none
On screen keyboard unknown key RRS feed

• Question

• Since upgrading to windows 8.1, the on screen keyboard has a new key that I don't recognize. The key only shows up when typing in a password textbox and appears between the Ctrl and space keys (right where the emoticon key is when you are typing in a normal textbox). It looks like a solid square with lines coming out from it (like rays from the sun). When you press it, the lines go away and the key turns blue to indicate that it has been toggled. I can determine no discernible effect. Does anyone know what this key is?
    Monday, November 4, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

• I hate answering my own question, but I think I just figured it out. When you press a key on the OSK (on-screen keyboard), the key "backlights" a blue color to indicate that you have pressed it. This square looking key seems to turn that off. I guess the theory is that, if you are typing a password, you may not want the keyboard to light up when you press a key, making it more obvious what your password is to someone who may be watching.
    • Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsuModerator Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by limelight Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test, On-Screen Keyboard just displays a visual keyboard with all the standard keys.

To make it clear, please capture a screenshot for further research. 

Then, please upload the screenshot.

Note: I highly recommend you use SkyDrive to upload collected files and to post screen shots/pictures. Although you might not be used to it, SkyDrive features a lot of free advanced functionality around file storage capacity, sharing, privacy, and collaboration:

http://skydrive.com

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:34 AM
  • The button in question is between the Ctrl key and space bar. I have the same question. Thanks!

Please let me know if the following link to a picture doesn't work.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d3cb4b489508a39f&id=D3CB4B489508A39F%211795&action=Share

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:55 PM
  • I hate answering my own question, but I think I just figured it out. When you press a key on the OSK (on-screen keyboard), the key "backlights" a blue color to indicate that you have pressed it. This square looking key seems to turn that off. I guess the theory is that, if you are typing a password, you may not want the keyboard to light up when you press a key, making it more obvious what your password is to someone who may be watching.
    • Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsuModerator Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by limelight Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I've been wondering and Googling, trying to figure it out.  Seems like MS could have mentioned it somewhere since they went to all the trouble to have it :)

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:19 PM
  • Just an FYI - the mode enabled by this key is in effect across the keyboards, so if you enable this key then swap to the standard keyboard layout - it will continue to NOT light up the keys as they are pressed.  Good for security, and good to know if you are using one of the other keyboards and can't figure out why there's no visual response to touching the keyboard.

-Pez

Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:28 AM