none
Logon disclaimer in Windows 7

Question

• Hello,

Not sure if this is a question regarding "security". It is more to do with Local Policies (well, erh... security). But anyway my appologies if I am in the wrong forum.

I am trying to configure my Windows 7 desktop to display a disclaimer, at the log-on screen, warning the user about the COMPUTER MISUSE ACT

(It is a British thing ;-) In simple terms, is a legal disclaimer warning the user not to alter, modify, delete, reverse engineer, distribute or make copies of any data in the PC, plus not to use it for anything illegal.)

In previous versions of Windows, this used to be done at the Local Policy of the machine (or Group/Domain Policy). However I am lost in Windows 7.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    P.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:21 AM

Answers

• Hi pmdci,
    is this what ur looking for:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "LegalNoticeCaption"="Security Notice From NtWaK0!"
    "LegalNoticeText"="You Have Used NtWaK0 Registry FIxer On This Computer :), HINT : You Should monitor your network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or to otherwise cause damage to this Computer."

i hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    RR
    • Proposed as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi pmdci,
    is this what ur looking for:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "LegalNoticeCaption"="Security Notice From NtWaK0!"
    "LegalNoticeText"="You Have Used NtWaK0 Registry FIxer On This Computer :), HINT : You Should monitor your network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or to otherwise cause damage to this Computer."

i hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    RR
    • Proposed as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

RR's suggestion is correct. For more information about the Winlogon registry, please refer to the following article:

LegalNoticeCaption

Thanks,
    Novak

Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:31 AM