none
Laptop restarting after Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Last night 6/29/11 Windows Update popped up and said there were some things that needed to be installed. I remember that there were 5 recommended and 2 optional. I didn't look at what the updates were, but I let it install all of them. As usual after it was done updating I got the dialog box to restart my computer to complete the updates. I restarted, but now when the laptop gets to step 3/3 it stays there for a few minutes and then the screen goes back before restarting and doing the whole process over again. Starting in safe mode did not work and it has been doing this loop for hours.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please restart the computer to check if you can boot into system. If so, please perform system restore and run manually run Windows Update to check. If you can't boot into system, WinRE will prompt. Always use System Restore in WinRE first.

If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:46 AM

All replies

• During the boot up sequence.. try hitting f8 and select Last known Good configuration. Hopefully it works.

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Miedziejewski Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:26 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Thanks for the attempt. I pressed F8 and there was the normal option to startup in safe mode or normally with the addition of starting from the last known good configuration. I chose that option and it continued to go to the Configuring Updates Step 3/3 0% Complete page. After stalling there for a minute or two it restarted itself as it has been doing.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:03 PM
  • No luck then.. To save time..  i guess you can use active-boot disc. Boot via dos mode..  and backup your data to external storage.. and reinstall your OS..

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Please restart the computer to check if you can boot into system. If so, please perform system restore and run manually run Windows Update to check. If you can't boot into system, WinRE will prompt. Always use System Restore in WinRE first.

If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:46 AM