none
Can't pin items to taskbar?! RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I was designing my desktop to make it look more clean, but since those shortcut signs on the icon bothered me I decided to look up a video on how to delete them. Later then after I delete the shortcut signs I find out that I can no longer pin icon or items to my taskbar. If I right click and press pin to taskbar it will not show up on the taskbar but if I right click it will say unpin from taskbar. Is there anyway I can fix this? Thank you. -Dylan
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:52 AM

Answers

• Can you restore your computer the time when it was working by using the System Restore feature?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by corrupted taskbar files.

Please press Windows + R to open Run, and copy following command and press enter:

%APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

In the popped up windows, please clear all items and restart the computer. Then, please pin the application again.

If the issue still persists, let try to repair or create might missing keys in registry:

Please know that missing registry value data for lnkfile registry key may also cause this issue.

Note this key defines the behavior of all shortcut or .lnk files on the system. The registry value data in question, IsShortcut, can be accidentally deleted when user tries to hide and remove the arrow overlay icon on shortcuts.

1.        Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
    2.        Navigate to the following registry key:
    3.        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
    4.        Right click on the right pane, and select New -> String Value (REG_SZ) to create a new registry value.
    5.        Name the new registry value as IsShortcut . No value data required.
    6.        Restart the computer.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:37 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Can you restore your computer the time when it was working by using the System Restore feature?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by corrupted taskbar files.

Please press Windows + R to open Run, and copy following command and press enter:

%APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

In the popped up windows, please clear all items and restart the computer. Then, please pin the application again.

If the issue still persists, let try to repair or create might missing keys in registry:

Please know that missing registry value data for lnkfile registry key may also cause this issue.

Note this key defines the behavior of all shortcut or .lnk files on the system. The registry value data in question, IsShortcut, can be accidentally deleted when user tries to hide and remove the arrow overlay icon on shortcuts.

1.        Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
    2.        Navigate to the following registry key:
    3.        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
    4.        Right click on the right pane, and select New -> String Value (REG_SZ) to create a new registry value.
    5.        Name the new registry value as IsShortcut . No value data required.
    6.        Restart the computer.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:37 AM
    Owner