none
Flash Drive Safe Removal RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Vista Home Premium and am backing up on a 4GB Flash Drive through a USB 2.0 port.  After doing this successfully a number of times over the past year, the system will not recognize the flash drive - it gives me the no device plugged in.  I looked in System Manager and it said that the device has been marked for safe removal and had not been removed.  Try removing the device and pluggin it back in - that did not work.  I have another 4GB flash drive that works normally in the port.  Question is, how do I reformat the flash drive and get past all this so that I can use it again.  Incidentally, I uninstalled the device drive and reinstalled that with no success.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Thank you for your update.

I notice that the problematic flash drive cannot work properly on other computers, either. Therefore, I suspect the device should be damaged. Regarding this, it is recommended that you contact the manufacture or vendor of the flash drive for technical support or warranty.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, may I know the following:

1.    How do you perform the backup, with the Backup and Restore which comes with Windows?

2.    Will the 4GB Flash Drive appear in Computer after you plug it? If not, please also plug the Flash Drive to another computer to see if it works. If it cannot be recognized and read at all, I suspect it should be damaged.

3.    The formats of both flash drives.

If you are using Backup and Restore which comes with Windows, please try the following:

Backups can only be saved to disks that are formatted using the NTFS, FAT, or UDF file systems. If the Flash Drive is not in one of these types, please try to convert it or reformat it to the supported format.

Note: please backup the files and data of the Flash Drive first.

Meanwhile, I will share the following document with you:

Back up and restore: frequently asked questions

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9eb3d150-fe33-41a0-b7f6-233d7fe4460a1033.mspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Dick J. _ Friday, April 10, 2009 5:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dick J. _ Friday, April 10, 2009 5:24 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Appreciate your response.

1. I use "backup" to describe my process of copying critical file folders from my hard drive to the flash drive using Windows Explorer "copy" command.  I make an image of my files every week, so that in the event of a catastrophy, I can recreate the "world" from scratch using my Vista Startup CD and the flash drive.

2. The flash drive shows up as an added USB Mass Storage Device on the Device Manager list in Computer Management when I initially plug it in!  When I click on "Safely Remove Hardware", and then "Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive (I:)", I get the little yellow triangle on the USB icon in the Device Manager list.  I remove the flash drive and the USB icon disappears from the Device Manager list.  The system seems to act like it knows when its there or not.  However, when I try to access the flash drive, the system tells me to insert a disk.

I've experienced the same problem with the flash drive on another computer platform running XP and a third one running Vista Home Premium.

3.  The formats on my flash drives are the ones put on by my Windows Vista, which I assume is FAT.  Before each backup, I run "Quick Format" and "Scan Disk".

I guess my primary concern is not so much trying to recover what's on this flash drive, but more the assurance of recovering data when my computer crashes.  I've gone through the recovery process about 15 months ago, so I know it works if I have a reliable flash drive backup - but this has kind of shaken my confidence in the flash drive scheme.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Richard Johnson

Friday, April 10, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Thank you for your update.

I notice that the problematic flash drive cannot work properly on other computers, either. Therefore, I suspect the device should be damaged. Regarding this, it is recommended that you contact the manufacture or vendor of the flash drive for technical support or warranty.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:02 AM