none
Lost administrator password on old system RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old, dual-core computer that apparently only has an networked administrator account, called SERVER68\itxadmin, for which I do not have a password.  (A local non-profit gave the computer to see if I could do something with it.)  I have tried several ways described on the internet to reset the password, but have not been successful.

• At the Windows 7 user login, if I attempt to logon to SERVER68\itxadmin, it says I have the wrong password.  If I try any other user, it says that there are no logon services to service the logon request.
    • With a Hiren's boot disk, I can see, clear the password, and enable the ADMIN user, but none of that seems to affect the logon results.
    • I tried the command line "net user SERVER68/itxadmin *", the shell says that I have a syntax error.  If I try anything else for the username, it says that it can't find that user.  If I add a user with "net user /ADD", I get the same results at the windows logon as with any other user--no logon services available.

So....it seems like I need to configure the computer/edit the registry, so that it knows it does not need to go to a server to get authentication.  Or to put it another way, how do I get it to allow local users to authenticate and logon?  I am not really sure if I am asking the right questions.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

John

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi jgm23333,

Usually you get that message when trying to log in with a domain account but there are no domain controllers present to authenticate your credentials (and nothing cached locally).

If you aren't on a domain you need to log in as a local user. Put your username as .\username

For example if my account was called User1 I would log in as .\User1

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hello.

This is strange: first time I heard that Hiren's fails on reset password. What happen if you specify a psw insted of clear password?

Please review also official recover password guide here

Please, let us know.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for responding so quickly.   I used the recover password guide that you pointed me to, and I tried clearing the password and then setting it to something I know.  Neither worked.  The itxadmin password does not show up in the Hiren's utility, and any user other than "SERVER68/itxadmin" at the login prompt gives me the no logon services message.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi jgm23333,

Usually you get that message when trying to log in with a domain account but there are no domain controllers present to authenticate your credentials (and nothing cached locally).

If you aren't on a domain you need to log in as a local user. Put your username as .\username

For example if my account was called User1 I would log in as .\User1

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:39 AM