Remove IE from taskbar and start menu GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I configured a GPO on a Windows server and it's working fine. But on the GPO I cant seem to have the IE icon removed\hidden from the taskbar and the startmenu. I enabled the GPO to "Remove pinned programs from the taskbar" which should have solved that problem, but it hasnt. Here's the GPO with the restrictions I have. How can I remove the IE icons from the taskbar and start menu? Thanks.

Friday, June 15, 2012 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you want to hide the IE shortcut on the Start Menu and the taskbar, we could try to locate the following path in GPMC: User Configuration - Policies - Administrative TemplatesDesktop - Hide Internet Explorer icon on desktop to enable the setting. Please understand that this setting does not prevent the user from starting Internet Explorer by using other methods.

For details, please refer to the article below.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/hide-the-internet-explorer-icon-on-the-desktop/

Regards,

Andy

• Edited by Andy Qi Monday, June 18, 2012 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, June 22, 2012 10:01 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you want to hide the IE shortcut on the Start Menu and the taskbar, we could try to locate the following path in GPMC: User Configuration - Policies - Administrative TemplatesDesktop - Hide Internet Explorer icon on desktop to enable the setting. Please understand that this setting does not prevent the user from starting Internet Explorer by using other methods.

For details, please refer to the article below.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/hide-the-internet-explorer-icon-on-the-desktop/

Regards,

Andy

• Edited by Andy Qi Monday, June 18, 2012 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, June 22, 2012 10:01 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 9:58 AM
  • badlands - I know this is an old post, but did the suggested setting work for you?

I'm testing it here today and it doesn't seem to have gotten rid of IE from the toolbar, but it has gone from the start menu.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:26 PM