the TPM chip on the computer to see if it's ok, or if it's failing or unreliable?
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi RJO22.

I'm not aware of any kind of user-sided test you could execute to check the status of the TPM chip: the simplest thing you could do is opening the tpm.msc snap-in of the Microsoft Management Console ad check the status of the chip itself. The "Security" section of the Windows Defender Security Center also provides you with some information and troubleshooting for the TPC chip.
    A more comprehensive set of test could be executed by using the Windows Hardware Lab Kit and they're described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/device-trustedplatformmodule-tests.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Thanks, i'm more looking to confirm if the chip is potentially bad, as tpm.msc keeps going from seeing it to not seeing it.

I came across that same link, but i'm not quite sure how to use HLK, or issue that test once i have it installed.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi

You can refer to the following link for more help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/initialize-and-configure-ownership-of-the-tpm

Have a nice day

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Thanks, i'm more looking to confirm if the chip is potentially bad, as tpm.msc keeps going from seeing it to not seeing it.

I came across that same link, but i'm not quite sure how to use HLK, or issue that test once i have it installed.

You can refer to the "Troubleshoot the TPM" document or execute the Get-Tpm PowerShell cmdlet, which returns information about the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on the current computer.
    You could execute the below commands from an administrative command prompt

• wmic /namespace:\\root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm path win32_tpm get IsEnabled_InitialValue to check whether the TPM is enabled
    • wmic /namespace:\\root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm path win32_tpm get IsActivated_InitialValue to check whether the TPM is activated

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as‘Answered’as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best Regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:48 AM