none
Task Scheduler corrupt tasks

Question

• I amended some of the tasks I created in the Task Scheduler, and then had probelms after a power outage. I restored to an earlier time, and all seemed fine.

When I next opened Task Scheduler, I got "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with." twice for the 2 tasks I'd amended. I don't need these now, as I've replaced them with a single new task, so I just want to get rid of them. The problem is that I don't know where to look in the registry or file system in Vista (I could do it in 95 ;)

Could someone tell me how to stop getting these messages
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Commonly Task Scheduler task image is located in : C:\Windows\System32\Tasks, please delete related corrupted image in this folder and see if the issue occurs.

2.     Delete related registry item in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please locate to related folder with the same ID displayed on the error message, and delete this item.

Note: Pay attention to back up your registry before doing any modification.

Meanwhile, you can also visit the following website on similar issue first.

Task Scheduler task image corrupted

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f86919c0-6a09-4f08-955a-76084a37db73/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.     Commonly Task Scheduler task image is located in : C:\Windows\System32\Tasks, please delete related corrupted image in this folder and see if the issue occurs.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please locate to related folder with the same ID displayed on the error message, and delete this item.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f86919c0-6a09-4f08-955a-76084a37db73/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Thanks for that - I hadn't realised they'd lost their extensions, so it was simply a case of removing them. There were no entries in TaskCache - I didn't think of looking in Windows NT either!

I had seen that thread and several similar on other forums, but they all seemed to be related to RSS feeds rather than a simple file error.

Thanks again - all sorted
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Thanks so much for the help. My problem was the media center update and when I followed the solution, the problem went away
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for that - I hadn't realised they'd lost their extensions, so it was simply a case of removing them. There were no entries in TaskCache - I didn't think of looking in Windows NT either!

I had seen that thread and several similar on other forums, but they all seemed to be related to RSS feeds rather than a simple file error.

Thanks again - all sorted

You have to delete your task from the below two registry, try to search for the task name.

Deleting the task from the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks will just stop the error message, without deleting the task from the registry below will now allow you to create task with the same task name anymore.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

• Proposed as answer by Eugene B Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:23 AM
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:23 AM
  • MediaCenter for me too!  In Windows 7 the message in Task Scheduler was for "RecordingRestart" and "DispatchRecoveryTasks"  just so MS knows.  I didn't change anything to cause this besides my normal Guide updates and TV scheduling.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:34 PM
  • I have spent four days, off and on, trying to find and fix the "task scheduler image corrupted" error on my computer.  I finally found your suggestion late last night.  Found the folder in tasks this morning, deleted it and no more error.  It was so easy, once you showed me how.  Thank you.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thank you my friend, followed your steps which took care of the problem. 
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Thank you for your help in solving what I thought was my only Task Scheduler probem.  However, when I now open up the Scheduler I get the followng error message:

The selected Task "{0}" no longer exists.  To see the currrent tasks, click Refresh.

When I click Refresh, I get the same error message.

Any help would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention thaat there is no {0} task in the Task sub-folder under System 32.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Thank you for your help in solving what I thought was my only Task Scheduler probem.  However, when I now open up the Scheduler I get the followng error message:

The selected Task "{0}" no longer exists.  To see the currrent tasks, click Refresh.

I forgot to mention thaat there is no {0} task in the Task sub-folder under System 32.

Is there anyone who knows about this issue?

I would appreciate any help possible

thx in advance

Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:10 PM

Is there anyone who knows about this issue?

I would appreciate any help possible

thx in advance

To remove these non-existent tasks, go to the registry key right below "Tasks":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

Delete the registry keys that are named the same as the ones coming up in the error messages (in your case there should be a key named "{0}") and that should remove all trace of them from the Task Scheduler.

• Proposed as answer by OranL Friday, July 08, 2011 1:07 AM
    Friday, July 08, 2011 1:06 AM
  • TYVM for your response, but unfortunately there is no task {0} iin the tree section.  I even checked all the subfolders in the section and could not find it.

The following are the sub folders listed under the tree section:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\{1A601666-6CCB-4791-8933-C703AB0F77F2}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\{2E424580-871D-482D-AB68-8BED6757241B}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\{347409EC-0598-4A6A-B680-B52F7092DD51}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\{C7B77706-B58E-4735-9359-D21EB55D034F}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\{C99D7005-EBAF-4B6B-B665-F858C72DA162}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Ad-Aware Update (Weekly)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Advanced System Optimizer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\CLMLSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\DVDAgent
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\ebc3e268
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\fac2990
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Google Updater and Installer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Hewlett-Packard
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\HP online update program
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\HPCeeScheduleForScubaJoe13
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\RecoveryCDWin7
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\SidebarExecute
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\WPD
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\\(default)

Maybe this will provide some hepful information that can aid me in resolving this issue.

Again, TYVM for your assistance.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi,
    In order to fix this, you have to delete the actual task XML  file that contains the task settings, then rerun the Task Scheduler to confirm that the error is gone, then import a non-corrupted version of the task back into the Task Scheduler.
    Most of the work you have to do is to locate the task file in question.
    The task files are located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks.
    If you try to open the task folder, you might get a UAC prompt asking you for permission to access the folder, this is OK, just click continue to access the folder.
    In my case, the corrupt task was "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".
    This was a Microsoft task, therefore I had to go into the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic folder to locate the actual task xml file,
    which was named "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".
    Once you have located the task file, close the task scheduler, back up the corrupted task file to any location of your choice, then delete it, then open the task scheduler to confirm that the error has gone.
    What you now need to do is to export the non-corrupted  task from another computer or virtual machine, and import it into the task scheduler.
    To export the task in question from another computer, follow these steps.
    1. Open the Task Scheduler, then drill down into the task in question, then right-click on the task and select "Export...".
    2. Save the exported XML file to a location of your choosing, then copy it over to the affected computer.
    3. Once you are back on the affected computer, make sure that the task scheduler is closed, then you need to run the task scheduler as an Administrator.
    4. To run the task scheduler as an Administrator, click  Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, then locate "Task Scheduler", right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".
    5. Once the task scheduler is open, drill down to the folder where the task is supposed to be located, right-click on a blank portion of the window, and select "Import Task...".
    6. Once you have imported the task, a "Create task" window will open as shown below, just click OK to it.
    7.  The task should then be successfully imported, you can then close the task scheduler, and the problem should be fully resolved.

http://winostips.com
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:06 PM
  • When I try to open Task Scheduler, I get 57 error messages as soon as I open it (each stating that a different thing is corrupt or has been tampered with), and anything I do then within task scheduler just leads to another 57 error messages and nothing else.

I just tried displaying all running tasks and I got a "Catastrophic Failure" error message.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:04 PM
  • hi,
    i had a similar issue with my task sched/ corrupted tasks.
    BY FAR the most thorough way to solve the issue is using regedit for the tasks, as well as correcting the corrupted tasks in system32 file.
    simply deleting registry subkeys and/or the tasks from the scheduler may solve the error message, but it won't re-instate and uncorrupted task.
    to do that you have to delete and import the tasks. it's easy:
    all the steps can be thoroughly described to get the correct solution in the following microsoft support article:
    MS10-092, specifically this support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2305420
    although it deals with a problem in the task sched caused by a windows update, the actual problem is exactly the same, with the same corrupt task messages.
    this is the correct way to solve the issue, it takes a few steps but it's not difficult. just follow it closely, and only fix the tasks which are an issue in your system.
    this is the most thorough way to fix this issue.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:40 AM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 7.

I followed the path C;windows\system32\tasks/microsoft/windows\perf track and deleted the Background Config Surveyor  folder. I then copied the folder from my son's computer onto a memory stick and and pasted it into the perf track folder.

All is now working as it should with no error message.

Friday, August 30, 2013 8:25 AM