none
gpedit.msc fails: could not open the Group Policy Object on this computer, details: unspecified error

Question

• gpedit.msc fails: could not open the Group Policy Object on this computer, details: unspecified error

After start of gpedit.msc there's message: (i have polish version of OS, so translation may be incorrect)

• Group Policy Error: Unable to open the Group Policy Object on this computer. You may not have sufficient rights. Details: Unspecified error.

After this Local Group Policy Editor appear, but there's no possibility to do anything, and there's no any elements of tree.

OS: Win 7 Prof 6.1.7601 SP1, There's no changes in GPO. Computer is not part of domain.

I used SFC to check system, according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833, with no effect. Of course, current user is in administrators group, and LUA (UAC) is off.

-------------------------------------------

In Event Viewer i found two errors:

Windows Firewall did not apply the following rule:

Information on rules:

ID: CoreNet-IPHTTPS-In

Name: Basic network operations - Protocol IPHTTPS (inbound TCP)

Information about the error:

Cause: The local port is empty.

Windows Firewall did not apply the following rule:

Information on rules:

ID: CoreNet-Teredo-In

Name: Basic network operations - Teredo (UDP inbound traffic)

Information about the error:

Cause: The local port is empty.

But I don't know how to fix them. It appear, when I'm starting gpedit.msc

• Edited by ernehem Saturday, November 5, 2011 9:08 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:38 AM

Answers

• Why did you mark this as the answer when you've not provided an answer or indeed offered any helpful advice whatsoever?

This is a serious issue around the technet forums where moderators simply bump up their own meaningless point scores by "answering" issues with absolutely nothing at all. Sort it out, Microsoft.

I still have this issue. It's unresolved, and the answer here doesn't help, unsurprisingly.

Edit - the solution is to delete the contents of the folder "c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy". You can then open the Group Policy Editor successfully.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• hai,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839499   check this

Regards fazil [Please remember to click this as marked as helpful if u find it useful.. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.]
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:47 AM
  • This not work for me.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Does this issue occur to all users?

Have you tried to create a new user to test?

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Why did you mark this as the answer when you've not provided an answer or indeed offered any helpful advice whatsoever?

This is a serious issue around the technet forums where moderators simply bump up their own meaningless point scores by "answering" issues with absolutely nothing at all. Sort it out, Microsoft.

I still have this issue. It's unresolved, and the answer here doesn't help, unsurprisingly.

Edit - the solution is to delete the contents of the folder "c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy". You can then open the Group Policy Editor successfully.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Its a good point from RPXN....

The fix mentioned (delete the contents of the folder "c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy".) worked for me so thanks

Carl Barrett | Twitter: @Mosquat

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Thanks rpxn, deleting the folder did the trick...

Just a side note, my computer was not joined to a domain, but had the windows features for administrating active directory.  I removed those features and deleted the folder.  And it worked.  

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Awesome. It IS working for me. Once it is fixed, I am able to fix the other error "Shut Down Button Is Missing From Windows 7 Logon Screen". 

[

]

Thanks a million RPXN.

2015-12-07

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:59 PM
  • The point goes to RPXN, deleting the the content of the "GroupPolicy" folder resolved this isse.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:56 PM
  • I had this issue on Server 2016 Standard. This server runs Hyper-V for some of our VM's (in a domain).

It is not joined to any domains.

Recently, I wanted to disable WindowsUpdates as I prefer to do updates manually and without any surprise restarts. Opening up gpedit.msc gave me that specific error, and a Google directed me to this thread.

To confirm - deleting the contents of the folder "c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy" resolved this issue for me as well - on Server2016.

Thanks for this, it is really appreciated.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Thank you, It has worked for me.......
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Same Problem on Win 10 and Solution Worked for me too (deleting the contents of the folder "c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy")

Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:31 PM
  • So we are having this same issue on win7 and win10 machines and we DO NOT have the c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy folder.  We do have c:\windows\system32\grouppolicyUsers has anyone come across this?  The folder appears empty.  What's odd is on a system that IS working I have the GroupPolicyUsers folder as well.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Roger Truss:

You have to enable hidden files in "View" in order to see the "GroupPolicy" folder.

• Edited by Batman1458 Monday, April 30, 2018 7:27 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2018 7:26 PM