none
Changing DCOM Default Impersonation Level causes Explorer to continuously restart RRS feed

• Question

• I've been reading the following post on this site. My symptoms are similar but the cause appears to be different:

(I can't put the link in here until I've verified my account, but if you google for explorer-in-constant-crash-loop-after-upgrade-to-1809 it's the top result.)

We have an application which uses DCOM and requires changing the Default Properties. We need to change the Default Authentication level to 'None' and the Default Impersonation Level to 'Anonymous'. If we do this, then log out and back in again, Explorer does not run correctly. It starts, runs for a second then crashes. It then starts up again and repeats. The only way to stop this is go back into dcomcnfg through Task Manager and set back to the previous settings.

Information:

• Windows 10 1803 build 17134.471
    • Updated with the latest windows updates
    • The machine is part of a domain, though this happens with both domain and local users.
    • The machine is on a VM, but I've also seen this with hardware machines.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

James.

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

When you set an impersonation level for an application, you determine what degree of authority the application grants other applications to use its identity when it calls them. You can set this only for COM+ server applications—library applications run under the identity of the hosting process and use the impersonation level that it specifies.

Sorry, due to limited condition, we can’t test your application in our environment.

Please find a 1903 latest build machine then test your app and configure Default Impersonation Level to Anonymous, check result. If still no help, feedback this situation to Microsoft via Feedback Hub app.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Thanks for your input. I've updated to 1903 and the problem still persists
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:09 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Update system to the latest build and change another admin account to check result.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:33 AM