RODC not able to join computer to domain. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2008 R2 environment and I deployed a RODC in a remote office.

The subnet that the computers are in can't contact the HQ DC only the RODC. The RODC can connect to HQ DC. 
    when I do nslookup on my domain I can only see my HQ DC not the RODC. I've already added the site and the subnet for the Branch offices on active directory site and services. 

I was wondering if there is anything I have to do on the subnet to make this work? 

thanks, 

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Bump. Please help. 

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:26 PM
  • You cannot join a COMPUTER on to domain via RODC, you need to have access to the RWDC, you need to allow computers access through the firewall to contact the RWDC to be able to join them on domain properly.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Hello,

please see "Add computers to the perimeter network site" in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd728035(v=ws.10).aspx#add_servers_tothe_perimeter_network_site

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Meinolf - Thanks for tip it worked.

The RODC can contact a RWDC. I thought the RODC can be the buffer to add it by contacting the RWDC. It will only have issues when the WAN is down.

• Edited by gnynot Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:47 AM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:02 AM