none
USB Ports in devicemanager auto enable

Question

• Hi Team,

we have windows 7 for all the workstations in our office.  our problem is .. Some of the workstation of the USB port automatically enabled. that is all the usb ports are enabled for some workstation. Even though after  i enabled all the USB ports manually.

Its looks some thing different. Kindly help me with this issue.

Monday, January 09, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• How to disable/enable USB Port in Windows 7 ?
    Feb.16, 2011 in Web Hacking
    Step1: In Windows 7  press Windows key+R and type as “regedit

Step 2: It will open the Registry Editor of  your Windows 7

Step 3: After opening Registry edit browse the following path in reght side bar of registry editor

The Path to go: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR”

Step4: Then right click the registry “Start” which is rectangled in red color in the below screenshot of registry editor

Step:5 Right Click “Start” and Click modify

•To enable USB ports: change the value from “4″ to “3″
    •To disable USB ports: change the Value for “3″ to “4″

finaly restart your system.
    • Proposed as answer by nuenggodja Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:57 PM
    Monday, January 09, 2012 11:25 AM
  • hi mark,

is there any different between disabling the way which u sent and manual disable of usb ?

please tell me why it is happening.. i dont know how many workstation will get this problem later..

• Edited by rkrk123 Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:44 AM
    Monday, January 09, 2012 11:36 AM
  • it would be helpful for me, if i get a solution for this. since i have 500 workstation in my office. its really a tough job to manually do this steps for the problem workstation. more over we have to symantec antivirus software as well. whcih will block the usb.

but i would like to knowthe reason why it is happend....

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:40 AM
  • any one please give me your sugession
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

If you want change the registry key of these workstations, you could create a batch file and push it via GPO. Here is the command:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR" /t Reg_dword /v Start /f /d 4

Meanwhile, you could audit this registry key on several clients to determine whether some application changed it.
    1.       Open Registry Editor
    2.       Click the key you want to audit.
    3.       On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
    4.       Click Advanced, and then click the Auditing tab.
    5.       Double-click the name of a group or user.
    6.       Under Access, select or clear the Successful and Failed check boxes for the activities that you want to audit or to stop auditing

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:46 PM
  • hi william,

thanks for the reply.

Please tell me why it is happening.. since i have to report this to my TL

• Edited by rkrk123 Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:19 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hi rkrk123,

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this problem on my side. You could follow my suggestion to audit the registry, then you could find some clues. Or you could try to perform a Clean Boot to determine whether this problem is caused by third party software.

William Tan

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:52 AM
  • hi William,

i tested for a workstation for disabling usb drive  using regedit “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR” .  i have modified the 'start' object from 3 to 4. after that i restarted teh system.

After did the above said thing.. still the usb is enabled in this workstation.

• Edited by rkrk123 Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:40 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:40 AM
  • am i doing any thing wrong.. please help
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:47 AM
  • How to disable/enable USB Port in Windows 7 ?
    Feb.16, 2011 in Web Hacking
    Step1: In Windows 7  press Windows key+R and type as “regedit

Step 2: It will open the Registry Editor of  your Windows 7

Step 3: After opening Registry edit browse the following path in reght side bar of registry editor

The Path to go: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR”

Step4: Then right click the registry “Start” which is rectangled in red color in the below screenshot of registry editor

Step:5 Right Click “Start” and Click modify

•To enable USB ports: change the value from “4″ to “3″
    •To disable USB ports: change the Value for “3″ to “4″

finaly restart your system.

hi ,

i tested for a workstation for disabling usb drive  using regedit “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR” .  i have modified the 'start' object from 3 to 4. after that i restarted teh system.

After did the above said thing.. still the usb is enabled in this workstation.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:06 AM
  • can any please guide me how to do this...

am i doing anything wrong apart from what i explained

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:49 AM
  • Hi rkrk123,

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this problem on my side. You could follow my suggestion to audit the registry, then you could find some clues. Or you could try to perform a Clean Boot to determine whether this problem is caused by third party software.

William Tan

hi William,

We have Symantec Antivirus for Blocking the usb.. this is installed in all the workstation. however we found only few workstation whose usb ports has been enabled automatically.

shall i consider this issue that, this issue is not having solution .?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi rkrk123,

I haven't much information about how SEP block the USB ports. But I could provide another way to block them, please refer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555324

William Tan

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hi Team,

if i provide the eventviewer details to you.. could u able to find out the solution. 

If so, please let me know which eventviewer logs you required to short out this problem?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Hi Team,

I have uninstalled SEP for few problem workstation. after that i restarted the system as well and disabled teh USB.

But still the usb is enabled after some other day's..

Seems there is an issue with windows 7. can anyone please forward this issue to higher officials to solve this issue. it would be helpful for me and also for others as well.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi Team,

if i provide the eventviewer details to you.. could u able to find out the solution. 

If so, please let me know which eventviewer logs you required to short out this problem?

• Edited by nuenggodja Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:32 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Ok.. i change the start value from 3 to 4.. i'm using USB mouse. does changing the value affects this? because once it gets disabled, i can't re-enable it without using the mouse.. plz reply... :)
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:21 PM
  • thanks we want to very helpful your suggestion

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Bangladesh
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:53 AM