none
"Invalid MS-DOS Function" Interrupting File Copy RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an error message that says "Invalid MS-DOS Function." and interrupts the copying process. While copying  97 gigabyte game (DCUO) directory to another hard drive connect via USB 3.0.

Anyone know what's going on?

Friday, January 11, 2019 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Tae

For instance MineCraft server (if I recall it correctly) somehow creates a folder called an illegal name ".Minecraft" or something like that.

How this is even possible I don't know as MS does not allow it, but also you cannot copy it.

Please, if your games is part of Steam, move it through the Steam interface.

Janine -Milanese

Friday, January 11, 2019 10:37 AM
  • What program are you using to copy?
    is the target drive formatted as NTFS?

• Edited by EckiS Friday, January 11, 2019 2:44 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to your description, it is recommended that you try the method metionded in the following link:

https://www.repairwin.com/invalid-ms-dos-function-while-copying-files-solved/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 11, 2019 4:11 PM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried everything but I'm still getting the error. I used the Registry editor, used command prompt, defragmented my drives but still it's not working. I want to copy some image files from a HDD to my laptop, and although most of them copy successfully, there are two folders which dont work and the MS-DOS error is displayed. What do I do now? Please help me :)

Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:28 AM