How to Perform In-Place Upgrade of Windows Vista Home Professional amd64 RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

For this issue, please navigate to the folder e.g C:\windows\system32 and find Windows Powershell folder. Rename it to somthing else e.g powerback. After this is done, please try to upgrade install again.

For further troubleshooting plan, please post back the CBS.log and setuperr.log here for our research.

C:\WINDOWS\PANTHER\setuperr.log
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 31, 2014 5:29 AM
  • For this issue, please navigate to the folder e.g C:\windows\system32 and find Windows Powershell folder. Rename it to somthing else e.g powerback. After this is done, please try to upgrade install again.

Sorry to report that even after renaming the directory, the setup still produced the same error.

For further troubleshooting plan, please post back the CBS.log and setuperr.log here for our research.

C:\WINDOWS\PANTHER\setuperr.log
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log

I'll be adding to this 'share' as needed/requested: http://1drv.ms/1e6gzyZ

• I've added the CBS log and threw in the WindowsUpdate log.
    • There wasn't a setuperr log in the path you specified, but there was one in "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\", so I added that and the setupact log from the same location.
    • There was a setuperr log in C:\Windows but was 0KB in size.
    • Other logs in %windir%\panther were dated (years old); nothing recent
    • I couldn't find any other [potentially] useful logs elsewhere.

There isn't a 'verbose' log switch or registry key?
    • Edited by JuliusPIV Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by the powershell update, please check the installed update, and then uninstall the installed update named "Powershell 1.0 for vista"

View Installed Updates In Vista
    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2009/04/20/view-installed-updates-in-vista/

Then, try to run the In-place upgrade to see what's going on.

Kate Li

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by the powershell update, please check the installed update, and then uninstall the installed update named "Powershell 1.0 for vista"

View Installed Updates In Vista
    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2009/04/20/view-installed-updates-in-vista/

Then, try to run the In-place upgrade to see what's going on.

Kate Li

Thanks for the reply!

• When I initially tried to perform the in-place upgrade, I received this error even though KB928439 was NOT installed. :(  
    • However, when I checked Windows Features (optionalfeatures.exe) PowerShell and the ISE were both listed as being installed (both were checked)
    • I tried to remove PowerShell and the ISE, by deselecting them, but it returned with: 'An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed.'
    • I manually installed KB928439 & tried the in-place upgrade again which gave the same error  (naturally)
    • I checked Windows Features again and saw that Windows PowerShell was now listed twice.
    • I unchecked Windows PowerShell (and the ISE) but received the same error: 'An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed.'
    • I then uninstalled KB928439 & tried the in-place upgrade again - same error.
    • I tried removing the optional features again - same error.
    • For what its worth, prior to posting here I had already seen http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950376 

So, at the moment

1. Running wmic qfe list full seems to confirm that KB928439 not installed; makes sense because I uninstalled it via programs & features (see hotfixes-wmic.htm in skydrive)
    2. However PowerShell is still listed as being installed/checked in Windows Features
    3. I ran a PowerShell query (yes, powershell works) to check for updates and 928439 IS listed towards the bottom (see hotfixes-powershell.txt in skydrive)
    4. I double & triple checked programs & features/installed updates - 928439 is not listed
    5. I double & triple checked programs & features/installed updates - there's not a single update with PowerShell in the name
    6. Can't do wusa Windows6.0-KB928439-x64.msu /uninstall or wusa /uninstall /kb:<number> as wusa (6.0.6002.180005) doesn't support either of those switches.
    7. I extracted the xml from the msu, changed it from 'install' to 'remove' then tried pkgmgr /n:d:\Windows6.0-KB928439-x64.xml /l:d:\928439n.log
      While that doesn't return an error (%errorlevel% is 0) it happens way too fast suggesting it doesn't work.
    8. I even tried pkgmgr /up:Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell-Package-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.6000.16386 /l:d:\928439up.log
      Just like before, there's no error but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.
    9. I found this: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6a39531f6b23efc0fe550f5e3a3478ea\Windows6.0-KB928439-x64.cab" - Does that tell us anything?

Again, thanks for the help thus far.

• Edited by JuliusPIV Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:41 AM
  • Based on my knowledge, the downloaded updates are temporarily stored under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Once installed, they disappear in about 10 days.

So what's the error now, is it still "remove Windows PowerShell prior to the upgrade"? Please capture a screenshot of that.

Was KB928439  installed successfully now?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Based on my knowledge, the downloaded updates are temporarily stored under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Once installed, they disappear in about 10 days.

That's actually good to know - thank you for that!

So what's the error now, is it still "remove Windows PowerShell prior to the upgrade"? Please capture a screenshot of that.

Yes, the error is still "remove Windows PowerShell prior to the upgrade".  With KB928439 not currently installed, the in-place upgrade still tells me to uninstall PowerShell.  Not sure how a screenshot is going to be helpful - believe me I'm not making it up! :) 

1. When I started this process, KB928439 was not installed
    2. With KB928439 not installed, in-place upgrade tells me to uninstall Windows PowerShell
    3. I cannot uninstall KB928439 because its not installed: Its not listed under Programs & Features & its not listed as an installed under View Installed Updates
    4. So I installed KB928439 manually - it appears to install successfully: no errors on screen and its listed under View Installed Updates
    5. With KB928439 installed, in-place upgrade tell me to uninstall Windows PowerShell
    6. The result in step 5 is expected because KB928439 is installed
    7. I uninstall KB928439 manually - it appears to uninstall successfully: no errors on screen and its & its not listed as an installed under View Installed Updates
    8. With KB928439 not installed again, the in-place upgrade continues to tell me to uninstall Windows PowerShell

As of right now, KB928439 is not installed and the in-place upgrade still tells me to to uninstall Windows PowerShell, and leaves a small, seemingly useless, 'Windows Compatibility Report.htm' on the Desktop.  (See SkyDrive for report file)

Was KB928439  installed successfully now?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

I don't appear to have a problem installing KB928439.  As far as I can tell, it installs, and uninstalls, fine without issue.  But, unless I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950376/en-us) I cannot have PowerShell installed; I cannot have that KB installed.  And its not.

I took screenshots at various stages and saved them to my SkyDrive.

• Edited by JuliusPIV Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:16 AM
  • Please back up C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6a39531f6b23efc0fe550f5e3a3478ea\Windows6.0-KB928439-x64.cab, then delete it. Then restart the server and check if it can upgrade now.

If it still fails, please try below:

a.    Download the tool Autoruns( could you let me know your email address, I will send
    it to you).

b.    Right click autoruns.exe and select Run as administrator.

c.    Click Options from the menu bar and select Filter Options…then check the checkbox before Hide Microsoft entries. Then close the dialog box.

d.    Navigate to Services and Drivers column, then uncheck all non-Microsoft drivers and services. <o:p></o:p>

Then perform the in-place upgrade.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Please back up C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6a39531f6b23efc0fe550f5e3a3478ea\Windows6.0-KB928439-x64.cab, then delete it. Then restart the server and check if it can upgrade now.

Oddly, this directory was missing when I checked today: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6a39531f6b23efc0fe550f5e3a3478ea

I attempted the upgrade anyway but it returned with the same error.  I backed up everything in SoftwareDistribution\Download, deleted everything & attempted the upgrade again - same error.

If it still fails, please try below:

a.    Download the tool Autoruns( could you let me know your email address, I will send
    it to you).

b.    Right click autoruns.exe and select Run as administrator.

c.    Click Options from the menu bar and select Filter Options…then check the checkbox before Hide Microsoft entries. Then close the dialog box.

d.    Navigate to Services and Drivers column, then uncheck all non-Microsoft drivers and services. <o:p></o:p>

Then perform the in-place upgrade.

I found autoruns here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx and did as you suggested.  With all services & drivers enabled, the upgrade still complains about the removal of PowerShell.
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Whoops - I think I just made a terrible mistake:

I forgot to re-enable the services & drivers & ultimately restarted the machine.  Well, now its blue screening on boot.  Is there a way to restore the settings 'offline'?

Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Could you boot to server now? If it still fails, please try to boot into safe mode or Last known Good.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:39 AM
  • I tried Last Known Good, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode - all result in a BSOD.

Is it just a matter of mounting the registry hive and flipping some bits? (e.g.: changing a dword from 0 to 1)

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Please try below and check if we can boot normally now.

-----------------------------------

1. Boot to Recovery console2. Use the backup System registry hiv to replace the current hiv

1. In the Recovery Console.
    2. In CMD, go to:
           %systemroot%\System32\Config\
    3. Run: ren system system.old

1. Go to:
           %systemroot%\System32\Config\regback
    2. Run: copy
           %systemroot%\system32\config\regback\system %systemroot%\system32\config
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. After that, please try to test if the server can boot to normal mode now.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Any updates, JuliusPIV?

JuliusPIV

Northwind Traders

475 Points                10                2                0                       
    Recent Achievements           
    Forums Replies III                                            Forums Answerer II                                            Code Answerer II                                                           
    JuliusPIV's threads                                View Profile           

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:17 AM

1. Boot to Recovery console2. Use the backup System registry hiv to replace the current hiv

2. In CMD, go to:

1. Go to:

Any updates, JuliusPIV?

JuliusPIV

Northwind Traders

475 Points                10                2                0                       
    Recent Achievements           
    Forums Replies III                                            Forums Answerer II                                            Code Answerer II                                                           
    JuliusPIV's threads                                View Profile           

Apologies for the delay.  I will first try your suggestion above followed by system restore if that fails.

I'll do this over the weekend (if not this evening) and update this post.

Thanks!

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:36 PM

2. In CMD, go to:

1. Go to:

This worked to make the system bootable again!  *whew* Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet.

Once I was in I tried the in-place upgrade again, just in case, and it's still blocked.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Please perform the following steps to manually remove the poweshell and see if server can upgrade.

==================

1. Try and reinstall PowerShell by running the install file again, i.e.
    WindowsServer2003-KB926139-x86-ENU.exe

-The uninstall will be listed in
    Add or Remove Programs as follows:
    Windows Server 2003: "Hotfix for Windows
    Server 2003 (KB926139)"
    Windows XP: "Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0"

2. Manually remove the Installation folder(s):

Windows
    PowerShell 1.0 uses Package Installer technology for Windows XP-based and for
    Windows Server 2003-based installations. The location of the Windows PowerShell
    installation folder is not configurable.

On x86-based versions of
    Windows, Windows PowerShell 1.0 is installed in the following folder:

%windir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\V1.0

Note: in this folder,
    %windir% represents the Windows system folder. Typically, this folder is
    C:\Windows.

By default, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows
    PowerShell are installed in the following locations on x64-based and
    Itanium-based versions of Windows:

The 64-bit version of Windows
    PowerShell is installed in the following folder:

%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\V1.0

The 32-bit version of
    Windows PowerShell is installed in the following folder:

%windir%\Syswow64\WindowsPowerShell\V1.0

Note: in these folders,
    %windir% represents the Windows system folder. Typically, this folder is
    C:\Windows.

3. Remove the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell

Reinstall .NET Framework 2.0

Note: if you receive an error like the
    following, then chances are .NET Framework 2.0 is busted:

An error in
    updating your system has occurred.
    Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have
    been made.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Any updates?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:05 AM
  • I missed the previous notification.

To confirm:

1. Run the install
    2. Verify its installed via Programs & Features but do NOT uninstall it
    3. Proceed with steps 2, 3 & 4.

Please confirm.

Will try the above this week and update ASAP.

• Edited by JuliusPIV Monday, May 12, 2014 2:34 PM
    Monday, May 12, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Yes, that's the steps we need to do.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Update for you

1. the update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928439 is installed
    2. I deleted c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell and c:\windows\Syswow64\WindowsPowerShell\V1.0.  It should be noted that one has to take ownership and grant themselves full control over the directory (& subdirectories & files of course)
    3. I cannot delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\PowerShell.  I tried taking ownership over the keys, granting myself full rights but I get the following error when setting permissions: "Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys."   I can't delete any subkeys or values either, not even in safemode.
    4. Vista ships with .NET 2.0/3.0 baked in, so I assume when you say 'reinstall' you mean turn off the windows feature, reboot, then re-enable the feature.  Under Windows Features, .NET 3.0 is listed and when expand it, only the XPS Viewer is checked.

• Edited by JuliusPIV Friday, June 6, 2014 4:31 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:34 AM
  • I think blowing away the System32 & Syswow64 directories did the trick because its no longer complaining about PowerShell, but rather saying:

• "Upgrade has been disabled - The upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version  you are currently running."

Which means removing SP2 & SP1 then trying the process again, but even though I'm following the instructions here, pkgmgr.exe doesn't start, or it starts but immediately quits.

I think we can close this thread.  Thank you very much for your assistance!

Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:52 AM