none
Connect to Domain through VPN using sonicWALL firewall and windows 7 on laptop after logging in

Question

• I work for a small company that has set up multiple desktops in a local domain. I have been assigned the task to try to get a laptop able to VPN from a remote location into the network and log into the local domain. The laptop is running Windows 7 Professional. The sonicWALL firewall we are using at the corporation has options that allow connecting to the domain once the VPN is established. However after spending hours on the phone with the firewall people's tech support I believe the issue is that the software was written for an earlier version of Windows (Windows XP). Since some options have been moved around in Windows 7 we cannot find where to configure the laptop to do what we want. The functionality we need seems to be outlined in this .pdf of tech notes:

http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/VPN_Safenet_Configuring_Windows_Networking.pdf

In this PDF it tells us to "Select Client for Microsoft Networks and click Properties" However in Windows 7 Client for Microsoft Networks has it's properties button greyed out. So I would like to know where to go to change these properties in Windows 7.

Thanks in Advance,

tech-bot

Monday, August 16, 2010 5:37 PM

Answers

• I'd say that's quite old - Windows NT and 98?

Anyway, I assume all you want to do is verify the user's credentials against the user's domain account?  To do this just specify the domain as part of the username in the VPN connection dialog; ie: your_domain\username or even username@your_domain.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, August 23, 2010 3:36 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest contacting the manufacturer to check if this SonicWALL firewall is compatible with Windows 7. If not, please get a latest version to test this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:06 AM

All replies

• I'd say that's quite old - Windows NT and 98?

Anyway, I assume all you want to do is verify the user's credentials against the user's domain account?  To do this just specify the domain as part of the username in the VPN connection dialog; ie: your_domain\username or even username@your_domain.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:05 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thank you Bob! I have tried what you asked and it isn't working. I think you are right about it being Windows NT or 98 that this was originally set up to work with.

The VPN software we are using to connect is "SonicWALL Global VPN Client".  In the Client's log it keeps mentioning a "logon script". If I knew where the properties of "Client for Microsoft Networks" or this "logon script" where then that would be very helpful. I am unfamiliar to where these options have been moved to in Windows 7.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest contacting the manufacturer to check if this SonicWALL firewall is compatible with Windows 7. If not, please get a latest version to test this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:06 AM