none
Force End Point to use specific Distribution Point Server and never use Primary Server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

How to setup in CM 1802 so our end point can use specific Distribution point and never visit Primary Server (WAN Link) to download content. 

We have 1 Primary server which has role installed (DP, MP,SUP)

we have 5 DP (Distribution point).

I have configured Boundary as (AD Site, IP Subnett based)

Every Boundary I have added specific DP + Primary Server (as recommend by Microsoft)

now i have noticed our client randomly downloading data from primary server + site DP. This will use our WAN Link and sometime network chock situation.

Can someone suggest the best practice so our End point download data only from Specific DP and never go to Primary server

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:55 PM

Answers

• I have configured Boundary as (AD Site, IP Subnett based)

Don't do this. Only use IP Address Range boundaries.

> Every Boundary I have added specific DP + Primary Server (as recommend by Microsoft)

You don't add site systems to boundaries, you add them to boundary groups.

Also, you should stop listening to whomever recommended this to you as this explicitly configures the clients to randomly choose between the local DP and the DP on the site server. If you want fallback, place the site server in the default boundary group only and any boundary groups that it is explicitly meant to server but not the boundary groups for your remote location.

There's no such things as best practices. There's defining your requirements and matching them to the supported capabilities of the product.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:04 PM

All replies

• I have configured Boundary as (AD Site, IP Subnett based)

Don't do this. Only use IP Address Range boundaries.

> Every Boundary I have added specific DP + Primary Server (as recommend by Microsoft)

You don't add site systems to boundaries, you add them to boundary groups.

Also, you should stop listening to whomever recommended this to you as this explicitly configures the clients to randomly choose between the local DP and the DP on the site server. If you want fallback, place the site server in the default boundary group only and any boundary groups that it is explicitly meant to server but not the boundary groups for your remote location.

There's no such things as best practices. There's defining your requirements and matching them to the supported capabilities of the product.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

As Jason point out, to meet your demand, we should use IP address to configure boundary because AD site cannot be split up, and then add a specific DP to each boundary group.

Since during content deployment, if a client requests content that isn't available from a DP in its current boundary group, the client continues to request that content. The client tries different DPs in its current boundary group until it reaches the fallback period for a neighbor or the default site boundary group. 

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/deploy/configure/boundary-groups#distribution-points

Best Regards,
    Tina 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 16, 2019 6:26 AM