none
request: Refresh background RRS feed

• General discussion

• Would like Windows 7 to Refresh (from right-click desktop) background image.

I use a daily updated graph which is the same file, only modified, as background image and I think all I can do to refresh the picture is select another theme and return to the other to get Windows 7 to see the change.

Vista is similar in regards to not able to Refresh, yet it's easier because all that needs to be done is going into the desktop settings window (then Background) and exiting. That's enough to reset the image file. W7 requires an actual change to take place before doing same.

If anyone has a solution I would love to hear it. Have sent feedback to MS about it but wondering if that will ever change since it wasn't done in Vista either. Can only guess the reason might be for a faster refresh of desktop icons...?

(edit: Thanks for the response!)
    • Edited by NANequate Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:56 AM
  •  

Here is a workaround for you.

Place a shortcut on the desktop of the file you use for your desktop background.  When you want to refresh the image with the updated version, right-click the shortcut and select Set as Desktop Background.  At that point, it is instantly updated.

Friday, February 13, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Thank you Darien.

That will be good enough for now but it sure would be great if Windows could actually sense a background file change (modified date/time, obviously) and do this without needing somebody to do anything-- aside from updating the file itself, of course!

Only potential problem with using this shortcut idea is that the image requires the entire desktop to be cleared to see all of it. I do that when not working on the computer, leaves it entirely viewable.
    Pinning the shortcut to the taskbar is certainly an option, too, but then I like to leave taskbar space available for other things.

My other option might be to set it as screen saver, although I haven't checked to see if that can notice the changed/modified image file. Another reason that might not be perfectly suited to this particular situation is any touch of keyboard or move of mouse and the picture disappears. Sometimes I do a few things while checking the graph.

Never had dual displays and I realize this is probably a good reason to do so. Maybe someday...

Thanks again!
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Just an update after installing the RC... must still select a different theme then desired one again to get background refresh when the file name remains the same yet is actually changed (redone image).
    *sigh*
    I don't understand the logic of not allowing at least right-click on desktop and selecting Refresh to do this. Sure hope this can be done someday.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I don't understand the logic of not allowing at least right-click on desktop and selecting Refresh to do this. Sure hope this can be done someday.
    Wait a second ... then what is this for?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: If there is a way to change/refresh desktop background via cmd (command line), then it'd be easy to make a scheduled task to do it :)
    Regards, Kristaps.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Refreshes icons...
    I'm using the trick suggested earlier, by putting a shortcut to the image file on the Desktop I can right-click it and choose Set as desktop background.
    What I wonder is why can't Refresh update changes occuring, such as one image file being remade and saved using the same file name? It seems a straightforward thing to me, but maybe that isn't the idea of that particular menu choice.

In Personalize, if I select the same image (my saved Theme) I would think that might also sense the change. I'm probably expecting too much of that. But selecting a different one and back again is tedious.

I'll be looking into automation another way, like you say.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:28 PM
  • If I understand correctly, you're trying to update your desktop background with a new image when you log on.  I wrote (ie googled) a little script that should do the trick for you (keep in mind I don't know if this will work on Windows 7, but it's worth a try).  You simply have to copy this script to a location you want, and then create a shortcut to it, and place that shortcut into your "Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder (again, I'm assuming the same structure in Windows 7).  This will have the script executed at startup, which should properly update your desktop with the bmp you have.  To run it whenever you change the bmp, you will have to modify the script as needed.  Here it is:

## reset the Reg Key to blank
    reg add "hkcu\control panel\desktop" /v wallpaper /t REG_SZ /d "" /f

RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

## and set the Reg Key to your desired image
    reg add "hkcu\control panel\desktop" /v wallpaper /t REG_SZ /d "<PATH AND FILENAME OF YOUR IMAGE>" /f

RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

Hope this helps :)
    I just wrote this in notepad and saved it as a .bat file
    Good luck.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Apparently something else needs to happen with Windows 7 for this to work properly. UpdatePerUserSystemParameters is probably reading the change in the registry, however, the background is not being updated. I have tried changing WallpaperStyle prior to UpdatePerUserSystemParameters, however, that didn't help either.

Specifically with XP and XP X64, I would update wallpaper in the registry and then update with "UpdatePerUserSystemParameters, 1 ,True" in a batch file and run the task scheduler when I wanted the pictures updated. I like to have night and day backgrounds during the day and night.

This is a mystery for me with Windows 7. Maybe it is from how the desktop background is handled by the windows theme manager.

-William
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I'm trying to refresh the wallpaper from the CMD as well without luck. The tricks mentioned on the Internet with running RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll, UpdatePerUserSystemParameters doesn't work any more. I have seen mentioned that it should be possible through COM, so I expect it might be possible with a script instead.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:31 PM
  • would like to bump this - this doesnt work for me either on windows 7 ultimate x64
    %WinDir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Had similar problem and wanted to post my final solution:

After trying everything from restarting the themes service to changing "C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg" to the image I wanted, the only thing I could get to refresh the image is the following:

1. Set your wallpaper to not 1 image, but 2 images on slideshow. Example: "wallpaper_placeholder_1.jpg" and "wallpaper_placeholder_2.jpg"

2. Set the Desktop Background to change between the two pictures every 10 seconds. (the shortest refresh time available)

3. Write a batch script to run on startup or as a scheduled task to "copy" and rename your image to replace "wallpaper_placeholder_1.jpg" and "wallpaper_placeholder_2.jpg"

Now, whenever your script runs the two images are replaced and, at most ten seconds later, your wallpaper changes to the newest image. It feels like such a hack, but that's all I could get working.

I'm not sure this will work with non-jpg images since it looked like all .bmp images I worked with got converted to .jpg and stored in "C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg".

If you really need it, here is the contents of my batch file:

copy "D:\image.jpg" "D:\wallpaper\wallpaper_placeholder_1.jpg"

copy "D:\image.jpg" "D:\wallpaper\wallpaper_placeholder_2.jpg"

That is all. I can now change my wallpaper from a scheduled task.

Friday, December 17, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Windows 7.... this solution works

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

The above directory is where wallpaper.bmp is stored which is the current wallpaper

create a folder anywhere that houses a different wallpaper.bmp file that you will be editing

in this folder you will place the a copy of the wallpaper.bmp file that you will edit as often as you like

In the same folder place wallpaperchanger.exe and its config file... (get these files from the website below)

Set the config file appropriately following the directions at this website (using the filepath of the edited wallpaper.bmp)

(http://www.sg20.com/wallpaperchanger/)

Edit the wallpaper.bmp file (as often as you like) in the wallpaperedit folder and then run wallpaperchanger.exe

This exe file can be set in task scheduler to allow a constant refresh of the background

Friday, February 20, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Hello Sir, I had read your suggestion, u just clear me one thing that should I clear the # tag from the script?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:40 AM