none
dllhost.exe *32 problem

Question

• I have been having a hard time getting some folders to open, for example if I click on the desktop and selecr personalize, it just keeps hanging and the page doesn't come up, the cursor just keeps showing busy, and if I end process of the dllhost.exe *32 it will stop but the folder still won't come up.  Also if I click on sounds, the box to change whether you want sounds or not won't come up unless I end process of this dllhost.exe *32, once ended the sounds box comes up.  What could be the problem?  I just got this laptop and was trying to install Corel Paintshop pro 2X and it wouldn't complete the install, every thing just kept hanging and freezing, so I assume this dllhost thing has something to do with that because after I uninstall what was partially installed of the corel that's when I started having problems.  Also having problems in the control panel, I can open control panel but when I go to click on the left hand side menu all I get the the pointing finger and it freezes.

I need help, thanks
    Debbie
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Debgram,

I would like to suggest you create a new user account and test the issue in Clean Boot to check the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you perform a System File Checker.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hi Debgram,

I would like to suggest you create a new user account and test the issue in Clean Boot to check the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you perform a System File Checker.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT

I already did the SFC, twice.  But I did figure it out, I went to Viper's Site to see what services were auto and manual, I made some adjustments and everythign works now.
    Debbie
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Hi Even i am facing the same issue..i tried following the things sugggested in the above comments..nothing worked out..can some one please let me know how to STOP this dllhost.exe that is killing my Computer!!!!

Please help MICROSOFT!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Use Process Explorer to determine what the instance of DLLHOST.EXE in question is running.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Hi how to use the Process Explorer to handle this situations?? please explain..i want to get rid off this issue.....Please help
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:52 AM
  • In Process Explorer, find the instance of dllhost.exe that you're concerned about, and hover the pointer over the process name for that instance.  What does the tooltip tell you?
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I had the same excact problem!!

• Go to run and type in services.msc
    • Then go to COM+ System Application, not event system.
    • Disable that service

and the problem will go away

Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:16 AM
  • turning off Data Execution Prevention on dllhost (the COM surrogate) can fix this problem for some people. This solution is detailed below.

Right click on Computer, and choose Properties

Click on Advanced System Settings, and then under Advanced, click Settings

Select the “Data Execution Protection” tab, and then click “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select�?

Click on the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe as shown

Click Open, and then OK.

Here’s what you should see…

Now you can browse video folders without problems!

Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:30 AM
  • You should not do both methods. It is better to detect the cause of the crash. Download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_dllhost.exe.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the DLLHost.exe (COM surrogate) crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Video Codec is the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:27 PM
  • THIS COMMENT IS THE SULTION
    Friday, September 27, 2013 12:33 AM