none
Resizing W7 partition

Question

• I started out with Windows 7 Home on my new Dell XPS laptop.  It came preinstalled, but i decided I needed the W7 Pro edition.  So I therefore installed it but I could not shrink c drive to less than 160GB because some files where unmoveable at the end of the drive.  I tried to follow the instructions but sorry to say that even for a person using computers for over 20 years it was still too difficult. 

I therefore started the installation all over again with a fresh installation instead of an upgrade.  However, now I have a bunch of extra partitions on my hd.  I now have the following:

OEM Partition (39MB)
    Recovery D: (14.65GB)
    System Reserved (100MB)
    Dell C: (48.73GB)
    234.57GB Unallocated.

Now, I am planning to make two partitions out of the unallocated but just wondering if I should fix some of the other paritions, since there are so many. Are they all needed? No doubt the Recovery is needed, but what about the OEM partition and the System Reserved?  Those two are in questions.

Please advise.  Thanks.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to create the partition when installing Windows 7.

In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been partitioned) on the hard disk drive.

Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically created during installation, here’s a few rules to follow when choosing where to install Windows 7 to:

1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk space as special partition without notification).

2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.

3. If you’re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.

When prompted with dialog box saying “To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files”, click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm, Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.    OEM Partition for running Dell Backup & Recovery Software & Dell Restore Factory Image from Recovery D:

2.    System Partition for windows 7 to run BCD & BitLocker Drive Encryption.

3.    Dell C: for Windows 7 Home

4.    Recovery D: Use when running Dell Backup & Recovery Software to restore factory Image.

Hope you find the info useful
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to create the partition when installing Windows 7.

In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been partitioned) on the hard disk drive.

Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically created during installation, here’s a few rules to follow when choosing where to install Windows 7 to:

1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk space as special partition without notification).

2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.

3. If you’re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.

When prompted with dialog box saying “To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files”, click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm, Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Thanks Thomas for the help.  However, the 3 laptops that I have set up so far all come with Windows 7 already installed on it and already with a single partition hd.  When I turned on the latest one, a HP laptop, it installed Windows 7 right after I hit the power button and gave me no options to partition the drive.  Now I have a 500 GB hard drive with a sinlge partition. When I go into Disk Management and try to shrink the c: drive, it leaves me with the option of shrinking it to 219GB and leaving 244GB unallocated.  Well that is not what I want.  I want 50GB for c: drive and then the remainer in two more partitions.  But I cannot shrink c: drive past 219GB.  The message appears, "You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmoveable files are located.  See the "defrag" event in the application log for detailed information about the operation when it has completed." 

Oh, I think I just found the answer.  I must copy these unmoveable files to somewhere else, to backup, then delete them off c: drive and then shrink the disk.  I can then move them from the copied located back to the c drive and all is fine.  I just hope I can find which are the unmoveable files.

Thanks.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Great.  Now I don't know what I did wrong.  I managed to get the drive down to 50GB after installing an upgrade to W7 Pro.  However, when I went to partition the unallocated 240GB into 2 partitions the only option available was a simple partition.  Since that was all that was available I did that.  Then it warned me about doing this but not understanding what it meant I went ahead anyways.  Oops.  I hope I didn't ruin it or I will have to do it all over again, as now I see that the whole partition is a simple partition and only the OEM Partition of 39MB is a primary partition.  Is there anyway to put the c drive back to primary partition?!  Or can it all stay as a simple partition?  Can I just leave everything as it is?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 8:10 AM