none
virtual xp cant detect graphics card

Question

• I installed a virtual windows xp  on my windows 7 professional, so its like having windows xp without shutting down windows 7, (and you can minimize xp) anyways i installed it so i can play one game that you cannot play on windows 7, and compatibility mode DOES NOT work with it, so i have this virtual pc, i installed the game, everything works fine, but its doesn't see my graphics card, it actually doesn't see anything, if i type in dxdiag and go to display, it is blank. How do i make it recognize my graphics card in a PCI express slot? i have the radeon 6770. So far i have tried to see if its under  display adapters, its not. i cant install drivers because it does not even see my card. WHY DOESNT IT SEE MY CARD? (and also ive tried search for new devices, and got nothing)
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:02 AM

All replies

• It won't ever see your graphics card.  XP Mode virtualizes the host's memory and cpu.  The rest of the virtual machine's hardware is emulated.  The graphics card is an emulated S3Trio 32/64.  You cannot change that.  You can review what emulations are used by opening the XP Mode Device Manager.  Right click on My Computer and choose Manage.  XP Mode does not detect the host's PCI bus or video slots.

The reason Microsoft does this is explained in Ben Armstrong's blog from 2005.  The emulations have changed a bit but the reasons have not.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/01/26/361361.aspx

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:37 AM
  • that makes sense, sorry for the way i put the problem. Anyways if it cant see the host's hardware. then is there a way to make compatibility mode work on windows 7 to make a windows xp game work? if i make program run compatibility windows xp it still doesn't work even tho i have this virtual xp installed, so can i do something to make it run?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:06 AM
  •  Why would installing a vm make any difference to the way the host worked?

Do you have any idea about how vms work?

Bill
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:29 AM
  • You don't use compatibility mode on Windows 7 to run the game.  You install the game in XP in the XP Mode vm.  The game then runs under XP and not Windows 7.  If the game is published to Windows 7 you can start the game from the Windows 7 Start menu.  That starts the XP vm and the game runs that way.  Remember, the XP Mode virtual machine is a seperate computer and you must install and run software in it as though it were a seperate box.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:14 AM
  • the game is installed with the vm, and when i click launch it just shuts down and restarts and has errors. When i go to settings it says no video mode supported. So its my guess because there's no graphics card i cant play the game? so how do  i get it to recognize it or something to paly this game. its directx8
    • Edited by turbow5 Friday, November 18, 2011 9:53 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:51 PM
  • What game?  What are the specs? The more info you give, the easier it is to help.

If your game requires 3D hardware acceleration, its never going to work in Windows VPC.

There is a possibility it might work with VirtualBox or VMWare Player, both have experimental accelerated virtual graphics cards.

Virtualbox: Hardware 3D acceleration (OpenGL and Direct3D 8/9)

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#guestadd-3d

VMWare Player: 3D Graphics Improvements for Windows XP guests — OpenGL 2.1 and Shader Model 3.0 support is now available for Windows XP virtual machines. The XPDM (SVGAII) graphics driver works with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. However, only Windows XP virtual machines install the XPDM graphics driver by default. To switch graphics drivers in the guest operating system, see How to Switch Between SVGAII and WDDM Drivers.

http://www.vmware.com/support/player30/doc/releasenotes_player3.html

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:13 PM
  • If the game requires 3d grapics you will never get it to work in XP Mode.  There may not be a solution.  Like Steve says, what is the game and what are the minimum system requirements?
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:59 AM
  • yeah i should have

gave you the specs sooner, anyways i have AMD 6 core at 3 ghz, 8 gigs of ram windows 7 professional directx11 if you need more I'l give you more of the specs, the game is called obscure (first one) the minimum requirements are OS: Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP
        CPU: 1.0Ghz Pentium III Processor or Equivalent
        RAM: 256 MB
        CD-ROM/DVD-ROM: 8X Speed
        Hard Drive Space: 4 GB Available
        Video: 32 MB  DirectX 8.1b Video Card with Hardware
                   Transform and Lighting Support (NVIDIA GeForce2 or better)
        Sound: DirectX 8.1b Compatible Sound Card or Better
        Input: Keyboard and mouse
        Other: DirectX 8.1b or Higher   (copy n' paste)

recommended are OS: Windows® XP
        CPU: 2.0GHz Pentium 4 Processor or Equivalent
        RAM: 384 MB
        CD-ROM/DVD-ROM: 24X speed
        Hard Drive Space: 4 GB available
        Video: 128 MB DirectX 9 Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce or ATI Radeon)
        Sound: DirectX 8.1b Compatible Sound Card or Better
        Input: Keyboard and Mouse
        Other: DirectX 9 or Higher
    and would vmware help much?

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:21 AM
  • It won't work with VPC per the video card specs.

It may work in a VMware or VirtualBox VM.  I've had mixed success with both on different games.  Some tend to work better in one versus the other.  The good news is that both VirtualBox and VMware player are free.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:38 AM
  • what do these two programs do exactly?
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:58 AM
  • They are virtualization solutions like Windows Virtual PC.  You can check the Oracle VirtualBox and VMWare forums for other users of your game, if any.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:06 AM
  • i downloaded the virtual box and started another VM and i start it and i need a windows xp ISO image on a disk, im new to this virtual stuff. anyways what does it mean a ISO image file? i still have xp from the first VM i created if i can use that in some way?
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:26 AM
  • If you have an XP cd you can install it in VirtualBox.  You must also delete the first vm you created because you can't install with the same product key in more than one computer at a time.  Don't activate until you have tested the game.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:37 AM
  • You can reuse your existing VM for either VirtualBox or VMWare, you can get details directly from them respectively.

In fact, I think the latest version of VirtualBox can just use VHDs directly.

• Edited by essjae Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:01 PM spelling-update
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:40 PM
  • well i don't have a cd with xp on it, so your saying just burn the xp i have now onto a disk and install it that way?
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Only if you have an .iso file.  But just follow Steve's advice and import your vm into VMWare Player or VirtualBox.  You need to look on their websites and forums for intructions.  This is not a general virtualizaion forum but rather an XP Mode/WVPC forum.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Burning your VM won't help you.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:02 PM
  • i didn't think it would, i deleted the VM  trying to get virtual box going and now you said import it, well its saying its already installed when i try to re-install windows xp virtual. So what do i do? literally i got stuck here, wont let me re-install but its not installed...
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Are you sure you uninstalled XP Mode?  The base file is located here: C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:53 AM