none
Slow W7 start - black screen with arrow

Question

• Hi, I have some trouble during W7 start...after W7 logo disappears (apprx. 30s), my screen turns into black with mouse cursor (arrow). It takes about 50s till the windows welcome screen appears. Exept of this issue seems everything fine. I am running W7 RC (7100) on older PC (P4 3,4GHz, 2Gb DDR, 160Gb SATA, ATI x600pro 128Mb, LCD HP 2475w). Does anybody know what might cause this problem? Thx. 
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Yes, it can be kind of tricky to determine what can be disabled and what should be left alone.  It really depends on what software is installed on the system - some software intertwines itself so tightly into the OS that you really can't reliably disable anything; the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall it.  Other software is a lot more forgiving, and really doesn't need that auto-start (Adode SpeedLauncher, for example).  So, it may become a matter of trial and error, if you're interested in going that route.

Another tool that may be worth exploring is xbootmgr from the Windows Performance Toolkit ; however, I'm currently not terribly familiar with it outside of a general exposure to what it can be used for...  (which is, measuring on/off transition performance...)

(Note: for W7, the needed WPT comes with the Windows 7 RC1 SDK ...)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hello mihic,

One way to help speed up startup is to take a look at what programs and services are being loaded and remove anything that isn't immediately needed during startup.  You can access these options by typing msconfig in the search box at the bottom of the Start Bar and clicking the startup tab.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I might mention another program worth checking out for this purpose:
    Sysinternals' Autoruns
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for reply, I turned off all programs that are listed in startup tab (such as AVG, HD Audio, Pivot pro, Logitech setpoint etc.) and all non windows services, but without any significant improvements. I checked the Sysinternals, but there are plenty of options and I don´t know which of them I can turn off securely?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Yes, it can be kind of tricky to determine what can be disabled and what should be left alone.  It really depends on what software is installed on the system - some software intertwines itself so tightly into the OS that you really can't reliably disable anything; the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall it.  Other software is a lot more forgiving, and really doesn't need that auto-start (Adode SpeedLauncher, for example).  So, it may become a matter of trial and error, if you're interested in going that route.

Another tool that may be worth exploring is xbootmgr from the Windows Performance Toolkit ; however, I'm currently not terribly familiar with it outside of a general exposure to what it can be used for...  (which is, measuring on/off transition performance...)

(Note: for W7, the needed WPT comes with the Windows 7 RC1 SDK ...)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Hello mihic,

Have you been able to resolve your issue?

Please let us know.
    • Edited by SaMcp1123 Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:24 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Hi SaMcp1123,

Please note that I am not the OP, and thus have no issue. :-)
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hi, I did clean re-install of W7, but the problem wasn´t solved anyway. I did not install any applications, so it must be something else, maybe some driver issue?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Yes, I suppose it sounds like a driver issue. Do you notice anything in the event logs, or in the performance log (run "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\eventvwr.msc"  /c:"Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational" )?
    Friday, June 05, 2009 1:47 AM