none
Windows 8 Pro Volume License Edition will not allow me to "Add Features", therefore unable to add Media Center Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Having been made aware via these Forums that Windows 8 Enterprise was unable to upgrade Media Center, I have upgraded out conferencing center unit to Windows 8 PRO via our Volume License installation media this weekend.

To my horror, I now discover that the "Add features to Windows" option normally available in Windows 8 Pro Retail Editions is apparently not available in Volume License SKUs:

The installation method described at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs "Add Features to Windows 8" is also not available, listing only "Turn Windows Features on or off" which of course does not start the required wizard.

I have subsequently attempted to change the local policy of the unit, explicitly disabling the supression of the "Add Features" option, as per below to no avail.

I would be grateful for advice on the following:

1) Any script/registry edit that would allow me to enter my Media Center key in order to activate this licensed feature

2) Failing this, if it is possible for me to purchase a $49 upgrade key, and convert my VL Edition to Retail in order to activate this feature

3) Can someone from Microsoft please point out specifically where on their website, blogs or elsewhere they have publicly stated that the VL Pro edition (Not just the Enterprise Edition) would have Media Center functionality crippled in this way, prior to me wasting an entire day on this utterly pointless exercise.

Many thanks to the community for any advice.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:14 PM

Answers

• I have a semi solution for you. I managed to pick up a copy of W8 Retail  as I was getting one for home anyway, if you grab a retail ISO and run a upgrade install on your current setup, add features will appear, the gem is your volume license key still works and add features remains. Hope this helped!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:31 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue, when I search for "add features" All I get is the Add Program and features box but no way to download WMC add-on. 
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Dealing with the same thing. Got the Windows 8 pro upgrade, and when I enter the product key in it says this key won't work? Would really like to get this working?
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:45 PM
  • I think my issue may be different to your issue of the wizard not accepting the key... My issue is that there is no chance for me to even open the Wizard. I understand that this situation is unique to Volume License keys.

Alistair Cameron

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I'm on w8 pro volume license and have exactly the same issue, add features is missing. Would love to install Media Centre! My only thought is we might be using some kind of Enterprise version of pro. Don't know why MS could of just put it a free or paid download in the Microsoft store.

I tried messing with the group policy like you have also to no avail and couldn't seem to see anything registry wise relating to it, hope there is a solution soon!

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Consider yourself lucky.  Win 8 Media Center WILL NOT WORK with current Media Center Extenders...  Don't give MS another penny until they fix this!
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Oh tell me about it... I have a Linksys DMA2100 that is now about as useful as a door-stop.   It has been outputting a black screen since the Win 8 Consumer Preview.  I'd just about got over being hacked off about that one before this happened...

Overall shoddy handling of MCE going a long way to tarnish an otherwise great experience with the new product...

Alistair Cameron

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Dealing with the same thing. Got the Windows 8 pro upgrade, and when I enter the product key in it says this key won't work? Would really like to get this working?

I have the exact same situation. Using their upgrade wizard, I purchased  a Windows 8 pro upgrade. I did a clean install (custom), and blew away my windows 7 install.Now I want to take advantage of the hyper-v stuff, but it won't accept the key Microsoft emailed me. The OS DOES activate however, I just can't even get to the point where I could see the features.

So far this thing is a mess. 

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Having been made aware via these Forums that Windows 8 Enterprise was unable to upgrade Media Center, I have upgraded out conferencing center unit to Windows 8 PRO via our Volume License installation media this weekend.

To my horror, I now discover that the "Add features to Windows" option normally available in Windows 8 Pro Retail Editions is apparently not available in Volume License SKUs:

The installation method described at "Add Features to Windows 8" is also not available, listing only "Turn Windows Features on or off" which of course does not start the required wizard.

I have subsequently attempted to change the local policy of the unit, explicitly disabling the supression of the "Add Features" option, as per below to no avail.

1) Any script/registry edit that would allow me to enter my Media Center key in order to activate this licensed feature

2) Failing this, if it is possible for me to purchase a $49 upgrade key, and convert my VL Edition to Retail in order to activate this feature

3) Can someone from Microsoft please point out specifically where on their website, blogs or elsewhere they have publicly stated that the VL Pro edition (Not just the Enterprise Edition) would have Media Center functionality crippled in this way, prior to me wasting an entire day on this utterly pointless exercise.

Hello dear Microsoft TechGuys

I am having the exact same issue. Any answers from your end is highly anticipated and appreciated beause I too spend more than a day of searching. Many thanks

Kind regards

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Same issue here.  I  thought this would be resolved with an update now that the OS is 'officially' out.  Very frustrating.  I also had an activation error with the volume license copy Win 8 Pro.  It does not ask for the key, and the option to change product key has been removed, and activation fails with an error and no way to change the key.  Honestly, I like the speed of Win 8, but the Metro UI is horrid except for tablets.  I hate that all navigation/options are only accessible by accessing the corners (or swiping in).  The whole Metro thing should be an option that should be able to be turned on and off.  Simple things like pulling up the command prompt or powering down the system now take 3 times longer than before.  It greatly hinders productivity, and this business with Media Center being missing and now I can't even add it with the key MS emailed me is the last bleeping straw.  I'm uninstalling this POS and not looking back. 

• Proposed as answer by techgenio Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:20 AM
  • I have a semi solution for you. I managed to pick up a copy of W8 Retail  as I was getting one for home anyway, if you grab a retail ISO and run a upgrade install on your current setup, add features will appear, the gem is your volume license key still works and add features remains. Hope this helped!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:31 AM
  • I can confirm this is also the case with Volume Licensing ISO and keys I have.

The option to "Add features to Windows" simply doesn't exist. Either in the System properties screen or in the start menu.

This is quite frustrating. As has been suggested this will likely work if you were to use a retail disc with the volume license key.

Does anyone know if this is also the case with the TechNet ISO?

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Non EU one would work, not sure where the TechNet ISO is sourced -OR if the most recent ISO has the missing feature fixed. From what I can gather the official word is British pro ISO through various corporate sources all have add features missing. Unsure what MS intend to do, if anything?

Best to download the TechNet one and run a upgrade, worst case scenario is you have to fill in your wireless details again and reactivate!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:16 PM
  • We are also seeing this issue, and need a fix.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Downloading the TechNet ISO is not a fix for those that don't have access to TechNet.

MS need to fix the MVLS Windows 8 Pro ISO, unless there is a genuine technical or licensing reason for the "Add features" function being missing.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:14 PM
  • I've now also tried this with the Windows 8 Pro N ISO, with the same results.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:38 PM
  • me too.What would we do?
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I too have purchased Windows 8 pro and windows 8 pro pack, when I went to upgrade windows pro pack I was unable... I'm really not interested in working on Microsoft Beta project,  from what I've seen is enough to convince me that anyone upgrading to Win 8 without a touch screen is pure insanity. My suggestion for desktop user is stay with Windows 7,  this is Vista (all over) with a touch screen add feature, if you are lucky enough to get it to work....
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:14 PM
  • I am also looking for a resolution here...
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:47 PM

The installation method described at "Add Features to Windows 8" is also not available, listing only "Turn Windows Features on or off" which of course does not start the required wizard.

Hello dear Microsoft TechGuys

I am having the exact same issue. Any answers from your end is highly anticipated and appreciated beause I too spend more than a day of searching. Many thanks

Kind regards

Ditto. This is ridiculous.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Yo, techgenio, enter your activation key by opening the Run dialogue and typing "slui 3" (WIN+R works from the Desktop!). As for the Metro design, I'm diggin' it . . . matches my phone and my soon-to-be Surface. As for the rest of it, look around for a few Win8 keyboard shortcuts, real timesavers. Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, especially since it sounds like you haven't even given the kid a proper bath yet!
    • Edited by blinkdt Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:49 PM typos
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Superb, This worked for me as an interim fix, many thanks.

The volume license key I have did not work for the retail ISO, however I was able to obtain a "spare key" to allow installation (but not activation) and then change the key back after it had installed

Problem solved for now, but really disappointed about the deafening silence from MS on this issue. Not impressed at all!

Many thanks Superblackball!

Alistair Cameron

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi guys, not sure if this is a solution for the Enterprise version, but it could resolve the Pro one.  My copy of Win 8 Pro is via MAPS.  On reading this thread, I've attempted the Add New Features & this is the result: -

On right clicking My computer then clicking on properties, I've found that Windows Activation is different to previous versions.  On Win 8 it states: - "view details in Windows Activation".

On clicking that, I get a new page showing that windows is activated & it also shows an active button for "Add New Features".  On clicking that I get another page with 2 options: -

1:  I want to buy a product key online &

2: I already have a product key.

On clicking option 1, I get a further page stating: - "Here's what we've found"

"Windows Media Center Pack"

£6.99

Choose.

As for the Start Menu, I've installed "classic shell" & it works a charm.

Hope this benefits those with these issues.

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Hi guys, not sure if this is a solution for the Enterprise version, but it could resolve the Pro one.  My copy of Win 8 Pro is via MAPS.  On reading this thread, I've attempted the Add New Features & this is the result: -

On right clicking My computer then clicking on properties, I've found that Windows Activation is different to previous versions.  On Win 8 it states: - "view details in Windows Activation".

On clicking that, I get a new page showing that windows is activated & it also shows an active button for "Add New Features".  On clicking that I get another page with 2 options: -

1:  I want to buy a product key online &

2: I already have a product key.

On clicking option 1, I get a further page stating: - "Here's what we've found"

"Windows Media Center Pack"

£6.99

Choose.

As for the Start Menu, I've installed "classic shell" & it works a charm.

Hope this benefits those with these issues.

Hello Sirius:

I have Windows 8 Pro and I followed your steps and I don't have the "Add New Features " button as you described. Any one else has found how to fix this issue? Is Microsoft doing something?

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Just so I follow what you're saying.....I've already got Win8 volume license installed and all I need to do is run an upgrade with a Win8 retail disk then I will have the add features options?  Seems like this would be something simple enough for M$ to take care of via an update.  Then again, I don't understand why it's not simply part of the OS like it was before.
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:04 AM
  • I am having an odd problem.  I have a membership to the Microsoft Action Pack which does not expire until August 2013.  It states that I have 10 licenses for Windows 8 Professional.  I have downloaded and burned the ISO, and installed it to one of the two PCs on my test domain without issue.  Upon upgrading my second PC, I am receiving the prompt to activate, indicating that the key that I have used is already in use.

I would like to state again, that the key associated with my Action Pack membership is listed as having 10 (ten) licenses associated with it, and that I have been an Action Pack subscriber for two years and had not experienced this issue when attempting to deploy three installations of Windows 7 to my test domain.

I know this is a somewhat unique issue in that most are not using an Microsoft Action Pack membership, but I'm in the IT industry and am reaching out to the forum as a first attempt to resolve the issue before contacting Microsoft directly.

Just wondering if there are any other IT professionals with the MS Action Pack who have run into this issue, and how they have resolved it.

Regards,

Spence

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Hello Sirius:

I have Windows 8 Pro and I followed your steps and I don't have the "Add New Features " button as you described. Any one else has found how to fix this issue? Is Microsoft doing something?

I find that strange, as after reading this thread, I went in search of Media Center & found that Microsoft is doing a promotion until Jan 31st 2013 providing Media Center Pack free.  I registered & received my PK today.

Have just finished doing the above again, but this time clicking on Option 2: - entered the PK & continued.

Computer now stating Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:10 PM
  • I am having an odd problem.  I have a membership to the Microsoft Action Pack which does not expire until August 2013.  It states that I have 10 licenses for Windows 8 Professional.  I have downloaded and burned the ISO, and installed it to one of the two PCs on my test domain without issue.  Upon upgrading my second PC, I am receiving the prompt to activate, indicating that the key that I have used is already in use.

I would like to state again, that the key associated with my Action Pack membership is listed as having 10 (ten) licenses associated with it, and that I have been an Action Pack subscriber for two years and had not experienced this issue when attempting to deploy three installations of Windows 7 to my test domain.

I know this is a somewhat unique issue in that most are not using an Microsoft Action Pack membership, but I'm in the IT industry and am reaching out to the forum as a first attempt to resolve the issue before contacting Microsoft directly.

Just wondering if there are any other IT professionals with the MS Action Pack who have run into this issue, and how they have resolved it.

Regards,

Spence

Not sure if this helps.  Every time I added a new computer to the network, it showed that it needed activation.  Activated online with no problems. I think this is standard with MAPS.

No offence meant, but from the wording of your post, I'm assuming that you assume that the MAPS PK covers all 10 with the one activation. Sorry to say, but no matter how many of the 10 you use, they all need activation.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:20 PM

Regards,

Spence

Not sure if this helps.  Every time I added a new computer to the network, it showed that it needed activation.  Activated online with no problems. I think this is standard with MAPS.

No offence meant, but from the wording of your post, I'm assuming that you assume that the MAPS PK covers all 10 with the one activation. Sorry to say, but no matter how many of the 10 you use, they all need activation.

Thanks - I think I may have discovered the issue.  It may have been with my registration of the added "Media Pack" feature.  I had purchased a key enabling me to add the Media Features to my Windows 8 Pro, and had inadvertently used that key in registering my second Action Pack installation of Windows 8 Pro.  Later yesterday evening, I discovered that Microsoft is offering the Media Features Pack free, for a limited time.

details here; http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/feature-packs

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:57 AM
  • So no one from Microsoft can comment on this?  I bet they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for a solution.  VERY POOR EXECUTION ON THIS!
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:54 AM
  • Suggest you see my thread on the same subject which seems to have got some kind of answer, albeit not a particularly helpful one.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/da8b1554-af4a-467b-a93b-0d18f079f19c

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Same issue here.

This is the kind of stupid, greedy, illogical nonsense so many our moving to Mac's, Linux, etc..  I'm in meetings every year stating reasons why we should stay with Microsoft.  The CEO, CIO, CFO, etc... of my company all have Macs and are pushing to move the entire organization to Apple, and yes they do listen to me, go figure.  Then crap like this just drives me crazy.  The funny thing is, I only have Macs at home because I personally don't want to bother with the hassel, and yet I come to work and deal with it.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I'd like to clarify something - the technet version of windows 8 (NOT the VL edition) has the "add features" option.

I upgraded my VL edition to the technet edition and installed media center.

For those who will attempt this - you will need to use the "slmgr.vbs /ipk <technet product key>" operation first and walk through the activation using your technet key.  If you don't do this, it will fail at 30% of the upgrade process.  After the technet key is activated, restart, then once you are back in windows, put in the technet dvd and choose upgrade - keep all settings, apps, etc...  (It took my PC about 50 minutes - no idea why, as windows installs itself in about 15 minutes on the same machine.)  After you choose your settings and log back in, all your programs and such will still be there... AND the ADD FEATURES option is there! 

I put in my WMC key - installed, rebooted, still activated, Pro w/ media center show in the title and I'm a happy camper.

Tip: if you're planning on doing all of this remotely (like I did) - make sure you have a third party tool for remote access that starts as a service installed first.  I had to use VNC to finish the upgrade process (stuck at the screen asking you to pick your colors and login).  After that, I was able to use standard RDP for the rest of it all.

Now all I need is for MS to work out a resolution for the Hyper-V and HDCP conflict.  I want to watch blurays/cablecard TV and still run my VMs!!  argh.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Slide pointer to bottom right corner and bring up the panel. You will see control panel the search icon and PC INFO click on PC INFO You will then

see a link that says either get more features or add more features click that link and enter the product from microsoft the free one. it will check the product key and start adding Media Center Pro to your windows 8 pro

• Proposed as answer by Alex.du Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:42 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Keeith,

Are you sure you are working with Win8 Enterprise (or volume licensed editions)?  I don't see this option on mine????

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:40 PM
  • I did the same thing as etank52 and initially it looked like it had worked. However after the reboot with Media Center installed I noticed that Windows was no longer activated and would not reactivate with my volume license key. 

Anyone else have this issue?
    • Edited by MrRich76 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:25 AM
  • same here looks like it it worked but after reboot windows shows as not acivated and you can not even change the license key any more

Srinivas Pyla

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Same as above.  It did appear to work until after reboot.  But it's worse than that.  The activation process is completely broken now.  I can't activate with a retail or a volume license key now.  Looks like I'm going to have to reload my OS unless anybody knows of any activation magic to get a VLK to work after the solution proposed by etank52.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:43 PM
  • I've done something similar but reached a bit of an activation dead-end. Bear in mind that the entire reason I'm mucking about with this is because of Microsoft's weird policy of regression with media features in Windows 8 - sorry, but the built-in media apps are awful. We have volume licensing and software assurance at our school.

So, I:-

1. Updated Windows 7 to Windows 8 using retail media that I had to borrow, using the generic KMS key.

2. KMS activated it

3. Used the now-exposed 'add features' program to put my Media Center pack key (acquired legitimately when they were doing them for free) and let it do its thing

4. Now Windows will not activate at all, complains that it is an unknown SKU and won't let me change product keys again. Activation diagnostics says it is an unsupported OS.

@super black ball, when you say your VLK still works, did you re-enter it later? How?

This is such an unwarranted ball-ache from Microsoft and such a slap in the face for those of us who've always beat the drum for Windows as a great media platform - especially now that MS is so preoccupied with media and content delivery. Such a shambles.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:00 PM