none
Changing default save location or disabling sticky notes

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on creating a standard image for Windows 7 for my organization.

Is it possible to either change the default save location of the Sticky Notes? (current default being C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\StickyNotes.snt) I'd like to change that to somewhere else like My Documents, or a network share.

If this isn't possible, I'd like to disable this altogether.

Thanks,

Rohan

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

After using the Process Monitor to monitor the Sticky Note, I found that this is not controlled by a key of registry, maybe the behavior is directly controlled by the EXE file or some invoked DLL files. So I assume that the path can not be changed.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Rohan K Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rohan K Friday, April 15, 2011 4:32 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Hi Juke,

I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look at this.

It's unfortunate that this can't be customized. =(

Thanks again,

Rohan

Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Here is a way to change the location of the file.  I too was looking for a way.  Hope that this helps.

http://superuser.com/questions/117016/changing-location-of-sticky-notes-file-on-windows-7

• Marked as answer by Rohan K Friday, April 15, 2011 4:32 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing! I'm going to try it out when I'm back at work =)

Cheers,

Rohan

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I have found another method for changing the location of Sticky Notes. It doesn't involve using the command prompt. It involves using the Steam Mover application which is so much easier to use. Step by step instructions are found here: How to Sync Sticky Notes Across Users and Computers in 7 Steps
    • Proposed as answer by 7 TutorialsMVP Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:30 AM