Many USB's Not Recognized in Vista laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hey what's up guys I've been having this USB problem for more than a month now and my sis just got an iPod for her b-day and I feel like it's my job to fix the comp so that she can use her new iPod. I've tried redirecting my USB to look for drivers in the inf folder, which was one of the suggestions I saw in this forum.

I have a external SeaGate that I use at school and it works fine in the XP's over there, but when I'm home it doesn't work. My printers that used to work, don't anymore. Anything that hooks up through USB doesn't work at all in my Toshiba. I also have to mention that at this moment there is an "Unknown Device" installed in my Device Manager that NEVER leaves. NOTHING is CONNECTED and it stills says "Unknown Device". When I uninstall it and restart my laptop it automatically re-installs the "Unknown Device".

Another problem that I have with Vista is that I cannot install SP1, which I heard was a good thing since I heard people's pc's were bugging out after they installed it successfully.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

First please temporarily remove and reinstall iTunes from the computer through Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your iPod device.

Meanwhile, please involve iPod Manufacturer for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:34 AM
  • I have a HP dv5-1010us with Vista home premium 64-bit. Last night my laptop began to freeze while I transferred files between 2 external USB hard drives. I tried to reboot and unplug both usb drives (couldn't go to the safe removal) and then the next thing I know after rebooting is:

1. Every time I plug in the Maxtor onetouch II 300gb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. But it's only recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", recognized as Maxtor under "disk drives", BUT cannot be seen in My Computer. In the disk management, it's shown as "uninitiliazed" and "unallocated". There's no way I can assign the letter path even though I can manually initialize it every time I open disk management. No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

Every time I plug in the Western Digital my Book Office edition WD10000H1B 1tb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. HOWEVER, it's NOT recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", is recognized as WD under "disk drives" BUT automatically says DISABLED and I cannot enable, and of course cannot be seen in My Computer. It's NOT even shown in the disk management. No matter how No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

3. So I tried a trouble shooting provided online:
    1.       In the run command (Start menu bar) type "regedit" to bring up the Registry Editor.
    2.       In Registry Editor, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    3.       In the details pane, double-click DevicePath.
    4.       Add a semi-colon to end of the existing text, and then add the path to %SystemRoot%\System32. The result should be similar to: %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemRoot%\System32
    Do not remove the %SystemRoot%\inf file path from the DevicePath registry entry.
    5.       Click OK to save the new value, and then close Registry Editor.
    6.       Delete “INFCACH.1” FROM C:\Windows and C:\Windows\Inf Directories (if it exists)
    7.       Ensure that there is a copy of the usbstor.inf file in C:\Windows\Inf
    If there isn’t – follow the below steps:
    a)      From another Vista system (copy it out of another Vista system and copy it directly into the C:\Windows\inf directory
    OR
    b)      From the problem machine, run Command Prompt ( as administrator). From C:\ do a dir usbstor.inf /s  . Wherever the file is found, go to that directory and copy all the files located in that directory to C:\Windows\inf directory
    8.       Open device manager, uninstall all unknown devices (right click, uninstall) so they all disappear from the list

That DID NOT work! First of all
    INFCACH.1 is only found in C:\Windows\Inf. Second I even copied all the files under the newest directory where the usbstor.inf is. The extactly same problems for both drives (see above) still occur.

4. Then I tried the steps to modify registry in 
    {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}. In  {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, LowerlogoVersion, and NoInstallClass. In {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, and NoInstallClass.

In that case, I CANNOT modify the registry by deleting the filter values.

I've done everything to troubleshoot but with no luck yet. My other USB drives and flash sticks still work and install just right when I plug them in the same USB ports.

Please help! I've tried trouble shooting all night long but no luck yet. These 2 drives have very important data that I just cannot format the drives. Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First please temporarily remove and reinstall iTunes from the computer through Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your iPod device.

Meanwhile, please involve iPod Manufacturer for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:34 AM
  • I have a HP dv5-1010us with Vista home premium 64-bit. Last night my laptop began to freeze while I transferred files between 2 external USB hard drives. I tried to reboot and unplug both usb drives (couldn't go to the safe removal) and then the next thing I know after rebooting is:

1. Every time I plug in the Maxtor onetouch II 300gb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. But it's only recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", recognized as Maxtor under "disk drives", BUT cannot be seen in My Computer. In the disk management, it's shown as "uninitiliazed" and "unallocated". There's no way I can assign the letter path even though I can manually initialize it every time I open disk management. No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

Every time I plug in the Western Digital my Book Office edition WD10000H1B 1tb drive, windows automatically installs the driver and says ready to use. HOWEVER, it's NOT recognized as "usb mass storage" in device manager under "USB", is recognized as WD under "disk drives" BUT automatically says DISABLED and I cannot enable, and of course cannot be seen in My Computer. It's NOT even shown in the disk management. No matter how No matter how many times I uninstall this device the same thing happens after I reboot and replug.

3. So I tried a trouble shooting provided online:
    1.       In the run command (Start menu bar) type "regedit" to bring up the Registry Editor.
    2.       In Registry Editor, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    3.       In the details pane, double-click DevicePath.
    4.       Add a semi-colon to end of the existing text, and then add the path to %SystemRoot%\System32. The result should be similar to: %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemRoot%\System32
    Do not remove the %SystemRoot%\inf file path from the DevicePath registry entry.
    5.       Click OK to save the new value, and then close Registry Editor.
    6.       Delete “INFCACH.1” FROM C:\Windows and C:\Windows\Inf Directories (if it exists)
    7.       Ensure that there is a copy of the usbstor.inf file in C:\Windows\Inf
    If there isn’t – follow the below steps:
    a)      From another Vista system (copy it out of another Vista system and copy it directly into the C:\Windows\inf directory
    OR
    b)      From the problem machine, run Command Prompt ( as administrator). From C:\ do a dir usbstor.inf /s  . Wherever the file is found, go to that directory and copy all the files located in that directory to C:\Windows\inf directory
    8.       Open device manager, uninstall all unknown devices (right click, uninstall) so they all disappear from the list

That DID NOT work! First of all
    INFCACH.1 is only found in C:\Windows\Inf. Second I even copied all the files under the newest directory where the usbstor.inf is. The extactly same problems for both drives (see above) still occur.

4. Then I tried the steps to modify registry in 
    {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}. In  {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, LowerlogoVersion, and NoInstallClass. In {25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}, I only see Default, Class, ClassDesc, IconPath, and NoInstallClass.

In that case, I CANNOT modify the registry by deleting the filter values.

I've done everything to troubleshoot but with no luck yet. My other USB drives and flash sticks still work and install just right when I plug them in the same USB ports.

Please help! I've tried trouble shooting all night long but no luck yet. These 2 drives have very important data that I just cannot format the drives. Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:18 PM
  • To Andy Song:

I tried what you suggested and my USB ports still don't work. I don't think you understood what my problem is. I have an "Unknown Device" installed in my device manager right went I turn on my computer. NOTHING is connected and I haven't connected any USB device yet. The "Unknown Device" is just there. And whenever I UNINSTALL the "Unknown Device" and restart my laptop, it automatically REINSTALLS the "Unknown Device".

Now when I plug in ANY usb device, like my SeaGate, it installs another "Unknown Device", this time I have 2 "Unknown Devices" installed in my device manager.

When I did what you suggested, I first uninstalled the Unknown Device before connecting the new iPod. Then I plugged the new iPod and hit "Scan For Hardware Changes". After that, it installed 2 "Unknown Devices".

So maybe the problem is the first "Unknown Device" that always installs by itself. I'm not sure how it got there in the first place so maybe that's the problem. And maybe because I haven't installed SP1 yet because of an error. Any other suggestions from anyone? Thanks guys.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:53 AM
  • K0MIK, the full set of problems that you've listed (USB problems, and SP1 is not offered in Windows Update) all point to buggy system drivers.
    Have you checked your system manufacturer's support site for driver (and, possibly, BIOS) updates for the computer?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:18 AM
  • cuppie:
    I know that my BIOS is up-to-date, but I'm not sure how and where to find updates for my drivers.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Generally, on your manufacturer's website, under support.  Wink

Got a make & model?  (if Dell, then the service tag# on the machine.)
    I'll give you a quick steer to the downloads.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Toshiba Satellite A135-S2356
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Apparently, Toshiba sucks eggs at posting driver updates:
    downloads page
    Everything is from 12/2006 thru 9/2007.  Sad
    Try running Windows Update, and taking a peek at any 'optional' updates?  you might find something there...

Question:  How old is this particular laptop?

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:52 AM
  • I'd say it's about a year and a half old. Any other suggestions for me?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:07 AM
  • format the computer and rebuild the system. if the problem continues, contact your manufacturer to solve the problem!

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:42 AM
  • I heard resetting my CMOS will solve the problem, but I don't know how to do it. Or is it a bad idea?
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:59 PM
  • It might solve it.  It won't hurt anything.
    For a laptop:
    Shut down.  Remove AC power, remove battery.  Disconnect CMOS battery - it's typically located behind one of the service covers on the bottom of the unit (look for a coin-cell battery, often with a short length of wire attached to it.)  Remove the battery (if it's simply socketed), or unplug it (if it has wires attached.)
    Hold power putton ~10 seconds.
    Reinstall CMOS battery.  Reconnect AC power.
    Start machine.  Go in to BIOS, set date & time.

One very good possibility that wasn't covered here is that the drivers for the USB controller are corrupted.
    To fix:  d/l the USB drivers from Toshiba (linked earlier), save to desktop.
    Uninstall the 'unknown device', as well as the USB controller(s), from device manager.  When it asks if you want to delete the drivers as well, check the box (you do want to do that.)
    Reboot.  When the system comes up, and the 'found new hardware' wizard starts (watch your system tray!),
    Click it, and select 'cancel.'
    Once it's done (it'll gripe that the device(s) couldn't be installed, and might not work), launch the installer that you previously downloaded.
    Reboot when prompted.

HTH,

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Cuppie, could you point me to the specific download for my driver because there are some that just update the Wi-fi connection. I just want to make sure I'm doing what you say correctly. Here's a lazy link:
    TOSHIBA

Thanks...
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:45 PM
  • You're not dumb - they really don't list anything doing with the motherboard (chipset, USB, etc) there.
    Some Googling suggests that the drivers *might* be part of the Toshiba Value Added Package, though.
    My suggestion:  download that, and just extract it (either extract it with WinZip or 7-Zip, or let the self-extractor do its thing, and cancel the installer(s).) Poke around in the extracted files, and see if you see any files that have USB in its name.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Cuppie: Yeah I don't think there are any USB driver downloads in the zip file. But one thing I saw in my Device Manager was that when I uninstalled the "Unknown Device"(UD) and then hit "Scan For New Hardwares Changes", then when it reinstalls the "UD", my Device Manager refreshes, then you can briefly see a new list of "Other Devices" and there is the "UD" with a yellow exclamation mark, then my Device Manager refreshes again and then the "UD" ends up on my USB controller list, without the yellow ! mark.

I downloaded the famous "Driver Detective" while looking for more solutions, and when I scanned my computer, it showed a "Unplugged Unknown Device" that had updated drivers. And of course I couldn't do anything further without paying so I just uninstalled the program.

I checked online on how to get to my CMOS battery, but it looks like I have to get to my mainboard, which means taking out my keyboard and many other things (TUTORIAL). So I don't think I'll do that, unless it's the last resort.

Everyday my personal connection with Microsoft wanes *sigh*. By the way, my name is Chris as well. It's such a rare name LOL.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:59 AM
  • Sorry to commandeer your thread, but this is the EXACT same problem I'm having with a Toshiba A135-S2386, but with an iPod.  Any iPod I try to hook up to this computer gives me the same error message, however, the same iPods work fine on other computers.  AND, flash drives are recognized without a problem on the Toshiba.  I have reinstalled the OS, and as a result, have reinstalled iTunes - no dice.  I have a devastated daughter who I'm desperately trying to help, but again, no luck.  I just got off the phone with Toshiba, and their suggestions were pretty sad: Install the "new" dvd drivers (huh?!?) and bios (already done).  If those don't work, he suggested I take it into a Radio Shack (lol) for possible hardware problem. 

So is it possible that this is a hardware problem?  Not enough power to the usb ports, so there's enough for a flash drive, but not enough for an iPod (since it's charged via USB)?  I'm going to try some of the items in this thread, but I'd sure appreciate any continued suggestions - I'm at my wits' end!  Sad

Thanks!
    Steve
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:17 PM
  • This is turning to a confession session in an AA meeting LOL. I feel your pain, sfbay!
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:34 PM
  • This is what I finally did for my failed, unrecognized hard drives (USB):

1. I did a system restore using a system restore point from a few days before the hard drive failure. One drive began to function normally after this.

2. For the other one that no system restore or changing vista registry could help, I decided that the master booting record or the partition file got damaged. I had to use GetDataBack to retrieve all the data in it, save the data in another drive, and then use Partition Magic to create a new partition in that drive. 
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:47 PM
  •  liverworts wrote:
    This is what I finally did for my failed, unrecognized hard drives (USB):

1. I did a system restore using a system restore point from a few days before the hard drive failure. One drive began to function normally after this.

2. For the other one that no system restore or changing vista registry could help, I decided that the master booting record or the partition file got damaged. I had to use GetDataBack to retrieve all the data in it, save the data in another drive, and then use Partition Magic to create a new partition in that drive. 

Umm if you can go more in detail that would great. Bumping this up...
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:32 AM
  • I have a Toshiba S2326 and have the exact same problem! Please help!!!
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:00 AM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:07 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:08 PM