none
Application Error - The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

Question

• Hi Guys this is my first post so hope someone can help.

I have an old application Creatacard Gold which my wife uses all the time and works fine from Windows 98SE, through XP right up to Vista with SP2 on a variety of PC's that I have built over the years. It doesn't need to use any compatability mode to run on these systems.

I installed it OK on my new PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. This is a new built PC using an Asus P5Q-EM mobo,E5300 CPU and 4GB of Kingston RAM, that has not had any other Windows version installed. Other Apps loaded to date all work fine so I don't suspect the RAM. When trying to run the Creatacard program in Windows 7 it reports "Application Error - The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application". I have tried setting the compatabilty modes to XP SP2 and SP3 as well as Vista. Also tried running as Administrator in these modes but no success with same error message. There is no support from the authors as it is 10 years old. Any help appreciated.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi pm101,

I agree with you that the program will not run on Win7 x64. Our tests show this. As you say, on Win7 x86 there is no problem. I guess this is because there are 16-bit components contained in the application. These will not run on x64, as this article mentions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458
    Although only XP/2003 are mentioned, this also goes for other x64 editions of our OSs.

I regret we could not get it working, but I'm sure you will figure it out! :)

Kind regards,

\Rob

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• This is not only happening with a 10 year old product.  It is happening to newer products such as my Autodesk Design Review 2010.  I believe (surely I would have tested) it was working and then it stop for some reason.  I just set up this Windows 7 machine so I cannot tell you what I've installed (or uninstalled).  My guess at the moment is that some redistributable package is not available.  Although, Autodesk should provide it in their installation.  I'm running 64 bit.

Friday, October 23, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried before installation to click right on setup.exe->compatibility mode and setup for all users Vista for instant then run as Administrator with the same click right?
    You can also try running the application the way is installed now but with the CD installation source in.
    Regards
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Yes - tried all your suggestions.  Even took ownership of the directory it was installed in.  My application prompts "The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)" whereas in pm101's reference, it is 0xc0000005.
    Thanks.

Friday, October 23, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Yes - tried all your suggestions.  Even took ownership of the directory it was installed in.  My application prompts "The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)" whereas in pm101's reference, it is 0xc0000005.
    Thanks.

Can also try troubleshooting the application from control panel, the error should be different but gives you the option to try start the application in compatibility mode for previous versions of Windows with the administrative rights untill the application starts corectly.  
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Hi IV Thanks for your replies to RTitan who has a similar problem. FYI - I am running 32 bit to maintain compatibilty as much as possible with older Apps.
    I have now tried testing my RAM with MEMTEST86+ for 8 hours with no failure.
    I have tried launching from Control Panel using Windows to select the best mode, (XP SP2 was recommended). After clicking "Start the Program" and replying Yes to the UAC the App does not do anything and seems to terminate with no error message. Also tried running as Admin.
    I have tried uninstall/re-install but same 0xc0000005 error.
    Just in case there was someting about the display resolution I tried various settings, but still the same error.
    I found the error in the windows logs and it identifies the faulting module as ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385 time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb
    I have also turned off DEP for this one App but still have the error. Tried all combos of no DEP, XP SP2 compatibility setting etc same problem.
    Thanks
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi IV Thanks for your replies to RTitan who has a similar problem. FYI - I am running 32 bit to maintain compatibilty as much as possible with older Apps.
    I have now tried testing my RAM with MEMTEST86+ for 8 hours with no failure.
    I have tried launching from Control Panel using Windows to select the best mode, (XP SP2 was recommended). After clicking "Start the Program" and replying Yes to the UAC the App does not do anything and seems to terminate with no error message. Also tried running as Admin.
    I have tried uninstall/re-install but same 0xc0000005 error.
    Just in case there was someting about the display resolution I tried various settings, but still the same error.
    I found the error in the windows logs and it identifies the faulting module as ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385 time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb
    I have also turned off DEP for this one App but still have the error. Tried all combos of no DEP, XP SP2 compatibility setting etc same problem.
    Thanks

I guess there is something you can do about first of all uninstall the application then run CC cleaner or if you know the registries can remove them manually then install the application in compatibility mode Windows XP SP2 and run as Adm and check the box disable desktop composition and display scaling.
    The .dll that you mentioned belongs to Windows 7 and can simply solve the issue running sfc /scannow, but I guess the error message shows only a conflict not a faulty module.
    You can also give it a try when launching from control panel reporting as visual problems (you never seen so far the application launched::)) launching the application.The application probably when runs (run in the past on any other version of Windows) start in 256 colors window
    Regards
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Most of the old applications run better in compatibility mode set for the OS were designed for not for the most recent in many cases-it's a personal and experienced opinion and generated so far no errors in the same version of Win that my comp runs now.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I ran CC Cleaner, installed Creatacard in XP SP2 compatibilty mode and also ran it in XP SP2 compatibility mode, but same old error. Tried disabling all the settings on the Compatibility tab eg 256 colors, visual themes etc and ran as Admin. Nothing seems to be able to get it running. while I dont want to spend any more on the OS, do you think the Ultimate version that has the XP mode built in would work? My only other option is to revert to XP Home again because the wife cant live without this App!!! Cheers

Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I ran CC Cleaner, installed Creatacard in XP SP2 compatibilty mode and also ran it in XP SP2 compatibility mode, but same old error. Tried disabling all the settings on the Compatibility tab eg 256 colors, visual themes etc and ran as Admin. Nothing seems to be able to get it running. while I dont want to spend any more on the OS, do you think the Ultimate version that has the XP mode built in would work? My only other option is to revert to XP Home again because the wife cant live without this App!!! Cheers

Let me know the version of Creatacard and I'll let you know if it works or not, but I don't think would make any difference.I personally would advice you upgrade the version of Creatacard would be a much more better present for your wife:).  
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:42 AM
  • The version I have is Creatacard Gold 3 which according to the various posts I have read in other forums is THE best version. I would be very willing to buy one of the later versions, but all other versions since then have been problematic and lacking in ease of use according to posts on various forums. The latest version (I think 8) now gets a lot of its graphics online so can also be slow to respond. If all else fails I will maybe try one of the newer versions, but it will be a last resort.

FYI according to other forums the installer (setup.exe) is written in 16 bit code so will not work on 64 bit versions of Vista or presumably W7. However it is obviously ok on the 32 bit OS's, including W7 as it installs ok. The actual program file that runs Creatacard is "CACard32.exe"

Anyway I much appreciate your offer to test it out. Not sure how you will find the program so let me know if I can help. Cheers.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:27 PM
  • The version I have is Creatacard Gold 3 which according to the various posts I have read in other forums is THE best version. I would be very willing to buy one of the later versions, but all other versions since then have been problematic and lacking in ease of use according to posts on various forums. The latest version (I think 8) now gets a lot of its graphics online so can also be slow to respond. If all else fails I will maybe try one of the newer versions, but it will be a last resort.

Anyway I much appreciate your offer to test it out. Not sure how you will find the program so let me know if I can help. Cheers.

It's ok, I'll try to get the soft try it and let you know if it works but in the mean while I guess you can give it a chance with the cc cleaner then reinstall the application in compatibility mode for Windows 98, it looks like the software was designed for Windows 98 and many issues with all other previous Windows versions untill Windows 7.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi pm1001,
    I've been trying for a while to get a demo/trial version of Creatacard Gold 3, even if was designed for Windows 95/98 still seems to be very popular, at that time I guess wasn't demo/trial versions released, in the mean while I'll have a look to see in case that somehow a demo/trial was "let go" over the internet or someone uploaded.
    But I advise you would install it in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode and let me know if it works.
    Regards 
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:14 PM
  • I have tried as you suggested, but still the same error. Thanks again for your assistance.  Did you have any success with getting the program? If it helps I have created a ISO disc image and zipped it, but its still 560MB which makes internet transmission difficult. Possible to use www.transferbigfiles.com if I had your email address.  Cheers.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:50 AM
  • I have tried as you suggested, but still the same error. Thanks again for your assistance.  Did you have any success with getting the program? If it helps I have created a ISO disc image and zipped it, but its still 560MB which makes internet transmission difficult. Possible to use www.transferbigfiles.com if I had your email address.  Cheers.

Hi pm101,
    I had no luck in obtaining a demo/trial version of the soft, 560Mb looks like huge for an application that was designed and concepted for Windows 95/98...an entire OS larger than Windows 95 a sort of entire Windows 98...I'm wondering where would install office applications at that time:), unfortunally the present internet conection does not allow me transffer of such a big files.
    But I also have been trying to get more information about the application (the same error can cause an application of a few kb, had no ideea 560Mb) and there is something that gives me the impression would cause the error...
    Does the application or any elements of it load during the startup?
    You can try to perform a clean boot while the application is installed in any of Windows 95/98 compatibility mode and try to start the application?
    Also take in consideration during the install process if there is any option or check box would ask you confirm to load during startup some elements of software.
    But please confirm me something does the error shows up on screen when the OS is loaded...if yes try to locate in the program folder a file like and anything related to vga.dll copy it into another folder delete it from the program folder restart the comp and see if the same error comes up again.
    Regards   
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi pm101,

If you look in the Windows Eventlogs, do you see any events at the time of the application error? Do you get a Windows Error Reporting notification? Can you post any such information here if you get any?

Do you know who the developer of this application is? Is it Riverdeep?

\Rob
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Hi I.V.  Thanks for the further suggestions. I will need a bit of time to try them so please have patience and I will do today when I can. Cheers
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hi Rob  What I found is in an earlier post ".... it identifies the faulting module as ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385 time stamp: 0x4a5bdadb". Is this what you are refering to?
    I have looked at the event viewer again and have also found that ole32.dll version: 6.1.7600.16385 time stamp: 0x35eb4044 has sometimes been the culprit. That is probably because I have tried so many permutations to get this running.

The only other thing I have noticed is that while other apps run straight away when clicked, eg cc cleaner or any MS games etc click and they run, with Creatacard it ALWAYS comes up with a UAC dialogue saying the publisher is unknown and do I want to run this. Click yes and the error message comes up after a second or 2.

The original authors were Mindscape Novato CA 94945 (it syas on the CD) but I think there is some tie up with Broderbund and Riverdeep, but I dont know what the history/relationship is.

I have spoken to someone at Mindscape but they cant offer any suggestions for such an old program other than to buy something newer from Broderbund. They also said there had been lots of issues from others with Vista - though it works fine for me in Vista Home Premium. Cheers
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Hi pm101,

That is exactly what I meant, thanks for that.

Would it be possible for you to download Application Verifier, and run the faulting app under it to get more diagnostic information? You can obtain Application Verifier from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c4a25ab9-649d-4a1b-b4a7-c9d8b095df18&DisplayLang=en

And, could you download ProcDump to your \Windows\System32 folder, and run "procdump -e <name_of_your_failing_exe>" to get a memory dump of the failure? ProcDump is on:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

If you have the information we have to find a way to share this between us. SkyDrive maybe?

Cheers,

\Rob

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Hi I.V.  Thanks for the further suggestions. I will need a bit of time to try them so please have patience and I will do today when I can. Cheers

Hi pm1001,
    I red the post bellow and if I am not wrong the ntdll.dll is a module required at the boot time and as I guess in the event viewer the time stamp of the error is related to the boot time, the other module ole32.dll is part of the outlook or whatever office application you have installed and I guess the time stamp of the error again is related to the boot time.
    It could be a possibility that the office application is installed wrong and have to reinstall it or repair the installation but also take in consideration 2 remainders loads during the startup creating a conflict and not a...card(ex. office remainder and creatacard remainder).
    The conclusion is that nothing related to the OS running on - only a simply wrong installation.
    That would simplify your work checking the folders and files and get back your wife's pleasure of creating greeting cards under a new OS.
    Cheers.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Rob / I.V.

Thank you both for your suggestions and in light of I.V.'s comments I am doing a fresh install of W7 and will load Creatacard as the first App even before updating W7 patches etc. That way there will not be any onterference from other Apps. I had previously loaded MS Office and Norton AV2009 which I had uninstalled as soon as Creatacard would not run. Will keep you posted on progress. Thanks again both. PM101.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Rob / I.V.

Thank you both for your suggestions and in light of I.V.'s comments I am doing a fresh install of W7 and will load Creatacard as the first App even before updating W7 patches etc. That way there will not be any onterference from other Apps. I had previously loaded MS Office and Norton AV2009 which I had uninstalled as soon as Creatacard would not run. Will keep you posted on progress. Thanks again both. PM101.

::))That's very good pm101, my ex. wife had a passion for creating greeting cards but at that time used an "external computer" not main or hers...that computer was a bit too much...and problems occured...hadn't a software as that anyway couldn't install it being an "external computer" however do what you can do get back your wife's pleasures.  
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Rob/I.V.

I have now done a clean install of W7, then before doing even a Windows Update I installed CreataCard Gold 3 using the Windows95 compatibilty mode to do the install. Install went smoothly with no probs as always.

However the program failed to run again with the exact same error as before.

I have tried various combinations of compatibilty modes, admin/user privileges and DEP applied/not applied to CACard32.exe. The only thing that is slightly different is there is a dialogue that pops up before the Application failure notice. This new dialogue announces that "Creatacard Application File has stopped working" and provides a "Problem signature". I have pasted these signatures (2 slightly different) below. It seems that when running in Compatibility modes W95 & W98 the failing module is ole32.dll and when using NT4 or above compatibility its ntdll.dll that fails

Installed prog in W95 compatibility mode ok.

Running directly in W7 with no updates and with setting compatibility mode to Win95 or 98, run as admin or user, and with or without DEP

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: CACard32.exe
      Application Version: 3.0.0.65
      Application Timestamp: 35eb4044
      Fault Module Name: ole32.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdac7
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 00054064
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 3081
      Additional Information 1: 4c0d
      Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
      Additional Information 3: 4c0d
      Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

Running under XP SP2, SP3 compatibility mode or NT4 or Win200, either run as admin or user, and with or without DEP

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: CACard32.exe
      Application Version: 3.0.0.65
      Application Timestamp: 35eb4044
      Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdadb
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 000520bd
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 3081
      Additional Information 1: 4c0d
      Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
      Additional Information 3: 4c0d
      Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

My sad conclusion is that this App will not run in W7 Home Premium. It may work in Professional or Ultimate version with XP Mode installed, which from what I deduce from reading online is some kind of virtual XP environment. The other thing that may work is to use VMWare to install a virtual XP instance, but as I havent used VM before will be a learning curve.

Thanks again to both of you for your assistance, it is very much appreciated, but unless you have any breakthrough ideas I think I will give up on running this on W7 Home Premium and follow up other possibilities to get this thing running, eg VMWare or Ultimate XP Mode.

Cheers PM101

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Hi pm101,

You mentioned before that you've created an iso of the application's setup binaries. If you still have that, can you please upload it to the following workspace so I can download it and try to setup a reproduction of your problem?

Workspace details:
    URL: https://sftemea.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=2d5540b8-46fb-43ae-8a5d-11acd35e948e
    Pw: hj3z#eW{w{)8

Hope this helps,

\Rob
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:06 PM
  • I have a very similar problem. If I try and run ANY application in compatibility mode i get this error. The odd thing is that I never got it at first. I have only got it today. Today I got a new hard drive to replace an old one. The OS is not installed on the drive it is just for files. I connected the new drive and things were fine. The problem only arose when I changed the drive letters so that the new one had the drive letter of the old one. I have since rebooted so that I wouldn't recieve errors. Alas, it was not meant to be. I cant get it to stop. And I desperately need compatibility mode to work. :(
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Hi Rob

You are welcome to try, thanks.

I am transferring the file now but the Standard connection is only running at 16KB/s so it will take 10hrs !!! My connection should run at 10 times that speed. I did try the express but for some reason it couldnt connect and timed out each time I tried. Set my IE8 as per the instructions for express but no go with express. So I hope it all transfers ok.  Cheers

Update - still going strong if not slow. 3 hrs to go.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Hi Rob

You are welcome to try, thanks.

I am transferring the file now but the Standard connection is only running at 16KB/s so it will take 10hrs !!! My connection should run at 10 times that speed. I did try the express but for some reason it couldnt connect and timed out each time I tried. Set my IE8 as per the instructions for express but no go with express. So I hope it all transfers ok.  Cheers

Update - still going strong if not slow. 3 hrs to go.

Hi pm101,
    here's what I found for you, please read carefully and check the paragraphs that I Bold and Underline:

Cause of Ntdll.dll Errors

The causes of ntdll.dll error messages can vary greatly. However, most ntdll.dll errors result from a corrupt or damaged version of the ntdll.dll file itself, corrupt hardware drivers, or issues between Windows and other programs.

Ntdll.dll errors can sometimes mean that a piece of hardware in your computer is malfunctioning, but this is rare.

Resolution

1. Restart your computer. The ntdll.dll error you're receiving could be due to a one-time, temporary issue and a simple reboot may resolve the problem completely.
    2. Reinstall the program if the ntdll.dll error only displays when you use a specific program.

If the software program has any updates or service packs available, install them too. The software's programmers may have identified an issue with the program that caused the ntdll.dll error and then issued a patch for it.

Note: Third party software programs that have been installed on your computer are almost always the cause of ntdll.dll errors. The remainder of these troubleshooting steps resolve ntdll.dll issues only rarely.
    3. Check the Windows service pack level you're running and then check Microsoft's support site to see if there is a more recent service pack available for installation. Some issues that caused ntdll.dll errors have been corrected in these service packs from Microsoft.
    4. Selectively disable Internet Explorer add-ons. If your ntdll.dll error is displaying when you start, run, or close Internet Explorer, an add-on may be causing the problem. Disabling each add-on, one by one, will determine which add-on is the culprit (if any).

Note: As a workaround, assuming the ntdll.dll error really is Internet Explorer related, install and use a competing browser like Firefox.
    5. Rename the NLSPATH system variable. If your Windows system does not have this environment variable, skip this step.

Note: This is a troubleshooting step for this issue only. Be sure to set this path back to its original name if this does not resolve the ntdll.dll issue.
    6. Disable Data Execution Prevention for Explorer.exe. As in the previous step, this is for troubleshooting the ntdll.dll issue only. If this doesn't resolve the problem, return the Data Execution Prevention settings to their previous settings.
    7. Update drivers for any hardware in your computer where updated drivers are available. Outdated drivers sometimes cause ntdll.dll errors.
    8. Test your memory for damage. If you're receiving ntdll.dll messages, one possible cause could be a bad memory module in your system. Testing your memory will either identify a problem or clear your RAM of any responsibility.

Replace your memory if it fails any of your tests.
    9. Ntdll.dll errors could occur if you have an Iomega Zip drive on the same IDE cable as the hard drive inside your computer. If so, move the Zip drive to a dedicated IDE controller.
    10. Replace the IDE cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard. If this cable is damaged or malfunctioning, one symptom could be the ntdll.dll error you're seeing.
    11. Repair your installation of Windows. If individual software reinstallations fail to resolve the problem, a repair installation of Windows will replace the ntdll.dll file.
    12. Perform a clean installation of Windows. A clean installation will completely remove Windows from your PC and install it again from scratch. I don't recommend this option unless you've exhausted all previous troubleshooting ideas and you're comfortable that the ntdll.dll error is not caused by a single program (Step #2).

Note: If a single program or plugin is causing the ntdll.dll error, reinstalling Windows and then reinstalling all of the same software may lead you right back to the same ntdll.dll error.
    13. While extremely rare, if everything else has failed, including the clean installation from the last step, you could be dealing with a hardware issue with your hard drive.

If so, replace the hard drive and then perform a new installation of Windows.

Applies To

Ntdll.dll error messages can apply to nearly any Windows based software program, driver, or plugin on any of Microsoft's operating systems from Windows NT to Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Source: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/ntdlldll.htm

SHOULD HELP
    Regards
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Hi Rob  Seems you are suggesting that I am going to have a problem whether I re-install the OS or not.

The .ISO upload slowed to a crawl yesterday (8kB/s)and still had 5 hrs est. to go and my ISP had a planned outage at 4am so it had crashed when I looked this morning. I cant get the resume or express option to run, so I will try one more time on standard and update you tonight. Cheers PM101
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hi pm101,

If you can tell me in what country you are I may be able to setup a workspace closer to you. The current one is in Europe. Are you in Europe?

\Rob
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Hi Rob

FYI - I am in Australia near Sydney. The zipped .iso uploaded successfully last night so you should hopefully now be able to download unzip and make a Creatacard CD for test purposes. The zipped .iso is about 80MB smaller than the original so I used that for upload. The actual original .iso file expanded is 642MB. Cheers PM101.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Hi pm101,

I downloaded the iso successfully, thanks for that!

I mounted the iso on a Win7 x64 Enterprise edition. Immediately when I started setup.exe, I got this error:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

How did you get around this error?

Cheers,

\Rob

Monday, November 02, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi Rob I have read on other forums that the Craetacard installer was originally written in 16 bit code which will execute on a 32 bit OS but not run on a 64 bit one as you have!!

As my Win 7 is 32 bit, I did not get this problem and the install went flawlessly.

As I am fairly certain now this App will not run on native W7 (unless an update fixes that in the future), I am currently experimenting with VMWare's free VMPlayer as an alternative to using XP Mode in W7 Ultimate which from what I read is actually a Virtual environment loaded on W7. I have it working, but the inegration with W7 still comes up short at present so I will keep trying. Thanks again for your continued assistance. Cheers PM101
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hi
    I just updated from vista home premium to Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)
    Had creatacard gold 3 installed and working fine, and also have never had a problem
    Went to start the program after the upgrade and the same error as you, so I know the same problem happens with Windows 7 Ultimate
    Have tried compatibility mode, uninstalling and reinstalling and the same problem
    We have used the program for years with many versions of Windows, no problems either
    I thought I would let you know someone else if having same problem with same version of creatacard gold 3

I would appreciate any help too.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Hi pm101,

I agree with you that the program will not run on Win7 x64. Our tests show this. As you say, on Win7 x86 there is no problem. I guess this is because there are 16-bit components contained in the application. These will not run on x64, as this article mentions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458
    Although only XP/2003 are mentioned, this also goes for other x64 editions of our OSs.

I regret we could not get it working, but I'm sure you will figure it out! :)

Kind regards,

\Rob

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Hi mcboise Sorry to hear you are having the problem as well. Have you tried the XP Mode download from Microsoft? I think you need both XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC downloads (both free) to get it going according to my W7 retail box. I have Creatacard running in VMWare's VMPlayer on Windows Home guest OS and it works fine. I just need to get the display tweaked right for a relatively novice PC user as it can be very confusing to see both the guest and host OS on the screen together. Having said that I may experiment with Virtualbox as well. Let me know how you get on. Cheers PM101
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hi Rob

Well thanks for your help anyway, as you say I will figure it out. I have it working ok now in the VM, it prints and accesses the shared folder I set up, so that is about all I need it to do, I just need to do some work on the display of the App and its launching and stopping to "look like the real thing".

If you get the chance to try it in XP Mode on Ultimate 32bit I would be interested to get your feedback.

Cheers PM101
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Hi Rob

Well thanks for your help anyway, as you say I will figure it out. I have it working ok now in the VM, it prints and accesses the shared folder I set up, so that is about all I need it to do, I just need to do some work on the display of the App and its launching and stopping to "look like the real thing".

If you get the chance to try it in XP Mode on Ultimate 32bit I would be interested to get your feedback.

Cheers PM101

Hi pm101,
    :)here's another try might get the appl working: go in security tab and add your user name logged with full control and also take the owner ship of the application, in case the stil doesn't work check the system log events and see if ntdll.dll error is still present.
    regards
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Hi I.V.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried this before but did repeat it just now to be sure. It does not make any difference unfortunately, same error with the same dll shown in the event log. 

Cheers PM101
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Hi pm101,

When I run the app on Win7 Ultimate x86, I don't need XP Mode: it seems to run fine.

Kind regards,

\Rob

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Hi Rob

That is very interesting. Please confirm - it runs natively in W7 Ultimate 32bit without any virtualisation? I wonder what the difference is between the Premium and Ultimate? I have read that the installs are the same product, but just more of the product is enabled the more you pay !!

FYI I am just starting to try MS Virtual PC 2007 which while unsupported may provide a more user friendly experience, will keep you posted if you are interested.

Cheers

Mike
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hi Rob

I upgraded to Ultimate but have had exactly the same problem as with Premium and have now downloaded the (500MB) XP Mode virtual machine. Creatacard runs ok in XP Mode, but as a solution XP Mode is very much a "bolt on goody". Anyway Creatacard runs and I can load/save to a drive visible in the real PC and it outputs to my network printer (after changing from NAT setting). So I can use W7 for my more recent Apps and the wife can use Creatacard so its a solution.

I would however like to know HOW it works on your W7 without XP Mode, so appreciate an update and some info on your hardware, just in case its hardware related. Did you do a fresh install or upgrade install from Vista? Cheers Mike
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Hi PM101, That solved the problem. I downloaded Windows XP Mode & Windows Virtual Mode for Microsoft. Installed creatacard gold 3 in XP Mode. Works like it always has.
    Thank you for your help
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Hi pm101,

Sorry for the delay!

I installed a fresh HyperV guestmachine with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I then installed CreateACard as Admin and after that, all ran fine.

Hope that answers your question.

\Rob
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Hi Rob thanks for getting back to me.

Ah OK so you have also used a virtual machine. So just to get it straight in my dim brain, do you mean you have W7 Ultimate as the host OS, then you have installed HyperV then installed another OS within HyperV, or doesnt HyperV need another OS installed?   I dont know the HyperV product so am trying to understand what is needed.

Did a quick Google and found that its intended for Server 2008? Is HyperV a free download and easy to install on W7 Ultimate?
    What is the integration like, eg can you share folders between virtual and real machine, does it allow networking?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may be that its a better option for me if it works well. 

One issue I have with XP Mode is that you effectively need to maintain 2 OS's (W7 and XP) for updates and security, so 2 instances of AV and other spyware progs are required as well as the time to ensure scans completed etc. Your detailed explanation of your installation would be very welcome if you have the time.

Cheers

PM101
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:42 AM
  • My wife has the same problem and the only way I was able to make it run was in a virtual environment which is a free program from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ It starts the application slow but then works pretty good.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Hi, Ditto, I just updated from vista home premium to Windows 7 Professional (32bit) and am having the same problem. I used CreataCard 3 Plus with Windows 98,  XP, Vista Home premium for many years with no problems. I can't get it to work with Win 7. YUK!   I hope someone finds an answer soon. Thanks.  Has anyone got it to work with Windows 7 on a 32 bit system?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:18 AM
  • This sounds really stupid and illogical to me, but I've read of others that had no problems with creatacard if installed as Admin and unplugged speakers.  For some just disconnecting the speakers worked.  If that really works - I want to know why it works.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:41 PM
  • We get the same exact error message on Windows 7 machines or Server 2008R2 machines once they are joined to the domain.  Except for a very specific OU, any Win7 or 2008R2 machine cannot install applications without: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

This did not happen with any of the Beta or the RC versions, we first noticed it with the RTM version. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what I did in that specific OU that makes it work.

We are running 2003R2 functional domain.

Friday, April 23, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I solved this problem on windows 7 x64 by uninstalling "Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007" update :-)

Now outlook starts without problem.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:01 PM
  • We get a similar error on Win7 and 2008R2 systems in a domain until we move them to an OU that has GPO inheritance turned off.  I think its the additional path restriction policies that cause the problem.  Our domain is 2003R2 functional level.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi. Thanks for Info on diconecting sound works well. I also found that if you disable "Power" in msconfig services then restart the computer then Creatacard will work fine, but this causes other problems with power settings and Hibernate. Thanks again. Using Advent laptop Windows 7 Ultimate Realtec HD Audio
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hi

I too have the same problem. I had NO issues until I installed these products: AutoCAD 2013, Autodesk Design Review 2013, and Inventor Fusion 2013. The are ALL from the same publisher Autodesk.

My errors ONLY occur as I try to Shut Down the Machine! They Run Just Fine!?? Except at Shutdown??? I am Shutting Down so why the "The Application was unable to start correctly....." What the.....

I am running Windows 7 64 bit Pro, 8 Gigs DDR II, on an Intel Core II Quad CPU 9550 @ 2.83 GHz NOT Overclocked with a Terabyte in a RAID 1 Mirror array.

I would be grateful for Any help you can provide.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

mike22@earthlink.com

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:20 AM