none
Cisco VPN client works on Windows 7 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Any1 tried installing Cisco VPN client on BETA version of Windows 7?
    Does it work? I mean the same version which was available for Windows Vista not the XP version.
    I can't upgrade otherwise because I need to connect to my office from home.
    If it works i Would love to upgrade to BETA version. I shall downlaod it using my TechNet subscription.

Regards,
    Amey Abhyankar.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:25 AM

Answers

• I have tried many--many different ways to get the Cisco VPN client install on Windows 7--all resulting in BSOD (ndis.sys).  I have found the following procedure has worked 100% of the time on multiple hardware platforms (including VMware):

1.  Install Cisco DNEupdate.
    2.  Reboot
    3.  Take ownership and delete ndis.sys (in c:\windows\system32\drivers).
    4.  Take ownership and delete ndis.sys.mui (in c:\windows\system32\drivers\en-us).
    5.  Install Cisco VPN Client 5.0.04.0300.
    6.  Reboot
    7.  Windows 7 will repair itself (should take a few seconds) and automatically reboot.
    8.  Cisco VPN Client should work without any other tweaks.

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by JaysonGo Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:48 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Here is how I got the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.4.0300 to not BSOD on reboot on Windows 7 x86.  On a clean install I constantly got a BSOD on first reboot with NDIS.SYS as the cause. 

1. Install VPN Client 5.0.4.0300
    2. Install the Citrix DNE update (google)
    3. Take ownership of c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
    4. Delete ndis.sys
    5. reboot; the system will try to fix itself, leave all defaults
    6. reboot again and login
    7. restart the cisco vpn client service
    8. connect as usual

After this I can connect to the VPN client normally without any issues.  Please let me know if this works for you.

Monday, January 12, 2009 9:51 PM

All replies

• I use version 5.0.04.0300 of Cisco VPN client and it doesn't work. Sad but true. I'm looking for solution.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:06 AM
  • have you tried clicking the "run as administrator" or the "vista compadability mode"  please contact Cisco Support (if you have a Cisco Support Agreement) and get a Case/Bug#   

I understand Win7 is Beta2 code but I don't want this to slip through the cracks.. and find it still doesn't Work come RTM (Remember Win7 is "feature complete") meaning the only thing left to do is fix the bugs, complete the online help  etc..  once "code complete" comes you will probably see 2-3months of doing nothing but Stress Testing "letting it Bake" and fixing only Sev1/Pri 1 bugs.. before RTM..

in other words NOW is the time to report ANY bugs you want fixed because you'll start hearing "Postponed to Win7 SP1" at some point in the future...  (in fact it isn't uncommon in a Dev cycle for one group to start working on SP1 .. while the rest of the Dev team works to RTM a product -so I've been told)

kevin forsythe
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:48 AM
  • What error it throws? Can you post snapshot of it?
    May be we can solve it here only.

Tommorow I am gonna try Windows 7 in VMware. Hopefuly it'll get installed.

Regards,
    Amey Abhyankar.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I managed to install Win7 in VMware environment without any problems.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:49 PM
    Answerer
  • On VMWARE Workstation 6.5 no problem at all install and use Win7
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:54 PM
  • I have installed it and it works sorta. I can connect to my servers RDP, but outlook dosent work
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:33 PM
  • That's strange because Cisco VPN (32-bit) 5.0.04.0300-k9 has worked for me on previous builds and this build.
    http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:55 AM
    Answerer
  • I can connect to my network VPN.  I can ping FQDN my servers but it is still not connected correctly. I have to login to my mapped drives, but it will connect. Outlook also does not work. Bottom line is that I can connect and get to where I need to go but have to work around to get to it.

For the average VPN user, this would be a problem.

I am using Cisco client 5.0 to my ASA authencated to my 2003 AD.

With vista, there were no issues

I can see that  my VPN adapter is getting an IP, dns ip's and from my DHCP server.

Its would seem that it should work.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:36 PM
  •  DNS name problem solved.

There are setting in the WIndows firewall that need to be checked to allow RDP and VPN access.  Win 7 has firewall settings for the domain, home netwrok and public network. the setting will need to be adjusted for each.

Outlook still dosent work
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I tried installing 5.0.00.0340-k9 using "Run as administrator" and also in Vista compatibility mode but both times during reboot, I got a "BSOD" and had to boot using "Safe Mode" to uninstall. I hope there is a fix for this shortly because I like Windows 7 but I need VPN access for work.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:09 AM
  • installed it on VMWare and installed SecureClient and connected successfuly
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Here is how I got the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.4.0300 to not BSOD on reboot on Windows 7 x86.  On a clean install I constantly got a BSOD on first reboot with NDIS.SYS as the cause. 

4. Delete ndis.sys
    8. connect as usual

After this I can connect to the VPN client normally without any issues.  Please let me know if this works for you.

Monday, January 12, 2009 9:51 PM
  • i'm using version 5.0.01.0600. with an upgrade from Vista. Win7 boots fine, but clicking on Cisco-VPN it gives a warning the driver is not loaded. If under "uninstall or change a program" you do a repair, it then works fine with no trouble.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:07 AM
  • JerryF1 said:

i'm using version 5.0.01.0600. with an upgrade from Vista. Win7 boots fine, but clicking on Cisco-VPN it gives a warning the driver is not loaded. If under "uninstall or change a program" you do a repair, it then works fine with no trouble.

I'd recommend updating if possible. That version is well known to be buggy.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:36 AM
    Answerer
  • I was able to install it in VMWare workstation but it failed to detect virtual ethernet card.
    I used ThinkPad R61 laptop.
    AS it failed to take ethernet I am stuck totally. Cant transfer anything via LAN. I'll have to give a try by connecting USB thumb drive.

Regards,
    Amey Abhyankar.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I tried your approach using 5.0.04.0300 but the autofix did not work, instead it prompted me to restore my previously working condition.

(Actually that previous comment wasn't clear given the way threading works in this forum).

What I mean to say is I tried working around the Citrix DNE problem by applying the DNE update and removing the ndis.sys driver after installing the cisco client but before rebooting.

Where do I look to determine the reason why the boot is failing? Where does the log go when you do a system restore?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:08 PM
  • I figured it out by pressing F8 when the boot menu (to choose Windows 7 or Vista, as i'm dual-booted) and there is an option to turn off automatic rebooting in case of blue screen.  When you do that you can see the actual blue-screen error which in my case was caused by NDIS.sys.  I'm not sure what to tell you otherwise, it took me 5 or 6 restores before it worked but once it did the client works with no issues.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:09 PM
  • With 5.0.04.300 it worked. First install a fresh copy of windows 7 and before install nothing, i install cisco vpn. No more Blue Screen...

Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:16 AM
  • I was having the same driver issue with Cisco VPN Client 5.0.01.0600, on a 7 upgrade from Vista pc and a clean 7 install. I removed the client on both of them and installed Cisco's latest beta VPN client Release 5.0.05.0280 and all works perfect.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:31 PM
  • I have tried many--many different ways to get the Cisco VPN client install on Windows 7--all resulting in BSOD (ndis.sys).  I have found the following procedure has worked 100% of the time on multiple hardware platforms (including VMware):

2.  Reboot
    4.  Take ownership and delete ndis.sys.mui (in c:\windows\system32\drivers\en-us).
    6.  Reboot
    7.  Windows 7 will repair itself (should take a few seconds) and automatically reboot.

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by JaysonGo Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:48 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Amey, I had the same problem with VMWare 5.5.6 and discovered you need to add this line in your .vmx configuration file:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

That should do it.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:07 AM
  • is anyone able to please provide the 5.0.05.0280 version, please!!!  i have opened up a ticket with my company but until then, I can't find where to download it from except for cisco's website where my login has no access to download it with :(  the only other version (5.0.04.300) i found had a trojan in it and now i'm resolved to downloading 5.0.02.0090... which im hoping will work...

thanks!

Please vote for my MIX 10K Challenge entry called VisualSort.
    Direct Link: http://2009.visitmix.com/MIXtify/TenKDisplay.aspx?SubmissionID=0002
    • Edited by JaysonGo Friday, January 16, 2009 8:55 PM removed email address.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:08 PM
  • JaysonGo said:

is anyone able to please provide the 5.0.05.0280 version, please!!!  i have opened up a ticket with my company but until then, I can't find where to download it from except for cisco's website where my login has no access to download it with :(  the only other version (5.0.04.300) i found had a trojan in it and now i'm resolved to downloading 5.0.02.0090... which im hoping will work...

thanks!

Direct Link: http://2009.visitmix.com/MIXtify/TenKDisplay.aspx?SubmissionID=0002

Disregard all this.  I was able to find the appropriate version.

More importantly, I want to add that JoshP's method works!  I didn't use Cisco's DNE update but I used Citrix's... no blue screen and I was able to run Cisco VPN Client and I loaded all my profiles.  My token is at home, so I'll have to check when I get home from work... but I'm pretty sure everything will work.

Thanks Josh, I'm marking your post as the correct answer.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
  •  Hi

I am not getting a BSOD using version 5.0.04.0300, but another error problem:  connection terminated locally; Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter

It appears that I am connecting to work, as the client takes my user id and token number, but get the above error with the statement . I have tried doing some searching and found some Vista type of answers, but I don't even see a virtual adapter that may be disabled as these documents state.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Jay

Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:35 PM
  • have you tried the full steps as joshp outlined?  i was able to connect to work without any problems last night.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:41 PM
  • HI  Jason
    Thank you for the quick follow up. I did give that a go, but no joy still.
    Jay
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:58 PM
  • I tried installing version 5.0.04.300 on a ThinkPad X60 using a clean install of Windows 7 Beta - it 'bluescreened' each time I tried.  I had an earlier version and tried it as well, same thing.  Each time I did this I had to reinstall Windows 7, it couldn't "roll back" to an earlier state.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Hi Jason

Well..... I tried Josh's steps again and what is the most common problem with computers?? er uh....between the user and the keyboard right? :-)
    Well this was no different. I was rebooting after deleting the files, but before installing the VPN client. Silly me.... follow the steps as outlined and VOILA!!! Success

Thank you very much Jason and Josh!! Your time is very much appreciated!!
    Jay
    • Proposed as answer by meinein Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:02 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Client Version 5.0.01.0600 (made for Windows Vista) causes fatal memory dump after install and then reboot.

exp
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:09 PM
  • DO you have a link to the Beta VPN?
    exp
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:34 PM
  •  VPN client release 5.0.05.0280 seems to fix this problem. Unfortunately, you have to have a current SmartNet contract and/or CCO login to grab the beta bits. I can't legally give it out.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:49 PM
    Answerer
  • CARULEZ said:

On VMWARE Workstation 6.5 no problem at all install and use Win7

How did u get it to install? I keep getting windows installer errors?

zero061099
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Thanks Josh.....

It worked
    exp

JoshP said:

I have tried many--many different ways to get the Cisco VPN client install on Windows 7--all resulting in BSOD (ndis.sys).  I have found the following procedure has worked 100% of the time on multiple hardware platforms (including VMware):

2.  Reboot
    6.  Reboot

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Explorlander Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:40 PM Answered
    • Proposed as answer by Explorlander Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:41 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Just an update...  I have a SmartNet contract and have downloaded the latest Cisco (beta) VPN Client 5.0.05.280 from Cisco.com.  From initial tested it appears the 5.0.05.280 client does NOT resolve the BSOD issue.  In fact, it appears that it suffers the same ndis.sys problem as the 5.0.04.0300 client.  However, the same workaround I posted earlier does work with the 5.0.05.280 client--in case you want to run the latest version.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:39 AM
  • htwnrver said:

Here is how I got the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.4.0300 to not BSOD on reboot on Windows 7 x86.  On a clean install I constantly got a BSOD on first reboot with NDIS.SYS as the cause. 

4. Delete ndis.sys
    8. connect as usual

Hurrey! It worked!!!

You are the man!!!!

Cheer's,
    Regards,
    Amey.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:56 AM
  • This is how I made it working

Procedure described above did not work in my case
    I was unable to delete ndis.sys file even after taking ownership (I guess it has to do with the fact that windows 7 installation was the upgrade and not clean-install)
    The best i could do is to boot using last good config (after BS) then repair vpn client and use it until next reboot (after which BS happens again)

What helped in my case is  beta release of Cisco vpn client 5.0.05.0280 which is available from Cisco site for download

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Shone69,

Did you give yourself "Full Control" of the file after taking ownership?

-Randall
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:49 PM
  • To Shone69, I agree with Randall.  Ensure that you also gave yourself Full Permission to the file(s) as I had to do the same thing.  Ownership alone did not allow me to delete the file.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Going from JoshP's post, I was able to get 5.0.04.0300 up and running by following the steps below.

1. Take ownership, grant full control, and delete ndis.sys (C:\Windows\system32\drivers)
    2. Take ownership, grant full control, and delete ndis.sys.mui (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\en-us)
    3. Instal Cisco VPN Client 5.0.04.0300
    4. Reboot (Win 7 repairs itself and reboots)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I do not know what is wrong (I am no windows expert) I cannot take full control either (check box appears inactive for both accounts including Administrator)
    In any case ,thanks, .280 works fine in my case  and I think I spent enough time on this
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:58 PM
  • As matter of fact the date of creation of ndis.sys is the date when I installed SP1 for windows Vista
    ,which means there was no  driver update  (at least this one) or anything related  during the upgrade to Windows 7
    If I look at the permissions even SYSTEM account  has only R&E rights
    The only account with full rights is Trusted Installer and I cannot do anything to changed it.

As I said I am no Windows expert but I think something is wrong here
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Thanks Josh however it didnt work for me.

I successfully installed the DNEupdate and rebooted.

I took ownership and deleted ndis.sys (in c:\windows\system32\drivers).

The ndis.sys.mui (in c:\windows\system32\drivers\en-us) does not exist on my system which is configured for English Australian (Im Australian) so was unable to complete this process. This file does not exist on my system.

5.  Installed Cisco VPN Client 5.0.04.0300.
    6.  Rebooted
    8.  Cisco VPN Client still having the same problem.

Each time I reboot the Cisco Systems VPN adapter is not enabled under Device Manager. I can successfully enable the device yet still doesnt work. If I reboot the device is disabled again.

Please help...
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Perhaps a dumb question but you didn't happen to look in c:\windows\system32\drivers\en-au did you? If it exists there you'll need to delete it.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:37 PM
  • I wish there was a folder called en-au with the file in it but sadly there is not. I searched my entire system for the file and it doesnt appear anywhere. Cheers
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:05 AM
  • I have verified that Cisco VPN client 5.0.4.300 works properly in 7022 x86. 
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:38 PM
  • I seem to have a whole new set of problems. I have a Cisco VPN client which stopped working with Windows 7 and I really need it to work otherwise I will have to go back to Vista.

I tried all of the steps mentioned above, the only thing is that I tried it without uninstalling the VPN client beforehand (which did not work, the computer was not able to 'repair' itself), because for some reason I get error 1721 which means I cannot uninstall programs.

I tried to look up somewhere what to do about this where I found that one must 'reregister the installer service' by starting in safe mode and running the cmd.exe (although that was for Windows XP). But for some reason I cannot run cmd.exe is safe mode nor in normal mode (I get 'application failed to initialize properly' (0xc0000142) ) So as you can see each time I try to solve one thing, I find that something else is wrong. 

Can you please let me know if you can help me with all this, otherwise I will have to end it all!

Thanks alot for your help.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:48 AM
  • what version of the vpn client do you have installed?  did you do a vista->win7 upgrade or is it a clean install?

it definitely sounds like a whole slew of issues... but your best bet to get the vpn client installed and working is to follow EVERY step outlined.  that's how i got mine to work and still works great.  i definitely understand your dilemna... i was on the verge of un-installing win7 if i couldn't get the vpn client working.

btw, are you religiously doing ms updates?

Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:44 PM
  • The version I have is Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.03.0530. I made an upgrade from Vista, and it does updates automatically regularly throughout the day.

I followed every step for what to do without uninstalling, but the computer did not automatically fix the absence of the nys file, so I had a heartattack and had to do a system restore to get it back :)  So I went to uninstall first, the VPN client, but I cannot do it. Following all instructions carefully.

Thanks again
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I installed the 5.0.05.0290 version on Windows 7 RC and it worked just fine.  No deleting NDIS file or anything like that.  I did upgrade my machine from Vista to Windows 7 RC which already had a prior version of VPN client (5.0.03 I believe).  Thought everyone would like to know!
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Update regarding the RC:
    I installed the RC last week and today... I was about to go through the same steps to install this using the "beta steps" that we have above... so I:
    1. Installed the Citrix DNE update
    2. Rebooted
    3. Installed Cisco VPN Client v5.0.04.0300
    4. Rebooted

Everything is working just fine and I'm actually VPN'ed in right now.  I'm not entirely sure if Step 1 is even required based on Jaryd's post right above this one.  But at least, there's no mess of taking ownership of those files.

Jayson

Monday, May 18, 2009 2:35 PM
  • To confirm Jaryd J's post I installed v5.0.05.0290 on Windows 7 RC x86 (clean install) and it installed fine with no BSOD (previously happened to me in W7 beta).

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I know this thread is old, I just installed cisco VPN client 5.0.04 on my RC copy of win 7. Is there a way to have the client load up before logging into windows? I never used it for Vista but I know with XP you had that functionality to establish the connection to log on to your network, then log onto your network profile.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Were can I download th 5.0.04.0300 client?
    Thanks
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:46 AM
  • MidnightV69, if you need the client, I can provide you the location of where to get it from.  I will have to email you the location as it may be a TOS violation to do it on here.  Please provide a way to contact you.

Jayson

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hi all,
    I have followed the steps below on my Windows 7 RC

2.  Reboot
    6.  Reboot

But I get an error which says

" Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
      Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.
      Connection terminated on: Aug 10..... Duration:...."

Please Help
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:42 PM
  • @sred89
    Your error is not related to this specific topic.  You're not getting a BSOD, so it appears you have performed the steps correctly.

I did a search for "vpn reason 412" and got back plenty of hits that should be able to help you.  It sounds like the VPN server may be terminating your connection.  I would suggest researching the hits from that search to figure out your specific problem.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Hey,

I got a VPN client to work on Vista 64 bit.

It is not Cisco's but it worked rather well.

Check it out.
    http://rhyous.com/2009/10/29/windows-7-64-bit-vpn-client-shrewsoft/
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Cisco have released Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.06 which has official support for Windows 7 32-bit.

Release Notes:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client5006/release/notes/vpnclient5006.html

Advisories for Windows 7 and Vista Users 
    Windows 7 and Vista users should be aware of the following characteristics of the AnyConnect Client. 

Connection Time 
    Using the VPN Client to connect a PC running Windows 7 or Vista system might take longer than one running Windows XP. The actual time it takes to connect might vary from customer to customer. 

Unsupported Features 
    The Cisco VPN Client for Windows 7 and Vista does not support the following features: 
    •Upgrade from Windows XP (clean OS installation required). 
    •Start Before Logon 
    •Integrated Firewall 
    •InstallShield 
    •64-bit support 

For x-64 support, customers should explore with their Cisco sales representative the use of the next-generation Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. 

•AutoUpdate 
    •Translated Online Help - Provided only in English 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note Cisco VPN client now supports smart card authentication on both Windows Vista and XP. Due to a lack of availability of Windows 7 smart card drivers at release time, Cisco has not yet performed validation testing of smart cards on Windows 7. 

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Windows 7 will be secure VPN tunnel which will also install I think. As already Xp base. I made tunneling and virtualization is a problem when I have not encountered. However, emulation problem, or if you encounter problems with my Can help. Regards.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:59 PM
  • First, you do VPN Tunneling Program (Cisco, you'll load ....) ACX. Later you check the system files and system re-start. Etc control can do. Virtual Network applications that can control a program I recommend you to use. Goodbye's program and you might work:)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:02 PM
  • The only issue i have with the Cisco VPN client i use is that it wont run on 64bit platforms, so wont work on ym Windows 7 pro 64bit box - to get round this i have just resorted to using it within XP mode - works fine and keeps my VPN and intenet connection completely seperate.  Cheers.
    • Proposed as answer by Markoloto Friday, December 4, 2009 1:21 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Hey Mike,

Check out Shrew Soft's VPN solution which works on 64-bit Windows 7.

Installation is pretty straight forward and configuration is a breeze with the ability to import .pcf files. If you have any issues check out this blog post or Shrew Soft's Support page.

-Randall
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Cheers for that, have looked at that bit of SW previousley actually - good bit of software really, doesnt do exactly what i need to though...think i'll stick with my VPN XP Mode - it does the job! :)  Cheers.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:17 PM
  • I would first like to thank everyone in this article.  Very good info on the evolution of this problem.

I have 2 laptops that I installed Windows 7 on and figured this info would be helpful.

First laptop - I did get Windows 7 7100 build to work with the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.06.0110.  Works just fine.  Same instructions that JoshP gave above.

Second laptop - When Windows 7 came out, I installed Windows 7 Enteprise 32 bit on this second laptop, and did the exact same thing as listed above in this article (first entry by JoshP), however this did not work.  I would never receive an error.  The vpn client would just not connect.  It would eventually time out, but never actually give an error message.  I uninstalled the vpn client, and reinstalled with Vista SP2 compatibility mode, and also changed the UDP transport option to TCP.  Still no joy.  Any suggestions?

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:02 PM
  • With RTM Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise I just installed it and it worked fine. I didn't have to do the install of DNE or the other steps as per JoshP.

Also have you made sure the firewall is allowing the traffic through? Have you enabled or upped the logging on the VPN client?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Hi friends,

any body plz provide me "cisco vpn client 5.0.x.x" software. i am not able to find this in google.

Regards,
    Sekhar
    umasekharkota@hotmail.com

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi friends,

any body plz provide me "cisco vpn client 5.0.x.x" software. i am not able to find this in google.

Regards,
    Sekhar
    umasekharkota@hotmail.com

You have to downloat the VPN client from Cisco directly.  This requires registration:

VPN Client area of the Software Center

Furthermore, version "vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.06.0160-k9" works with Win7.  x86 only.
    Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, February 1, 2010 5:57 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:47 PM

2.  Reboot
    6.  Reboot

Hope this helps.

Hello Josh,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium OS and trying to install VPN Client 5.0.5, following the steps as mentioned by you. But every time i am getting the 1721 error while installing VPN Client (i.e. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package). Please suggest what to do to resolve this issue. Many thanks in advance for your expert comments.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:42 AM
  • I found that this only works for ethernet or wifi connection but if I using USB mobile broadband adapter or built-in moble broadband then the VPN can sucessfully login but all traffic will deny can't pass through VPN tunnel....

any idea how to solve it?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I put together this little write up that might explain the problem:

http://www.customsoftwareframeworks.com/blog/fix-vpn-problems-cellular-win7

The bottom line is that I have found the the cisco IM driver for IPSEC does not bind to MB drivers. I know of another VPN that can talk to cisco endpoints and that driver can bind to the MB stack and works on x86 and x64 with WHQL signed drivers.

Let me know if this helps you?

Thanks

Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:26 PM
  • In Release-notes from cisco-vpn-client 5.0.7 under networking adapters you´ll find that no wwan-adapters (mobile-broadband-adapters) are supported by 5.0.7 under w7.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Right, I saw that in the release notes, but it is not exactly worded correctly. They will work as long as their VPN driver can bind to the network stack the WWAN adapter is using. Their driver will not bind to the Mobile Broadband stack, but if you use RAS to make the connection then they will work or if the WWAN adapter another type NDIS driver they will work.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Is the Start Before Logon still an unsupported feature in Windows 7 with the Cisco VPN Client
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I was battling a similar problem (Cisco VPN authenticates but  does not pass traffic to WWAN) and after much digging we recieved this as the solution from Cisco.

http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_1680845.asp

check under “Other DNE Problems”

The above should be performed after upgrading the network  adapters from vendor’s website.

This solved our peoblem and now we are able to use the Cisco VPN client with a Verizon Broadband Card and access network resources through the tunnel.

Let me know if this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Peter True Friday, May 13, 2011 10:45 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I know this is an old question and has been marked answered but I hit it again recently and none of the listed items resolved my issue. 

Here's the error:

I tried all of the listed resolutions without success.  I looked in Device Manager and found there were three instances of the Cisco Virtual Adapter.  I removed two of the instances and the connection worked almost immediately and on the first try.  I don't know where the other two virtual adapters came from but must assume they were not removed cleaning when I upgraded my client.  I hope this helps anyone who runs into the same problem.  FYI, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit running Cisco client v5.0.06.0160.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:34 PM