none
Machine_Check_Exception Ultimate 64

Question

•  

This is not an installation related issue.  Machine has been running for several months and I woke up this morning o the BSOD, so I presume an update has caused this.

Specific Error:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

*** Stop: 0x00000009C (0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA8003223C68, 0x00000000B2000040,0x0000000000000800)

No other known issues with systems or system changes, only updates set to download and install every night at 0300 hrs.

This is a Intel DC 2.4 running on an ASUS P5N32-SLI with 4GB RAM and 4 SATA Drives against an nVidia RAID.  Again, this has been running fine until the overnight.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:20 PM

All replies

• Machine Check Exception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

Have you tried to restart your computer?  Is the error persistant or did it occur just the one time?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, it is persistent.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1.       Update the drivers for the motherboard and video card.

2.   Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.   Ensure all the hardware devices, installed device drivers, and installed applications are all compatible with Windows Vista.

4.   For Compatibility information, please refer to Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl

5.   Disable all the third party startup programs and services by using the MSConfig.exe utility shipped with Windows Vista. To use this tool, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 01, 2008 2:53 AM
  • If it was just a one-time thing, then my first thought would be system overheating (such as high load when one or more fans had failed.)
    However, since it's persistent (the system now fails to boot, or BSODs shortly after boot, I take it?), then it does tend to point to a hardware problem or BIOS (mis)configuration:
    -Are you overclocking?  If so, return everything in the BIOS to 'stock' speeds, and check stability.
    -RAM could be failing.  Run Memtest86+ for as long as you can tolerate being without your computer (I like to give it at least four passes, as each pass tests the memory differently.)  If there are any errors, play the swap-sticks-and-repeat game until you narrow it down to a faulty stick, or a faulty RAM slot on the mobo.
    -Flaky power supply, or extremely 'dirty' incoming power.  If you're plugged in to a power strip, try eliminating that.  Otherwise, you'll need to swap out the power supply for a known-good unit. 
    I'd go after a power strip first, followed by overclocks (if applicable), then RAM test, then a PSU swap.

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:11 AM
  • Tim,

While I understand all of that.  What I have been able to determine is that the patch issued by MSFT on 7/12/2008 was installed the night of the crash - BSD.  I see, on the other machine I have built as an identical build, is showing a critical update from MSFT for the nVidia Raid Class Driver download and ready for install.  I thought I had updates set to automatic, I have it set to automatically download and install only when released.  To my memory then, I hit the install updates and shutdown that night instead of my usual shutdown procedure.  So, by process of elimination, this update is still outstanding on the one machine running fine and applied to the one that is BSD'd. 

I can boot just fine to one of my Linux DVD's I have built and use the system (I have run Suse, Ubuntu and RedHat), it works fine (I have a separate volume(SATA Drive not RAIDed) for Linux).  Windows attempts to start and then BSD's.  I even tried safe mode several different ways and I see the BSD immediately following the storport driver attempting to load. 

So while this is quite often a user related issue, The evidence is squarely that the update has caused this.  I do not overclock and I have an Antec 900 series case with an insane amount of cooling and CPU cooling as well (If you are familiar with this case I have 6 120mm fans installed and the huge 220 MM in the top for exhaust with a Thermaltake ORB-II on the CPU).  Even under loads where I was running VM against locally installed SQL, the CPU temp was 33C - 37C, System board around 29C-32C.  I have the additional fans to offset heat from the 4 - 500GB SATA Drives [RAID 5 volume] and the additional 320, 5 in total that like to create a lot of ambient case heat).  So, the thoughts around electron float across the bus is not valid either.

I would remove the drivers if I could get the system past the BSD.  Even trying to drop back to a restore point is failing.  So I am almost literally stuck since the patch did such a nice job fixing what wasn't broke, but is now.

So I have to drop off the cash to create a support incident.  NIIIICE!!!  I work for a software company that is in the top 5 in size and use this as a test machine for a lot of management tools.  So I understand supporting end users is a difficult things at times.  I just do not see a way around having to pay you guys the cash, even though we are a VL MSDN Subscriber and MSFT Alliance Partner.  However, this falls outside of our agreements since I use this as a testing machine.  I am just frustrated since there is over a month of work on this machine that I was about to execute a VM Conversion on today.

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Good thoughts, thanks.

See previous reply to Tim for some of this.

Plugged in to an APC 2K UPS running behind an 800W quad rail (rather expensive) power supply.  I run against LINUX with no errors or problems.

As otherwise noted, the system will BSDO immediately after loading the storport diver tries to load coming in to Safe Mode.

Since this is a testing machine for me, I keep everything configured (BIOS and Otherwise) to one of stability and not speed. 

Thank you all for the interactions thus far, greatly appreciated.

Friday, August 01, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Another thought.

Is there a Boot-up hot key to exeute a clean boot, such as the old Shift to load the system.1st in older days gone by.  Seems to my thinking that if such a hidden key sequence does exist, this could potentially get me there as it would disregard the Safe Mode drivers and the normal set of drivers.

Friday, August 01, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Actually, I lied.  I just check it again.  Here is the driver that is last displayed when booting to safe mode just before the BSD.

NVRD64.SYS

Friday, August 01, 2008 4:16 PM