none
Windows 7 enterprise 32-bit to 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have an eval of Wondows 7 Enterprise 32-bit. I want to try the 64-bit now. Will this be a fresh install? Will I lose everything i have now on 32 bit. I am not interested on doing a dual boot.

help

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• I currently have an eval of Wondows 7 Enterprise 32-bit. I want to try the 64-bit now. Will this be a fresh install? Will I lose everything i have now on 32 bit. I am not interested on doing a dual boot.

help

Hi

In all cases where you are installing a different architecture  (eg: 32-bit or 64-bit) you must back up your data and perform a clean installation.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:30 PM

All replies

help

Hi

In all cases where you are installing a different architecture  (eg: 32-bit or 64-bit) you must back up your data and perform a clean installation.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Will i be able to restore a 32-bit full backup to the freshly installed 64-bit?

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Will i be able to restore a 32-bit full backup to the freshly installed 64-bit?

Hi

No, you cannot use a full backup because of the differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit.

You can use   Windows 7 features - Windows Easy Transfer-Download and Instructions  to migrate your user files and settings from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version, but you will need to reinstall all of your software programs.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:31 PM