none
FIM EVENT ID 3 when starting User Profile Synchronization service

Question

• I am having issues getting the USP Sync Service to start correctly in our 2013 Farm.  

We are using a named instance for this install and from what I have read, it looks like that is the issue.

In the ULS I find this error "ERROR  ILMPostSetupConfiguration: ILM Configuration: Validating installation of SQL Service FAILED ."

The event log shows this error: 

.Net SqlClient Data Provider: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: HostId is not registered
       at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Utilities.ExceptionManager.ThrowException(Exception exception)
       at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Data.Exception.DataAccessExceptionManager.ThrowException(SqlException innerException)
       at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Data.DataAccess.RetrieveWorkflowDataForHostActivator(Int16 hostId, Int16 pingIntervalSecs, Int32 activeHostedWorkflowDefinitionsSequenceNumber, Int16 workflowControlMessagesMaxPerMinute, Int16 requestRecoveryMaxPerMinute, Int16 requestCleanupMaxPerMinute, Boolean runRequestRecoveryScan, Boolean& doPolicyApplicationDispatch, ReadOnlyCollection`1& activeHostedWorkflowDefinitions, ReadOnlyCollection`1& workflowControlMessages, List`1& requestsToRedispatch)
       at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Hosting.HostActivator.RetrieveWorkflowDataForHostActivator()
       at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Hosting.HostActivator.ActivateHosts(Object source, ElapsedEventArgs e)

The server was set up with a sql alias and we also added an alias for the server itself.   Based on the below links, I did verify that the SQLInstance is empty in the registry.  

I am at a loss on what to try next to get this working.  As a side note, I just noticed the dev farm we have (which I didn't set up) does not have the UPS configured.  I have seen references that state the only FIM  2010 SP1 works with SharePoint 2013 and am currently investigating updating the version on our server to SP1.

all help is appreciated!  

Thanks,

Natalie

References:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmsmvps.com%2Fblogs%2Fhaarongonzalez%2Farchive%2F2013%2F03%2F07%2Funa-raz-243-n-mas-por-la-cual-no-inicializa-la-aplicaci-243-n-de-servicio-de-perfiles-de-usuario-de-sharepoint-2010.aspx&edit-text=

http://sharepoint.licomputersource.com/2010/07/23/installing-and-configuring-user-profile-synchronization-service-in-sharepoint-2010-2/

NLewis

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi NLewis,

Please run cliconfg.exe (under system32 folder)on the SharePoint server to create an Alias for the SQL Instance. Deleted the previous UPA without deleting the associated databases, created a new UPA without the orginal Sync DB.

Please check the Farm Account in SQL (Security | Logins)  in order to make sure that the correct mappings are set for Profile, Social and Sync DB with db_owner & public DB role memberships.

And the Farm Account must  have the following Server Roles : dbcreator; public; securityadmin; sysadmin.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 02, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• Have you tried restarting the server hosting the FIM instance?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/akhawaja/archive/2010/03/24/forefront-identity-manager-hostid-is-not-registered.aspx

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Yes, the server has been restarted.  We have rebooted it after making changes to the sql alias and again after deleting the UPS and starting over. 

NLewis

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Hi NLewis,

Please run cliconfg.exe (under system32 folder)on the SharePoint server to create an Alias for the SQL Instance. Deleted the previous UPA without deleting the associated databases, created a new UPA without the orginal Sync DB.

Please check the Farm Account in SQL (Security | Logins)  in order to make sure that the correct mappings are set for Profile, Social and Sync DB with db_owner & public DB role memberships.

And the Farm Account must  have the following Server Roles : dbcreator; public; securityadmin; sysadmin.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 02, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi Wendy,  

Thanks for the tip.  I had and after rerunning the cliconfg.exe and a reboot, the service finally started correctly.  

NLewis

Monday, July 07, 2014 5:24 PM