none
Windows 7 RC1 x64 - Firefox won't install

Question

• Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed the 64bit version of the RC but cannot get Firefox/Minefield to install, every time I try the application compatability application asks me to log in as Administrator (which I can't do as I never set a password for it (never asked to) and it won't allow blank passwords) so I do the install in my own account (which is an admin account) but the install fails every time.

Firefox will sort of work if I download the zip'd version but that throws up the App compat login dialog box as well, and fails to save any settings.

To be honest, the beta version worked better than this, very very disapointed so far..

Any suggestions welcomed!

TIA

Phil
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:42 AM

Answers

• Given the security of model of Vista and Windows 7, even though you are logged in as an Administrator, you are NOT given the Administrator token until you elevate.  Simply right click the setup.exe and select Run As Administrator, you will be prompted with a Yes and No dialog box.  Click the Yes button and you will be able to install Firefox.  I have Firefox and Chrome installed without any issues.

By default, the Built-In Administrator account is disabled in Vista, Server 2008, and Windows 7.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• Firefox 3.0.10 (x86) installed on my Win 7 x64 RC fresh install last night (along with all my favorite plugins) without any issue. Runs just fine.

Dave
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:32 PM
  • It also worked for me. 3.0.10 (x86) with all addons running fine.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Given the security of model of Vista and Windows 7, even though you are logged in as an Administrator, you are NOT given the Administrator token until you elevate.  Simply right click the setup.exe and select Run As Administrator, you will be prompted with a Yes and No dialog box.  Click the Yes button and you will be able to install Firefox.  I have Firefox and Chrome installed without any issues.

By default, the Built-In Administrator account is disabled in Vista, Server 2008, and Windows 7.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I just Installed Firefox 3.0.1 and It works Good. I went to Troubleshoot Compat. then to Troubleshoot Program Work fine in earlier verions of windows and selected Vista Service Pack 2.

It installed fine. and works Good.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:35 PM
  • All versions of Firefox have always worked for me on all versions of Windows that I was using at the time, including Windows 7 beta and now currently Windows 7 64-bit RC. I am using the latest release of Firefox, so the trouble must be what some of the others have mentioned here.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Awesome couldn't work out why it wouldn't install. Run as administrator! Duh.
    Thanks
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:36 PM