none
Check for consistency. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I installed Windows 7 ultimate about 6 months ago, and lately I have been having some problems.  For the past couple weeks, sometimes the Disk Check for Consistency will pop up for my C: drive when I start up the computer.  Also, for the past couple days all the programs will randomly stop responding and the computer will freeze.  My laptop is an ASUS X83V, and it's a little over a year old.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:56 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure if that's the problem though, since I tried opening CPUtemp while the computer was running and it never went above 50C.  I tried to just run as few programs as possible, but sometimes it will freeze even with only itunes, chrome, and digsby on.  Also, the problem seems to be getting even worse, since it has blue screened twice today, and frozen maybe 5-7 times as well. I'll try to find some compressed air as soon as possible.  

Hi

What were the error messages on the blue screens? You can collect the minidump files that record the error information for the blue screens, upload them to a file sharing website and post back here with the URL to the files. We can download these files and try to determine what is causing the problems.

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. You should see files in that folder that have names in the following format.

xxxxxx-xxxxx-xx.dmp (where the x's are numbers) the first 6 numbers will show the date for the dump file, such as 04102010 for 4/10/2010.

2. Locate the files with the date when the blue screens occured. Right click these files and select Copy. Go to your Desktop, right click and select Paste.

3. Go to Microsoft Windows Live SkyDrive and create a free account for yourself. After the account is created, upload the .dmp files you pasted to the Desktop in your Public folder and post back here with the web address to that folder. Make sure the access for that folder is set to 'Everyone'.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• You might be experiencing some overheating problems. Try using a can of compressed air made for cleaning computers.  Make sure the laptop is off and shoot the air into both the outlets and intake openings, making sure to hold the can upright to prevent liquid entering the system.

Jerry

Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:48 AM
  • I'm not sure if that's the problem though, since I tried opening CPUtemp while the computer was running and it never went above 50C.  I tried to just run as few programs as possible, but sometimes it will freeze even with only itunes, chrome, and digsby on.  Also, the problem seems to be getting even worse, since it has blue screened twice today, and frozen maybe 5-7 times as well. I'll try to find some compressed air as soon as possible.  
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:00 AM

Hi

What were the error messages on the blue screens? You can collect the minidump files that record the error information for the blue screens, upload them to a file sharing website and post back here with the URL to the files. We can download these files and try to determine what is causing the problems.

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. You should see files in that folder that have names in the following format.

xxxxxx-xxxxx-xx.dmp (where the x's are numbers) the first 6 numbers will show the date for the dump file, such as 04102010 for 4/10/2010.

2. Locate the files with the date when the blue screens occured. Right click these files and select Copy. Go to your Desktop, right click and select Paste.

3. Go to Microsoft Windows Live SkyDrive and create a free account for yourself. After the account is created, upload the .dmp files you pasted to the Desktop in your Public folder and post back here with the web address to that folder. Make sure the access for that folder is set to 'Everyone'.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I've had similar problems and both were down to faulty hardware.

The first thing I would do is to download memtest86 and run that for at least 6 hours (preferably more). Any errors there indicate faulty RAM.

The other thing I would do is to download the diagnostic software for your hard drive from the manufacturers site and run that (preferably from a bootable floppy/CD as that then removes Windows from the equation)

HTH

Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:38 PM
  • The website is http://cid-221cc992f95345ba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/040910-43680-01.dmp

and I'll try to run memtest tonight, thank you all for your help.

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:09 AM
  • I wouldn't necessarily agree that it is a disk issue, I'd be more likely to think that it is memory related.  Have you ran memtest yet?  That would be my first step.

Timothy Macking - MCSE, MCDBA, MCT

St. Petersburg, FL

Tim Macking MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, CCNA
    Monday, April 12, 2010 1:34 AM
  • I ran memtest, and there were no errors.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:42 AM
  • It crashes sporadically, and usually when it does it starts off as one program not responding, and then all the programs stop responding.  Task Manager fails to start up, and even though I can open the Start Menu, nothing works.  Then if I wait long enough, the screen turns black.  I usually force-restart it, and the it enters into Disk Check, and then does some random things and then reboots.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:22 AM