none
Skype and Windows 7 x64

Question

• The Skype VOIP/Chat program has apparently been rendered unusable in Windows 7. I've seen posts in other locations stating that using the latest beta will fix this problem, but for me it has not.  Compatibility mode just makes the crashes more frequent, ironically. Does anyone know enough about the program to say why this is happening, or to provide a manual fix of some sort?

thanks for the help!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:09 AM

Answers

• I also am having issues with Skype 4 (no beta out now) and Windows 7 RC x64.  I have a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card and used the Vista x64 drivers in compat. mode and Sounds works from iTunes and other applications fine.  When I go to login to Skype The "Signing in" wheel spins and then the WHOLE PC Freezes and I have to hard reboot, neting nothing in the event logs.  I have tried forcing Vista and XP compatability modes on Skype to the same results. 

My Setup:

Asus P5B Deluxe
    Intel Duo 2 Core E6440
    6GB Corsair Ballistix DDR3
    Sapphire ATI 4870 1GB (for main 2 monitors)
    Sapphire X1600XT 256MB (for extra monitor, not my main monitors)
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm Sata 1.5
    Seagate 500GB x2 7200rpm sata II
    External Sata Western Digital MyBook 750GB
    HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
    Corsair 520watt PSU
    Logitech Quickcam 9000

Other then Skype my system has been fine with heavy loads (video editing, WoW, etc) and everything I throw at it.

I had the same problem with HT Omega Striker vs Skype in Windows 7 X64 build up. However, I do find a temp solution for it. Looks like there is a bug in Skype's sound effects codes (not the microphone/speakers). This is how you can deal with it:

1. Disconnect your internet so that skype wont sign in.
    2. Open windows device manager and disable (not uninstall, just disable it) the HT Omega Striker sound card
    3. Connect your internet
    4. Sign on your skype as usual.
    5. Now go to skype --> tools --> options
    6. Go to sound effects page (NOT the microphone/speaker page) and MUTE all soundeffects (such as "sign on", "sign off"), make sure you mute all of them.
    7. Enable your HT Omega Striker
    8. Now your skype should work. Microphone and speakers should work well in calls and rings. But you wont have the sound effects when sign-in or someone sending fill and such.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Are you sure you downloaded the Skype Beta? I believe it's Version 4.0 Beta. Simply googling it turns up results immediately. I know I used the regular Skype and it constantly crashed but the new Skype (Beta) has worked flawlessly so far. It also has some neat new features you may like.
    • Proposed as answer by iQuik Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Friday, January 16, 2009 6:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lord of Doors Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:43 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lord of Doors Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:44 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Skype Beta version 4.0.0.181 has been running without problems for me under Windows 7 x64.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:09 AM
  • The Beta version of Skype crashes for me whenever I am about to speak. I can do everything else just fine, be it transfer files or just texting. One thing I noticed is that it will also crash when messing around with the audio settings. My guess would be that it is the Vista 64 Realtek HD sound drivers that are not playing well on 7.
    • Proposed as answer by renemauricio Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Friday, January 16, 2009 6:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lord of Doors Monday, January 26, 2009 6:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lord of Doors Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:06 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:28 AM
  • I have to use Skype 4 beta because Skype 3 will crash shortly after displaying the contact list.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Skype under windows 7 x64 with the 4.0 beta still not working.  The drivers for both my internal (Realtek of some sort) and external sound card (creative soundblaster live 24bit) seem bugged as well (internal runs but not well, external refuses to install drivers), which may be related to the problem.  all attempts to do anything beyond open skype (I can at least do that) crash it.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:07 PM
  •  Skype Beta version 4 has been running without problems for me under Windows 7 x64.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Yes, me too...

Skype 3.8 crash after loading the contact list.

Skype 4.0 beta works very well here.

My motherboard is a intel, my audio is from sigmatel.

I think your problem maybe is the audio driver, not skype.

Have you tried talk in the live messenger for example?

[]'s

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:38 AM
  • windows live messenger and pidgin both function without a hitch.  and though the audio drivers may be a problem, that still doesn't explain why chat crashes skype as well.
    -7 is everything Vista should have been. Lets relish it.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Lord of Doors said:

windows live messenger and pidgin both function without a hitch.  and though the audio drivers may be a problem, that still doesn't explain why chat crashes skype as well.

I have installed this version of skype:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta - 4.0.61.181

So, you msn works, my teory about drivers now is broken :P

[]'s good luck

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Not completely. It does explain why no matter how many times i set up calls in WLM it detects my mic but refuses to use it. So it appears i may have multiple bugs combining to create a crash here.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Rafael Cossovan de França said:

Yes, me too...

Skype 3.8 crash after loading the contact list.

Skype 4.0 beta works very well here.

My motherboard is a intel, my audio is from sigmatel.

I think your problem maybe is the audio driver, not skype.

Have you tried talk in the live messenger for example?

[]'s

Just small comment Skype 3.8 asks to confirm the run due to some incompatibility win win7 platform (not in vista). however in my case it works after the confirmation
    use Thinkpad T60p + standard lenovo drivers , win7 32
    Skype 4 works as well.
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Ok, so now that I finally found time to update to the newest non-beta skype, and get newer audio drivers for my computer (they were about a version behind),  it seems to be *almost* completely working. opening the call quality dialog still crashes it, but everything else (based on a short call) seems to be working.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Issue:
    Windows 7 fully updated
    Newest version of Skype (no beta currently available)
    Skype crashes Windows completely upon sign in. Nothing in event logs. Any tips? I really need this to work.
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:54 PM
  • I also am having issues with Skype 4 (no beta out now) and Windows 7 RC x64.  I have a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card and used the Vista x64 drivers in compat. mode and Sounds works from iTunes and other applications fine.  When I go to login to Skype The "Signing in" wheel spins and then the WHOLE PC Freezes and I have to hard reboot, neting nothing in the event logs.  I have tried forcing Vista and XP compatability modes on Skype to the same results. 

My Setup:

Asus P5B Deluxe
    Intel Duo 2 Core E6440
    Corsair 520watt PSU
    Logitech Quickcam 9000

Other then Skype my system has been fine with heavy loads (video editing, WoW, etc) and everything I throw at it.
    • Proposed as answer by sixthday Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 04, 2009 1:51 PM

My Setup:

Asus P5B Deluxe
    Intel Duo 2 Core E6440
    Corsair 520watt PSU
    Logitech Quickcam 9000

I had the same problem with HT Omega Striker vs Skype in Windows 7 X64 build up. However, I do find a temp solution for it. Looks like there is a bug in Skype's sound effects codes (not the microphone/speakers). This is how you can deal with it:

1. Disconnect your internet so that skype wont sign in.
    2. Open windows device manager and disable (not uninstall, just disable it) the HT Omega Striker sound card
    3. Connect your internet
    4. Sign on your skype as usual.
    5. Now go to skype --> tools --> options
    6. Go to sound effects page (NOT the microphone/speaker page) and MUTE all soundeffects (such as "sign on", "sign off"), make sure you mute all of them.
    7. Enable your HT Omega Striker
    8. Now your skype should work. Microphone and speakers should work well in calls and rings. But you wont have the sound effects when sign-in or someone sending fill and such.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Props! I just found this thread looking for a solution to a similar problem. Mine was with a turtle beach montego soundcard. All sorted now. Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:47 PM