none
Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection

Question

• I just upgraded to Windows7/Profession (64bit), and I stick in a DVD to play it and I get the following error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.  Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

So, have we finally reached the point where the Windows-7 O.S. is playing "Big Brother" with our own store-bought DVD's and enforcing copy-protection in Windows Media Player 12?
    • Moved by Pooja.Katiyar - MSFT Friday, November 20, 2009 3:25 PM Media Center related issue... (From:Windows 7 Application Compatibility)
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To prevent the illegal creation of perfect digital copies of DVDs, the information on most DVDs is scrambled. Your DVD decoder and Windows Media Player have copy protection software that decodes the information on the DVD just before displaying it. If this software doesn't start correctly, you might receive this error. Remove the DVD from the DVD drive and then reinsert it. This will force the copy protection software to reset.

While the DVD is out of the drive, make sure that your DVD is clean. If your DVD is scratched or dirty, the DVD drive may not be able to read it correctly, and you might receive this error.

If this doesn't work, try the following:

If you have been able to play DVDs on your computer before, and you receive this error message, you might be able to solve the problem by restarting Windows Media Player or your computer.

If you receive this error message the first time you try to play a DVD, you might not have a DVD decoder installed, or your decoder software might need to be updated. In addition to your DVD-ROM drive and Player software, you must have either a software or hardware decoder to play DVDs. Hardware decoders and their drivers are available from third-party manufacturers. For more information about software decoders, see DVD Decoder Plug-ins. If you have an older decoder installed, contact the manufacturer of the decoder to obtain an updated version that is compatible with Windows Media Player and Microsoft Windows operating systems.

You may want to visit the follow links which describe about Media Player issues -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0094.mspx#E3B

Also, look at the Media Player Plug-ins - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

Take a look at - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee405471.aspx

Additionally, you can post your questions related to Windows 7 Media & Sound to this forum - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/threads

Hope above helps.

Pooja Katiyar
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To prevent the illegal creation of perfect digital copies of DVDs, the information on most DVDs is scrambled. Your DVD decoder and Windows Media Player have copy protection software that decodes the information on the DVD just before displaying it. If this software doesn't start correctly, you might receive this error. Remove the DVD from the DVD drive and then reinsert it. This will force the copy protection software to reset.

While the DVD is out of the drive, make sure that your DVD is clean. If your DVD is scratched or dirty, the DVD drive may not be able to read it correctly, and you might receive this error.

If this doesn't work, try the following:

If you have been able to play DVDs on your computer before, and you receive this error message, you might be able to solve the problem by restarting Windows Media Player or your computer.

If you receive this error message the first time you try to play a DVD, you might not have a DVD decoder installed, or your decoder software might need to be updated. In addition to your DVD-ROM drive and Player software, you must have either a software or hardware decoder to play DVDs. Hardware decoders and their drivers are available from third-party manufacturers. For more information about software decoders, see DVD Decoder Plug-ins. If you have an older decoder installed, contact the manufacturer of the decoder to obtain an updated version that is compatible with Windows Media Player and Microsoft Windows operating systems.

You may want to visit the follow links which describe about Media Player issues -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0094.mspx#E3B

Also, look at the Media Player Plug-ins - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

Take a look at - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee405471.aspx

Additionally, you can post your questions related to Windows 7 Media & Sound to this forum - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/threads

Hope above helps.

Pooja Katiyar
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I just upgraded to Windows7/Profession (64bit), and I stick in a DVD to play it and I get the following error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.  Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

So, have we finally reached the point where the Windows-7 O.S. is playing "Big Brother" with our own store-bought DVD's and enforcing copy-protection in Windows Media Player 12?

That's not new to Windows 7.

Your graphics card, its drivers, and your monitor must all be HDCP compliant if you wish to watch DVDs using a digital interface (like DVI). If you were able to watch the same DVD on the same hardware (including the digital interface) before upgrading to Win7, I'd guess that you need HDCP compliant drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

I have no HDCP compatibility issues with my Win7 X64 PC.

Any of the commercial DVD player software will also enforce the DVD region codes as well.

There are hacks available to circumvent the DRM. Some of them are commercial. (Presumably they are from outside the US, beyond the reach of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.) I cannot post links to them here.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Got the same error message when trying to play DVDs I have purchased. Only slight difference is that WMP did work for a couple of weeks and now gives the "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.  Try installing an updated driver for your video card."
    Before you ask me what changed: I have run TV programs from the yahoo7.com.au site. Which most likely downloaded some files but ran within the site rather in WMP.

On teh advice of a MSFT Moderator I tried: All the options in the Enahnced Playback and Device Experience area are ticked. I then tried to manually reset the DRM rights. I found the DRM folder in the ProgramData\Windows directory. And ran the "upgrade DRM security component" as well. Should I try uninstall and reinstall  WMP or do you have any other ideas ?

Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi Pooja

This issue remains unresolved - can you please help?

Got the same error message when trying to play DVDs I have purchased. Only slight difference is that WMP did work for a couple of weeks and now gives the "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.  Try installing an updated driver for your video card."
    Before you ask me what changed: I have run TV programs from the yahoo7.com.au site. Which most likely downloaded some files but ran within the site rather in WMP.

On the advice of a MSFT Moderator I tried: All the options in the Enhanced Playback and Device Experience area are ticked. I then tried to manually reset the DRM rights. I found the DRM folder in the ProgramData\Windows directory. And ran the "upgrade DRM security component" as well. Should I try uninstall and reinstall  WMP or do you have any other ideas ?

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:20 AM
  • I started getting the exact message last night. The links don't provide any kind of patch, and the Windows Media general webpage doesn't direct me to this specific problem. Is there a link you can provide that provides a specific answer to this issues?
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Sorry, but I call BS.  I got the message while watching a DVD that I had watched part of TWO HOURS earlier.  And are you telling me that Windows 7 can identify what device I have an HDMI cable plugged into, but WMP can't?  That's moronic.  Only Microsoft would say that's as designed.  That's why it thinks an external monitor is going to copy a DVD.

Now I understand why people buy Macs, because of stupid ____ like this.  I'm about to join them.

Friday, December 10, 2010 3:50 AM
  • (...) issue remains unresolved - can you please help? (...)

Hi.

I started having this problem after upgrading to Windows 7. My WMP12 simply refused to play back DVD's. The message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection..." kept popping up very time I loaded a Disc.

Stand alone players such as PowerDVD and VLC was able to play back DVD's with out any probems what so ever.

I tried every known remedy: Updated drivers for VGA, Sound and Monitor; tested several Codec packs; tweaked a bunch of stuff etc.
    but none of this solved the problem.

At the end I had messed around so much that I decided to do a clean install on Windows 7 (we are talking 2 days in at this point). After the install the problem was still present as expected.

At this point it really got me thinking. And then I suddenly remembered: When I installed my current DVD drive (AD7633A) about 2 years ago I decided to Flash it with a patched Region Free / RPC1 firmware.

I re-flashed the drive with the Original stock firmware and the problem was gone :)

To sum this up:
    If you have a patched DVD drive with Region Free / RPC1 DVD firmware, then this may be causing the problem.

/Nanoflower

• Edited by nan0flower Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:28 PM type-o
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:26 PM
  • I agree installing VNC which is free software and DVD worked pretty good. The link to download that is http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10717934.html
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Varun meant to say "VLC" ... but the link is right and it solves the problem.  I've played many, many commercial DVDs using Media Player ... maybe this one (Watchmen) is different.  In any case (a) sending users on an Easter-Egg hunt about updating video drivers is utterly lame and (b) use VLC instead ... it seems unaffected by this.  Whatever the cause, Redmond should take ownership of this and fix it.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Other players like free SMPlayer work fine also, it is just the stupid WMP and Media center. I recently upgraded to 7 Ultimate and it worked fine for a week. I have a multiple format DVD Burner that is region free and once I played a region 2 dvd (Which I bought legally) it decided to stop working for all Region 1 DVDs which is most of them. This is really stupid because it was bought and is legal and Microsoft decides for me that it should not be allowed to be viewed. It changed something in the DRM somewhere and resetting DRM does nothing to fix it. Microsoft as usual is not help whatsoever in resolving the issue either. But the sad thing is I like some aspects of WMP and expect it to work and do what it is supposed to do, especially when they charge me money for their stupid temper-mental OS. There are no region settings anywhere for me to change either since it is a true region free player. I know there are no driver errors which Microsoft claims in the error message as they are all the newest available direct from the manufacturers, and rollbacks make no difference either. The player works fine. WMP DOES NOT.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:26 AM