none
Vista SP2 - Problems with Windows Installer

Question

• I have been working on an MSI which installs on both the Windows XP (SP3) and Windows Vista (SP1) operating systems. Until recently, the MSI has been installing successfully to both operating systems. Although the MSI essentially performs the same installation on both operating systems, there are slight differences - a different deferred custom action install script is run for each operating system. The VersionNT property is used to determine the operating system. Anyway, I have recently applied SP2 on the Vista machine and the MSI now fails with the following error:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

I wanted to prove that this was related to Vista SP2. I therefore ran the install on an identical Windows Vista (SP1) machine and the install worked. I then reran the MSI to remove the soiftware. After which I installed Vista SP2 on this machine. Any attempts to run the MSI after applying Vista SP2 resulted in the aforementioned error message.

I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• I have been working on an MSI which installs on both the Windows XP (SP3) and Windows Vista (SP1) operating systems. Until recently, the MSI has been installing successfully to both operating systems. Although the MSI essentially performs the same installation on both operating systems, there are slight differences - a different deferred custom action install script is run for each operating system. The VersionNT property is used to determine the operating system. Anyway, I have recently applied SP2 on the Vista machine and the MSI now fails with the following error:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

I wanted to prove that this was related to Vista SP2. I therefore ran the install on an identical Windows Vista (SP1) machine and the install worked. I then reran the MSI to remove the soiftware. After which I installed Vista SP2 on this machine. Any attempts to run the MSI after applying Vista SP2 resulted in the aforementioned error message.

I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions.

I have the same problem that told me that my windos installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if the widows installer is not correctly installed.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 6:47 AM
  • How do you correctly install windows installer if its not already correct.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:25 PM