none
Windows 7 64 bit and Asus P5Q BIOS issue RRS feed

• Question

• 64 bit version desktop theme ( Architechture) resets the BIOS on my Asus P5Q-E. This has happened two times. Both times the computer had entered sleep mode. When the computer was brought out of sleep mode it restarted and all of the bios settings were back to defaults, even the clock was reset. I changed the theme back to the default theme and the problem stopped. This computer is not overclocked. Asus P5Q-E, Nvidia 9800GTX, XFI Fatal1ty, 4 gb Corsair dominator PC8500, no raid. Drivers from asus, nvidia and creative labs as of this month. Anyony seen this before?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kesslerm

Windows do not have direct access to a BIOS.  Because each borad's BIOS is different and wrongly change a single bit in such setting would have heavy impact to the system.

Your issue is most likely is the following:

P5Q-E BIOS issue in ASUS offical fourm:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&id=20081230193309815&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

At this point I think you should contact ASUS for BUG report or return to RMA.

Regards
    MCITP - Enterprise Support Technican, MCITP - Enterprise Administrator, MCITP - Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    Monday, August 24, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Hi kesslerm:

Just wanted you to know that I'm suffering the same problem, minus the desktop theme part. No matter which theme I set, machine will not come out of sleep
    mode in Win7, and when I go to turn it off, Voila! It clears all CMOS settings.

I have filed a report with Asus about it. Let's get them to do something about this, which seems to me to clearly be a BIOS bug.

Which BIOS version are your running? I'm running 1901.

Shplad
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:19 PM
  • i have the same problem but i have windows 7 ultimate 7600 installed on an asus X83Vb-X2 notebook, but i also have another problem... i cant get into the bios and set the clock, change the settings... nothing...its password protected.  it was my ex-girlfriends, she bought the laptop, but gave it to me for me for my birthday, turns out it came from a pawn shop, which one i will never know, seeing as how we cant talk to eachother any more (court order) i have no clue how i can clear the password.  I have had it for some time now, and have grown too attached to it to. i just installed windows 7 and the new NVIDIA 182 driver for its GeForce 9300m GS 512mb graphix card. and now every time i restart this thing it sets the time and date back to 12/05/2008. I assume thats the date it was built. any ideas what the he** is going on?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:54 PM