none
Right click send to Mail Recipient does not obey default mail client settings RRS feed

• Question

• A company I work with has a dozen new machines at winver 1809 which I have been setting up with O365 for Business but where the default mail app is IBM Notes.

When a user right clicks in Explorer and does "Send to Mail Recipient" Outlook setup wizard is invoked.

This is not an IBM Notes issue - the same occurs if the default mail app is set as anything other than Outlook e.g. Thunderbird.

Updating the new machines from 1809 to 1903 makes no difference.

Machines that have had W10 installed for a long time and have been upgraded to 1803, 1809 and then 1903 will work.

Examination of the registry on these new machines versus machines that started life with prior versions of W10 shows that Microsoft has made changes in this area which has effectively blocked any way of forcing a change to this behaviour.

This must be considered a serious bug. Is there any fix available ?

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• I can not reproduce this in Windows 10 1903.
    "Send to Mail Recipient" opens Thunderbird (version 60.9.0)
    But as I don't have any Microsoft Office program installed, it might be a problem with Office.

Can you tell me which registry key on your machine is changed?
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the following steps:

Right-Click the Start button and choose run. Type shell:sendto  in the run box, hit Enter. Click on File, New, Shortcut. Browse until you find the IBM Notes program and click on it.

Then you could re-check the issue.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:13 AM
  • I can not reproduce this in Windows 10 1903.
    "Send to Mail Recipient" opens Thunderbird (version 60.9.0)
    But as I don't have any Microsoft Office program installed, it might be a problem with Office.

Can you tell me which registry key on your machine is changed?

It may be caused by O365 agreed.

This customer uses O365 Business NOT Business Premium - the latter includes email of course but the former doesn't.

On the affected PCs the reg key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail - correctly shows "IBM Notes" as the default but it is ignored

Friday, October 4, 2019 2:23 PM
  • Tried that already and although its easy to add a shortcut it will not open a new message and add the attachment(s)
    Friday, October 4, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Eventually tracked the error down to the Office ClicktoRun install. Basically it must be removed and the PC rebooted before the email is set up. After setting up the email and ensuring that it obeys the right click rules. Reboot. Then install O365. This correctly sets the email client of choice as the MAPI provider.

If you don't remove the ClickToRun install then the registry is set to always call Outlook.

• Proposed as answer by EckiS Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:10 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:14 PM