none
[Hot issue] Deployment of Oct's Delta and Cumulative updates in the same month may cause your computer failing to boot

General discussion

• Background

Delta update is available for servicing of Windows 10, version 1607 (Anniversary Update), version 1703 (Creators Update), and version 1709 (Fall Creators Update). For releases after version 1709, you will need to implement a deployment infrastructure that supports Express update delivery to continue taking advantage of incremental updates.

Information reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/monthly-delta-update-isv-support-without-wsus

Issue

You will see both Delta and Cumulative updates like below:

If you approve and deploy the same version of the Delta and Cumulative update, you will not only generate additional network traffic since both will be downloaded to the PC, but you may not be able to reboot your computer to Windows after restart.

Solution:

1. Plug into AC power and turn on the device.

2. If the device fails to boot, Windows will attempt to repair your device and enter the Windows 10 Recovery Environment. Select “Advanced options” on the Automatic Repair screen.

3. Select “Troubleshoot”, then “Advanced Options”, and then “System Restore”.

If a restore point is available prior to the installation of KB4041676 or KB4041691, use the System Restore wizard to restore to the earlier Restore Point. If a restore point does not exist, close System Restore’ and continue to the next step.

4. Select “Troubleshoot”, then “Advanced Options” and then “Command Prompt”. You may be asked to enter a BitLocker Recovery Key or username/password. If prompted for a username/password, you must enter a local account. If you do not have credentials, you many need to create and use a Recovery Drive.

5. After the Command Prompt launches, run the following to load the software registry hive:

reg load hklm\temp <drive letter for windows directory>\windows\system32\config\software

Examplereg load hklm\temp c:\windows\system32\config\software

6. Run the following command to delete the SessionsPending registry key. If the registry value does not exist, proceed to the next step.

reg delete “HKLM\temp\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending” /v Exclusive

7. Run the following to unload the registry:

reg unload HKLM\temp

8. Run the following command, which will list all pending updates:

dism.exe /image:<drive letter for windows directory> /Get-Packages

Exampledism.exe /image:c:\ /Get-Packages

9. Run the following command for each packages where “State = Install Pending”:

dism.exe /image:<drive letter for windows directory> /remove-package /packagename:<package name>

Exampledism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix_Wrapper~31bf3856ad365e35~amd64~~15063.674.1.8

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad365e35~amd64~~15063.674.1.8

10. Close the Command Prompt and click ‘Continue’ to exit the recovery environment.

Addition:

You may also encounter these scenarios, please refer to Windows devices may fail to boot after installing October 10 version of KB4041676 or KB4041691 that contained a publishing issue

1. WSUS/SCCM Administrators that synced the Delta Package versions of KB4041676 or KB4041691 before 4pm PDT October 10 may still have these KBs cached.

2. WSUS/SCCM managed devices that have downloaded and staged the Delta Package versions of KB4041676 or KB4041691 but have not rebooted to install.

Please click to vote if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:58 AM

All replies

• OK. Now I know my issue. I made this misstake in our Pilot 1 Update Ring. 9 of 10 machines are not able to boot now. But if there are machines which need the cumulative update and there are also machines which "only" need the delta - how can I deploy the right update to the right machines? How to devide these machines to different collections on ConfigMgr to prevent downloading and installing the wrong update or both? Why isn't Windows 10 clever enough to install only the needed update?

BTW: I tried to uninstall the updates before I read this but it do not work. It stops with an error 0x800something. (I will try tomorrow again and update this comment with the error code ;-))
    • Edited by -Dietmar- Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:17 PM