none
Windows 8 fonts in metro ui and ie 10 blurry , unusable and worst experience

Question

• Is there a fix for fonts in the windows 8 . I got a asus vivotab smart10.1 windows 8 tablet 1366x768 native resolution. The fonts are using sub-pixel positioned grayscale which is hurting my eyes .

Is there a fix or registry entries to make metro ie 10 to use subpixel positioned cleartype or display ie 8 behaviour .

I cant believe that Microsoft engineers cant even get usability right ? how are users going to use these tablets. You get one chance at this and it so bad 

Is there a fix coming or is there a workaround ? 

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:26 AM

All replies

• 
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:37 AM
  • I agree, but MS doesn't care about this. They removed it because the ClearType doesn't work if you rotate the device.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20120303/cleartype-takes-a-back-seat-for-windows-8-metro/

To "fix" it use a display with a higher resolution like Full HD (1920*1080) in the Surface Pro.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, February 9, 2013 10:00 AM
    Answerer
  • Is this even a solution "To "fix" it use a display with a higher resolution like Full HD (1920*1080) in the Surface Pro." !!!

Microsoft is shit and will never be on the creative front. They are supposed to be giving users the option to disable it. They had one opportunity and they screw up that.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:04 AM
  • Very good picture of the difference on font rendering.

It clearly shows the inferiority of Grayscale font rendering. 

I agree with ashT23's comment about usability. It really beggars belief that Microsoft engineers could not even get this right.

I don't think there is any registry tweak that will compensate for the blurry text. As far as I know, the only way to fix this will be for MS to release a new RGB sub-pixel font rendering API for IE10 and Office 2013.

Given that at least a billion people spend most of their workdays in front of a screen using MS Office apps, I would have thought that providing them with clear fonts would have been a priority. If it isn't a priority for Microsoft, then Office will disappear as fast as Lotus 123 did. 

• Edited by Dr Geek Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:51 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 11:39 AM