none
XP mode programs not seeing W7 drive RRS feed

• Question

• To pick up where I left off six years ago .........

Programs were working fine back then but ... I have installed XP mode on a Dell laptop running W7. It took some work and advice from the community to get 'Virtual Machines' to appear but that is sorted. Then I installed Pagemaker 6.5 which works fine.

The I installed my oldest and dearest friend Photostyler 2.0 which works but does not see the hard drive! 'Open' brings up the dialogue box like so ... [which you won't let me include until you verify my account ....... see comment below, Microsoft!!!]

Only the "original" drives appear. A obviously doesn't exist and it is trying to read D as disc drive. So what am I missing?

PS If anybody in charge of these forums is watching I had to log in using an out-of-date email address and I can't see any way of changing it. So maybe somebody can sort that out for me as well. Have a nice day!

Friday, February 8, 2019 12:26 PM

All replies

• Follow up.

I can install Photostyler and it runs .... sort of.

It won't let me install it in C:\Program Files\XXX only in C:\XXX. If I try to uninstall it in order to clean out everything and start again it doesn't appear in the list of installed programs. When I try any sort of workaround  it either tells me that the file xxx.jpg or xxx.tif (I've tried both) is not a valid 32-bit application OR it hangs and then tells me "You chose to end the nonresponsive program, Run a DLL as an App". (which I suspect is the core of the problem)

Or just occasionally it opens the file! But it has to be done by Start>My Computer>D on Admin PC>right click on file>Open with>PS2.

And while I've been typing this it has opened the last file which caused the program to freeze!

Monday, February 11, 2019 4:47 PM
  • Inside of XPMode your C: drive is not the same C: drive as on your Dell.  If you're trying to access files that are on your host you'll need to set up a shared drive in XPMode to access your Dell's C: drive.
    Monday, February 11, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Thanks.

Understood, but if XPMode is automatically creating a shared drive for Pagemaker why is it not doing so for Photostyler? Especialy since the whole thing was working perfectly on my last machine (a self-build that has gone through three new motherboards, two new hard drives, etc., etc.).

I haven't done anything different this time from the last time I installed PM and PS. The only difference between them is that PM is installed direct from a commercial CD and PS from the Download folder on the Admin-PC (W7) C Drive. PM shows in the XPMode Control Panel Add or Remove Programs window; PS doesn't.

Friday, February 15, 2019 10:55 AM