none
rundll32.exe Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of days ago two of the users in the office tried to print to the office network printer and got an error. On one workstation I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer. During the scan, I clicked on the option "The printer that I want isn’t listed" and got the error, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\printui.exe / Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I was doing this as the an administrator.

On the other workstation I tried printing a test page and go the error, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe, ..." with the same "cannot access" message.

I've tried various things I've found on the Internet, including trying several of the "tweaks" described here, https://www.xtremerain.com/cannot-access-device-path-file. Specifically, solution 2: Enabling - Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account; solution 3: Check the File or Folder Permission; and solution 6: Repair corrupt file system (scf /scannow; Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image ...). None of that worked and the user still cannot print. All users in the office, other than these two, can still print to the network printer without problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

• Edited by jmarkfoley Friday, June 12, 2020 6:25 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2020 6:25 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue on the latest update KB4560960.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4560960/windows-10-update-kb4560960

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update, but now we need to pause the update or stop Windows Update service to prevent this KB from installing. Ensure normal operation of daily work is most important.

Thank you for understanding.

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, June 15, 2020 2:14 AM
  • My apologies, I thought I had posted the final resolution to this problem, but apparently not.Each time I uninstalled KB4560960 it was automatically reinstalled. Windows 10 lacks the ability Windows 7 had to exclude a specific update. But I found a way:

I downloaded the tool wushowhide.diagcab. I first had to remove the existing KB4560960 update, then I had to wait for it to re-download (which I could do by 'Check for Updates'). Then I ran wushowhide.diagcab after the download, but before it applied the update! This apparently worked.

Even though EickS said that KB4567512 resolved the issue, our office was without access to the office printer for a week! Not sure what the logic was behind Microsoft removing the ability to block specified updates in Windows 10.

Thanks all for your input.

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:07 PM

All replies

• More info. I tried restoring one of the computers to the last restore point which was before a Microsoft update done at 5:00AM on Wednesday (thus confirming the problem resulted from an Update). The restore-point failed and the subsequent Automatic Repair attempt also failed corrupting the drive and making the computer unbootable. Fortunately, we rely on Acronis for Windows backups and I was able to restore these two workstations to Tuesday (before the update), and both were back in action and able to print the the Ricoh network printer.

Meanwhile, by Saturday, 4 more Windows 10 workstations were unable to print to the network printer, sometimes giving the error, or similar, shown at top and sometimes simply terminating the program trying to print (Word, Notepad, FoxitPDF, ...). My assumption is that these 4 computers got this same bad update. There are other computers in the office that can still print. Questions:

Is Microsoft aware of this problem and planning on sending out a fix?

My Windows 10 Update History shows 8 updates dated 6/10/2020. Is this problem related to one of those and, if so, which one and can I uninstall and block it? If that's the solution I'd like to try that to fix the currently fooped workstations and prevent the other from getting fooped.

One concern I have is that restoring to a day prior to the updates wont last and Windows will eventually re-apply the update, thus re-fooping.

Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:49 PM
  • there are known printer problems with  KB4557957 for 2004,  KB4560960 for 1903,1909.

After installing this update, certain printers might fail to print. The print spooler might throw an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer.

You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from. You might receive an error from the app or the app might close unexpectedly.

Note This issue might also affect software-based printers, for example printing to PDF.
    Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update when more information is available.
    Sunday, June 14, 2020 6:18 PM
  • This is a known issue on the latest update KB4560960.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4560960/windows-10-update-kb4560960

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update, but now we need to pause the update or stop Windows Update service to prevent this KB from installing. Ensure normal operation of daily work is most important.

Thank you for understanding.

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Monday, June 15, 2020 2:14 AM
  • Teemo Tang: Thanks! That was exactly the problem. I've uninstalled KB4560960 on all workstations and the printer is back in action.

One more question: Now that I've uninstalled this update, will Windows try to re-install it or does the act of manually uninstalling prevent future update attempts on this update?

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:52 PM
  • If you pause update or delay update from GPO, Microsoft will not try to re-install this update.

And, this behavior will not influence the follow-up updates, the limitation of Pause update is 7 days, delay update GPO can be canceled easily.

Regards

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 1:16 AM
  • Teemo Tang - well, KB4560960 was re-installed on two of the workstations last evening! I will check the GPO to see about pausing updates. I can also do this on an individual workstations basis: Windows Update Settings > Advanced options > Pause Updates.

Your message of June 15th indicates this is a known problem with Microsoft. You would think they would stop sending this update until fixed!

Speaking of which, is there a published timeframe for when it will be fixed? Pausing for 7 days just kicks the can down the road if it's not fixed by then. Will Microsoft somehow notify or announce the fix when available or do we just have to keep testing and losing our printers every 7 days until fixed?

Windows 7 had a way to "hide" unwanted updates. Apparently that feature is not included with Windows 10. I've downloaded a tool: wushowhide.diagcab, which supposedly implements this feature. I'll post back with results.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:51 PM
  • " Will Microsoft somehow notify or announce the fix when available"
    from the page I linked:
    This issue is resolved in KB4567512.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:54 PM
  • I suggest you to perform DISM Commands to fix Windows system file corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Type the following commands in command prompt one by one and press Enter after each command.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 10:52 AM
  • My apologies, I thought I had posted the final resolution to this problem, but apparently not.Each time I uninstalled KB4560960 it was automatically reinstalled. Windows 10 lacks the ability Windows 7 had to exclude a specific update. But I found a way:

I downloaded the tool wushowhide.diagcab. I first had to remove the existing KB4560960 update, then I had to wait for it to re-download (which I could do by 'Check for Updates'). Then I ran wushowhide.diagcab after the download, but before it applied the update! This apparently worked.

Even though EickS said that KB4567512 resolved the issue, our office was without access to the office printer for a week! Not sure what the logic was behind Microsoft removing the ability to block specified updates in Windows 10.

Thanks all for your input.

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:07 PM