none
NETBEUI protocol RRS feed

• Question

• We use the netbeui protocol under Windows Vista; will it be available on Windows 7 ?
    Thanks

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

since Windows Vista, netbeui is not longer available:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-happened-to-the-NetBEUI-protocol

But, you do the same things with NetBT (Netbios over TCP/IP).

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:19 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

Are you sure ? It is on the Vista installation CD and we use it.
    Thanks
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:37 PM
  • You may found netbeui on your Windows XP CD as unsupprted optional component, right.

But not on Vista. In Vista Netbeui is removed and unsupported.

Sorry, it's time for TCP/IP
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Zahni is correct. The NetBEUI is replaced By TCP/IP protocal. Please be sure that TCP/IP or network basic input/output system (NetBIOS), both of which are installed by default in Windows 7.

Thanks,
    Novak
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Thanks for your answers.
    I'd like to tell to our customer "Sorry, it's time for TCP/IP" but I can't; there are some OS/2 clients which use only NETBIOS.
    I would let you know what we use NETBEUI under VISTA (file  1024976.zip ) , NBF.SYS seems to be identical to the XP client and it works well.
    what do you think of these informations:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/5369-networking-file-share-between-windows-7-windows-xp-7.html

(explanations of TORRENTG)

Regards

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:20 AM
  • The NetBEUI protocal is replaced and it is not built in the new system. If you still would like to install it, we can also install it on the machine by the 1024976.zip (the same in Vista). However, the function of the NetBEUI protocal is already included in TCP/IP protocal.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:19 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Thanks again for your answer.
    When you say "the NetBEUI protocal is already included in TCP/IP protocal", I think you refer to NetBT  (Netbios over TCP/IP). In our case, there are OS/2 clients among PCs under Windows and we can't install TCP/IP on the OS/2 clients (which are old industrial machines on which we can't do any evolutions) so I think we can't use NETBT. Do you think it will be possible to acquire the souce code of NBF.SYS ?
    Regards.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the source code of NBF.SYS file. Please understand that NetBEUI protocal is maintained By IBM and I'm afraid that you may need contact IBM for further suggestions.

Thanks,
    Novak
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:56 AM