Error message in XP mode "Unable to locate component" RRS feed

• Question

• Following a forced restart of the actual machine, I an no longer access XPmode. I get as far as "Could not enable integration features" window. Numerous attempts to Retry only produce black screen with two error messages
    lsass.exe - Unable to locate component
    The application has failed to start because SAMSRV.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

and
    services.exe - Unable to locate component
    The application has failed to start because NCObjAPI.dll was not found.Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I have tried assorted solutions found on web (without success), but none seems to refer to these specific messages.

On settings, the result for Integration features is that on the left side it says unavailable, and in the right-hand pane the settings are greyed out, but preferences retained.
    As my main use for XPmode is for OutlookExpress, and it holds all my (1000s) of emails, I am most anxious not to do anything which lose these!:

I discovered this  on another forum
    Xp Mode needs these files to run, by default located in three different folders:

• Windows XP Mode.vmcx
      • Virtual Machine description and registration settings
      • default location C:\Users\Your_Username\Virtual Machines
    • Windows XP Mode.vhd
      • Virtual Machine virtual hard drive image
      • default location C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines
    • Windows XP Mode.vmc
      • Virtual Machine settings file
      • default location C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines
    • Windows XP Mode.vsv
      • Virtual Machine saved state file (hibernation data)
      • This file exists only when XP Mode is hibernated or is running. It is deleted automatically every time XP Mode is shut down
    • Windows XP Mode.vmc.vpcbackup
      • Virtual Machine settings backup
    • VirtualPCUndo_Windows XP Mode_X_Y_ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.vud
      • Virtual machine Undo-disk (X, Y & Z in the file name are replaced with digits)
      • This file exists only if so called Undo Disk is enabled in XP Mode settings
    • Windows XP Mode base.vhd
      • XP Mode base disk
      • default location C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode

When I check these files' properties on my computer, I discovered that it is possible to restore an earlier version of these files selecting from a list of earlier Backup or Restore point versions. Now, I have never used the restore feature before. My question is, therefore, would restoring all or any of these files to an earlier point solve my problem? If so, which files should I restore, and should I do so
    a] from a back up file or a restore point?
    b] with all from the same date and time, as far as possible?
    I assume that I should select a time before the system crashed?

Or, would I need to uninstall and re-install XP mode? And if I did so, would this mean losing all the data and programmes within it?

I fear I am not very technically minded.

Kind regards
    John

Monday, June 25, 2012 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the error, I am affraid you may need to reinstall XP Mode to fix the issue.

About your mails, please export a copy for backup.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

You may attach the VHD as a drive, and copy the database .pst of Outlook Express.

Juke Chou

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:49 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:02 AM

All replies

• Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I fear my e-mails are on Outlook Express, and therefore stored in the XP mode VM. I am naturally loathe to uninstall/re-install until I have explored every avenue for retrieving the inaccessible data, hence the questions at the end of my post.

It would seem that it is possible to back up/copy and store in new folder the files I listed in my post above, and that after ininstalling/re-installing the new XPmode VM will make use of these files, but niot being very tech savvy I need a clear "How to un-install and re-install XP Mode  without losing data"  guide lest I accidentally wipe anything.

Kind regards,

John

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

From the error, I am affraid you may need to reinstall XP Mode to fix the issue.

Juke Chou

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Juke,

Thank you for replying. Do I detect a glimmer of hope for recovery?

You write:

Do you by this mean a copy of the db folders, etc. If so, how to I access them as the base problem is that XPmode VM will not finish loading. (BlackScreen and error messages - see my opening post in this thread).

Or do you mean copy and save the relevant vhd, vmc, vmcx, vmcbackup files as listed in my opening post?

Kind regards,

John

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

You may attach the VHD as a drive, and copy the database .pst of Outlook Express.

Juke Chou

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:49 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:02 AM