none
Save as dialog doesn't show the box for entering file name

Question

• I'm facing a very peculiar problem. When I launch the file save as dialog from my application, it does not show me the box for entering the file name. I found some users facing the exact same issue but no one seems to have the reason why this may happen. Does anyone have any idea?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for taking time on above steps.

From the blog and your description, we may try to do the following troubleshooting.

1.     Try to print in Internet Explorer, and see if the file name box appears in the Save As dialog.

a)     If so, this issue is due to Firefox. Please run Firefox with Safe Mode, you can open it by clicking the Start, clicking All Programs, clicking Mozilla Firefox and clicking Mozilla Firefox ( Safe Mode ). Moreover, if the issue persists, please try to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it.

b)     Otherwise, if the file name box doesn't appear in the Save As dialog, please try to print using other applications such as Microsoft XPS Document Writer and see if the file name box appears in Save As dialog. If the file name box appears, the issue is narrowed down to CutePDF. Try to reinstall CutePDF and see if the problem is resolved.

2.     Open a word document, and print it to PDF using CutePDF.

If the issue occurs, please uninstall CutePDF, and see if the issue is resolved.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode with networking, and see if the issue occurs the same. There might be some third party program blocking this appearance.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your question to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding the issue, may I ask some questions:

1. Did this happen with just one application or all applications? If it occurs on just one specific application, what is the application? Please reinstall the application and see if the problem is resolved.

2. Did other users come across the same issue on the same application? Have you performed any change before this issue occured? Please try system restore to the previous point when there was working normally without any problems.

3. Try to use notepad, then click 'Save as' and see if the issue occurs.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, May 04, 2009 2:45 AM

• 1. This is happening with one application only. In my case, it is Firefox. Whenever I try to print to PDF using CutePDF, it just doesn't show me the file name box in the Save As dialog. This is a pretty standard windows dialog as far as I can see. And, I am not sure if the Windows common control API allows the developer to hide that box, so I think it may not be the fault with Firefox.

2. I'm not sure about other users. I did find this:

http://whyiseverytitletaken.blogspot.com/2007/08/vista-file-save-as-dialog-gone-wrong.html

A user said switching Aero off resolved the issue. I found few other forums for Adobe complaining of this same issue. I will try the system restore and post the results.

3. Notepad works fine.

Thanks much for helping.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking time on above steps.

From the blog and your description, we may try to do the following troubleshooting.

1.     Try to print in Internet Explorer, and see if the file name box appears in the Save As dialog.

a)     If so, this issue is due to Firefox. Please run Firefox with Safe Mode, you can open it by clicking the Start, clicking All Programs, clicking Mozilla Firefox and clicking Mozilla Firefox ( Safe Mode ). Moreover, if the issue persists, please try to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it.

b)     Otherwise, if the file name box doesn't appear in the Save As dialog, please try to print using other applications such as Microsoft XPS Document Writer and see if the file name box appears in Save As dialog. If the file name box appears, the issue is narrowed down to CutePDF. Try to reinstall CutePDF and see if the problem is resolved.

2.     Open a word document, and print it to PDF using CutePDF.

If the issue occurs, please uninstall CutePDF, and see if the issue is resolved.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode with networking, and see if the issue occurs the same. There might be some third party program blocking this appearance.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:51 AM