none
/RebuildBCD error

Question

• Where to start.. I've been trying to figure this problem out for the past week, but to no avail. I feel that I've exhausted all options. The issue I'm having didn't stem from a hardware or software change; it came about after a very routine restart. Here's what happened-

1) Computer started up and brought up the BIOS screen- Nothing strange there.
    2) It's been two minutes and the BIOS screen is still up.. this has never happened before.
    3) The BIOS screen goes away, only to be replaced by a black screen with a single, blinking cursor in the top left-hand corner.
    4) The hard drive light is solid, but it doesn't sound like the hard drive is doing any heavy searching.
    5) Two hours later and I'm still stuck at a black screen. The hard drive light is off, but that's all that's changed.

I've tried removing the battery and putting it back in, but that didn't fix anything. I tried taking out the RAM modules to test if the motherboard was fried- I got an error code, so I figure the motherboard is fine. I tried using the Win7 Recovery Console, but the Startup Repair returns this error-

Root cause found:
    -----------------------
    No OS files found on disk.

Repair action: Partition table repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3bc3
    Time take = 2246 ms

Well, I know for a fact there's an OS on the disk, I can see it. Regardless, the Recovery Console doesn't agree. I've tried all methods of manual repair as well. At least, every solution I could find on these forums and every other forum on the internet. Nothing has worked. By the way, I don't know if this is important or not, but there's another strange occurrence that I can't explain- everything takes forever to start. The BIOS screen stays up too long, the Windows 7 CD takes about 10 minutes to start up, and everything else is slow.

I'm out of ideas here folks. I will provide any information you need, just ask. I'd prefer to fix this without having to reformat my HD, but that's what it's coming down to. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• It ended up being a hardware problem. I believe my SATA Controller has failed, as disabling SATA Native Support in BIOS corrected the issue.

Thanks for everybody's help!!
    • Marked as answer by tdcrawford07 Friday, October 23, 2009 10:54 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:54 PM

All replies

• Here's some more info. Whenever I first enter the Recovery Console and allow it to automatically repair the startup problems, it provides me with the following details:

---------------------------------

"The following startup option will be repaired:
    Name: {bootmgr}
    Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:
    Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
    Path: Windows Windows
    Device: Partition=C: (87055 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as: C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0003"

---------------------------------

Clicking "Repair and restart" gives me the error "Failed to save startup options."

Edit: I also ran chkdsk, but no errors were found. I also recall running another command that returned an error stating that Sector 0 was damaged or corrupted. Significant?
    • Edited by tdcrawford07 Friday, October 16, 2009 1:06 AM Added information.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Something new again. I've been tinkering with low-level disk editing and something has happened. I started up the computer with the Windows 7 DVD in the drive, and proceeded to the Recovery Console. Something was different this time though- A Windows Installation was found!! It said "Windows 7 Ultimate (Recovered)" or something like that. Anyways, I went ahead and let it repair the installation. The computer restarted and there was no blinking cursor, which was the first good news in a looong time. Alas, an error screen popped up prior to Windows starting up. I've seen the error mentioned before on the forums- 0xc000000e. I'll now try following instructions pertaining to this error, and see if I can't get this computer up and running.

Just in case I can't, here's what the error screen says-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
              Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit : I had plugged a USB drive with some diagnostic programs prior to this new progress being made, and upon removing the USB drive was taken right back to square one. It seems that only when the USB drive plugged in is Windows RE is able to identify my Windows installation. With the drive plugged in, the "Windows 7 Ultimate (Recovered)" installation is recognized, and the error changes from not being able to identify an installation, but rather to a missing or corrupted file (specifically the "winload.exe" file). When the drive is unplugged though, I will boot to a black screen with a flashing cursor and the Recovery Console is unable to find my Windows 7 installation.

Also, I tried working in the Recovery Console with the USB drive plugged in. This time, I got a different error. After letting the "Startup Repair" attempt to correct any problems with the installation, a screen pops up telling me that "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically". Upon viewing the details, I discover that the Root cause has changed-

Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 6350 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 46 ms

---------------------------

Does anybody have any input? I mean, I understand I can't expect an immediate response, but almost 100 people have viewed this and not a single person has replied. I don't understand how nobody can have any advice.. aren't there Microsoft Windows Developers floating around in this forum or something? Please, I could really use some help here.
    • Edited by tdcrawford07 Friday, October 16, 2009 3:30 AM Added information.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it looks like the cause is the damaged winload.exe. But I still suggest you run CHKDSK commands to check the hard disk for another twice to make sure it is good.

I also suggest you run the following commands in WinRE with Command Prompt.

bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:

bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:

If Windows Vista still cannot start, please also run the following commands.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Hello and thanks for the reply. I just got done running chkdsk again and everything checked out. The only error I got was "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". It found no damaged sectors or file system errors.

I've already tried everything else you listed. I tried working in bcdedit but that never worked. I've run the "bcdedit /enum all" command and checked to make sure the device, os device, and bootmgr listings are all correct, which they are. One anomoly I found was a lack of a resumeobject GUID under "Windows Boot Loader". I don't know if this is significant or not, but I do know it's different.

Also, I've tried bootrec.exe already. With the USB Drive plugged in /fixmbr, /fixboot, and /scanos all work. /RebuildBCD doesn't work though (as is implied by the thread name). When the command was first run, it returned a "Cannot find volume" error or something of the sort. When I run it now (with the USB drive plugged in) here's what happens-

"Please wait, since this may take a while

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 0
    The operation completed successfully."

/ScanOS doesn't find any installations either. The Recovery Console does find my installation though, as I mentioned earlier. Here, let me make a list of what's going on here-

Without the USB Flash Drive plugged in -
    • No commands in "bootrec" fix the problem
    • No commands in "bcdedit" fix the problem
    • The Recovery Console cannot find a Windows Installation
    • The computer boots to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner
    • The error code "0x3bc3" is provided when Windows Recovery Console attempts and Automatic Startup Repair
    • If I try to let the Recovery Console try to fix the error automatically, it gives me the error "Failed to save startup options."
    • Trying to run "bcdedit /enum all" returns the error "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found"
    • Running "bootrec /rebuildbcd" finds 1 Windows installation (located in C:\Windows) and gives me the option to install it onto the boot list. Saying "Yes" returns the error "The requested system device cannot be found."
    • Chkdsk finds no errors

With the USB Flash Drive plugged in -
    • The commands in "bootrec" still don't fix the problem, but they do return a different error- I'm told that no Windows Installations could be found.
    • Running "bcdedit /enum all" shows correct information under "Windows Boot Loader", but lacks the "resumeobject" listing.
    • No commands in "bootrec" fix the problem
    • No commands in "bcdedit" fix the problem
    • If I allow the computer to boot normally (and don't boot from CD) I've given an error rather than a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The error is -           File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
                Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
    • Chkdsk finds no errors.

So there you have it. That's what's happened so far. Thank you for your advice, but it didn't work. Really though, thank you for the reply!!
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Anybody have any advice..?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Really, nobody?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I suggest you run the following command WinRE with Command Prompt to reset your default boot entry.

BCDEDIT /DEFAULT {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

I also suggest you run the following command in to check the system files.

Sfc /scannow

If it still cannot work, you may need to run the following command to backup all the important files in WinRE and reinstall Windows 7.

XCOPY {Old file location} {New file location} /E

For example, if I want to backup the files from C:\Test\Backup to D:\Backup, I can type the following command.

XCOPY C:\Test\Backup D:\Backup /E

Note: When the "(F=file, D=directory)?)" message is received, please press “D” on the keyboard to continue the copy.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:06 AM
  • It ended up being a hardware problem. I believe my SATA Controller has failed, as disabling SATA Native Support in BIOS corrected the issue.

Thanks for everybody's help!!
    • Marked as answer by tdcrawford07 Friday, October 23, 2009 10:54 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:54 PM
  • bcdboot.exe C:\Windows C:
    • Proposed as answer by malavbhavsar Friday, July 20, 2012 10:47 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Great suggestion, Jabali. However:

I had all of the above symptoms.

In my case it was d:\windows, not c:\windows , as the installation automatically added a c: boot partition consistant of 100MB.

And I had to use the /s switch.

So eventually, it was

bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s c:

That fixed it.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Thank you so much Jabali and nl-x!  Solved my issue as well...I was about to give up.
    TW - www.movescope.com
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:42 PM
  • This solved my problem as well. Here was my problem for those who did what I did.

Previous Configuration: Windows 7/Server 08 R2 (Dual boot/Seperate Hard drives)

System failure (Win7) forced me to reinstall Windows 7. After reinstallation, dual boot option not available.

I then tried to recover Server environment by  using installation disc in repair mode --> Damaged Windows 7 boot configuration.

In restarting, I received all the same errors as shown above. From CMD, I noticed that my drive had been listed as drive D: instead of C: . Instantly, I knew this would be the solution but did not know the switch to change this.

Thanks again Jabali!

Now I have to figure out how to recover my Server environment.

• Proposed as answer by Lightfoot3b Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:19 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:08 PM
  • bcdboot.exe C:\Windows C:"

worked

Thanks Jabali. Proposed it  as answer.

• Proposed as answer by Computerflake Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:56 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 10:50 PM
  • This step did not do the fix for me, but when i added bootsect /nt60 d: (where d: is my windows7 installation drive), it was booting just fine. I have a lenovo W510. In startup I also changed ATA (from ACHI to compatibility) (no idea what that means). It seems to work. I am going to switch the ATA setting in BIOS to ACHI and see if that was the fix or the bootsect command was the fix. 

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences. saved me a lot of time. 

Sunday, January 06, 2013 7:10 PM
  • This was 100% the solution for me (bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s c:)  Thank you everyone involved!
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:19 AM
  • This step did not do the fix for me, but when i added bootsect /nt60 d: (where d: is my windows7 installation drive), it was booting just fine. I have a lenovo W510. In startup I also changed ATA (from ACHI to compatibility) (no idea what that means). It seems to work. I am going to switch the ATA setting in BIOS to ACHI and see if that was the fix or the bootsect command was the fix. 

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences. saved me a lot of time. 

This did it for me. "bootsect /nt60 d:"  /boot was on c: but my windows was in d: while in RE. Thank you!
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Thank you so much FXTRunner!  "bootsect /nt60 d:"  is the only thing that worked for me!  I looked at several hundred posts but could not find any root cause of this issue let alone any fix.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Thank you, Jabali. This solved my problem on windows 8.1. I just had to figure out the pre-boot mapping of drive letters and replace the arguments accordingly.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Gold, fixed my problem after trying so many other steps.  This should be near the top of the thread...
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:04 AM
  • I can't believe how long it took to find this answer!  Had a classmate remove Linux partitions from his laptop without setting up the Windows bootloader first.  Since he had a ton of schoolwork on there, reinstall was not an option.  This command sorted it immediately.  I assume the bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot would still be required first in this case.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:58 AM
  • This little one liner solved my issue straight up... after 3 hours of trying to solve it using the BCDEDIT command... I would buy you a drink for posting this!
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:04 PM
  • Thanks for support. you had done great work.
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Jack_D, how did you know this would work? what does that command do? I'm having this same issue and my windows installation is on e:

I used chkdsk and scanos. Everything is there so I don't think there is a problem with the drive. It is just not where I expected it to be. 

Honestly, I know just enough about cmd to be dangerous and don't want to make anything worse if that is even possible. 

What will happen if I use that code and change "d:" to "e:" for my case?

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:52 AM