none
Missing columns in detailed printer view RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

today we noticed that we can't see the columns "Comments" and "Location" in the detailed printer view (Printers & Devices) anymore like in XP or Vista

That was a very useful function, so our employees saw at a glance where a printer is located. Due to the long list of printers we have, our printers are named and we set this name in the "Comments" field of the printer settings (which is often much easier than keeping real printer network names in mind).

We are not interested how a printer is categorized or classified, but we want to be able to show the Location and the Comments in the detailed printer view.

How can this be done?

• Changed type Linda Yan Monday, May 3, 2010 6:04 AM feedback
    Friday, April 30, 2010 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems these two columns are removed in Windows 7. I will report your feedback to the related group. We are striving to capture any and all product issues/product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet our customers' needs. This is exactly why feedback such as yours is always valued.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Monday, May 3, 2010 6:02 AM
  • <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

This is a flaw in windows 7, we are using windows 7 professional 32 bit & each user as at least 5 printers setup on there pc’s with standard shared names, & with the location & comment menu headings not being available this is massively complicating the windows experience & everyone has trouble finding the required printer.

This should be very easy to implement via an update, PLEASE release a windows update now & not via a service pack which will take to long to release.

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

While you are looking at this can you also PLEASE reinstated filmstrip view when looking at pictures in explorer, this was removed in Vista & everyone was hoping it would be reinstated in Windows 7, but it has not.

Friday, May 21, 2010 8:51 AM
  • YES MS. Please deliver an update to show both columns. I dislike it too!

Or is there a fix/workaround available?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:28 PM
  • You cannot change the columns but you can point to a diiferent folder

Right click on a blank area of your desktop
    Select NEW | Shortcut
    In the Browse Window paste: C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
    Click Next
    Enter: Printers
    Click Finish

Now you'll have a shortcut folder with "Just" Printers which you can display the comments and locations in a detail column window.

You can drag it into the Taskbar but it still uses the FOLDER icon

Also you can drag it to and pin it to the Start menu on the left side only

Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:16 AM
  • C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

Cool!

lg
    Marcello

Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:41 AM
  • Why on earth would they do this? Ugh. I have had more WTF moments with Microsoft than any other company.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:04 PM
  • MDPME:  Awesome and elegant solution.  Many thanks!
    Friday, October 4, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Who is the rocket scientist who decided to remove this valuable information. A shell workaround is crap and we won't do it at all.

David Hegner

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:37 PM
  • You made my day.  MS and their design decisions never cease to astound me.  We loose more and more useful information with each new OS version.  I guess we can blame the "tablet generation".
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Works in Win 10 too!
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:59 PM