none
Right click copy from shell RRS feed

• Question

• Similar to this article,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/022b57db-02d7-4446-8542-2dc4052f4a9b/windows-context-menu-item-rename-file-with-random-hash-pipeline-expression-error?forum=winserverpowershell

I want to create a right click Backup File shell option.

I have this thus far,

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "Get-ChildItem %1 | ForEach-Object {Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryName + '\' + $_.Basename + '_' + @(Get-Date -uformat "%Y%m%d-%H%M%S") + $_.Extension)}"

I can run the command in raw Powershell console by changing the %1 to a hard path\file and it works fine.

When I add it to a shell command in HKCR\*\shell\<my command> Powershell complains that my path is wrong on the copy-item

This is the error I get:

Copy-Item : The given path's format is not supported.
    At line:1 char:68
    + ... ach-Object {Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryNam ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Copy-Item], NotSupportedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NotSupportedException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand

An example of what it does is copies a file named backup.reg and calls it backup_20190418-162708.reg

Convenient if you want to make a copy of a file and add the date and time to the copy.

Does the shell component get upset with the use of %, ", $ or @?

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Answers

• System didn't like the % in the date format, had to double them.

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "$a='%1';$a;Get-ChildItem $a|ForEach-Object{Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryName + '\' + $_.Basename + '_' + (Get-Date -uformat '%%Y%%m%%d-%%H%%M%%S') + $_.Extension)}"

• Marked as answer by jbruns Saturday, April 20, 2019 5:18 PM
    • Edited by jbruns Saturday, April 20, 2019 5:21 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 5:01 PM

All replies

• "%1" is not valid in a PowerShell script. That only works as a command line argument.

Replace %1 with $args[0]

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 19, 2019 3:08 AM
  • You can also try it like this:

powershell.exe -NoExit -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "$a='%1';Get-ChildItem $a|ForEach-Object{Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryName + '\' + $_.Basename + '_' + (Get-Date -uformat '%Y%m%d-%H%M%S') + $_.Extension)}"

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 19, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Tried your answer and got:

Copy-Item : The given path's format is not supported.
    At line:1 char:77
    + ... ach-Object {Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryNam ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Copy-Item], NotSupportedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NotSupportedException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "$a='%1'; Get-ChildItem $a | ForEach-Object {Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryName + '\' + $_.Basename + '_' + @(Get-Date -uformat "%Y%m%d-%H%M%S") + $_.Extension)}"

Just so you all know, if I use
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "Get-ChildItem %1 | Fl *"
    that works fine, so I probably don't need to assign $a to %1

• Edited by jbruns Friday, April 19, 2019 1:02 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 12:34 PM
  • You need to fix it.  The code you posted was badly damaged and is missing a space.  I fixed mine.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, April 19, 2019 1:15 PM
  • System didn't like the % in the date format, had to double them.

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -NonInteractive -Command "$a='%1';$a;Get-ChildItem $a|ForEach-Object{Copy-Item -path $_.fullname -destination ($_.DirectoryName + '\' + $_.Basename + '_' + (Get-Date -uformat '%%Y%%m%%d-%%H%%M%%S') + $_.Extension)}"

• Marked as answer by jbruns Saturday, April 20, 2019 5:18 PM
    • Edited by jbruns Saturday, April 20, 2019 5:21 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 5:01 PM