none
Files Being Damaged on Move RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a pretty major issue happen to me. I work for a company that uses a Mac as a "File Storage". Every file we have for our clients gets put onto this Mac via a network connection. Connected to that Mac we also have an external "Archive" system that we move old client files from our "File Storage" to, that are over 6 months old.

The problem is that when I try to use my Windows 10 PC to move files from the "File Storage" to the "Archive", the files being moved get damaged and aren't able to be opened afterwards. I've tried the same process with computers using other operating systems around the office and I'm not having any issues with the files being moved or being opened afterwards. I even tried using a different computer in the office that is also running Windows 10 and it still has the same problem of the files being damaged after the move.

So I've come to a conclusion (but maybe not the right one) that the problem I'm facing has something to do with the Windows 10 OS. If I am right, is there something I can do/change on my PC to be able to move the files from the "File Storage" to the "Archive" without damaging the files? And just to reiterate, the "File Storage" is a Mac and the "Archive" is an external drive system that is connected to that Mac and we connect to them via a network connection.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Monday, February 22, 2016 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Pauerful,

What is the operating system running on the Mac file Storage?

Well that is hard for me to analyze here. Are you using RDP to connect to the storage here, or any 3rd-party software?

Either the file is not copied neatly, or the there is some issues when using the connection Protocols.

Please take a procerss monitor trace and see if we could get any clues there.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:01 AM
  • The Mac is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

I'm not using any 3rd-party software to connect to the Mac and the externals attached to it, I just go through our internal network.

I ran the process monitor and everything looked okay except for two "Buffer Overflow" results on the PDF I was trying to move for this test.

I didn't know what that meant, so I looked it up and it seems like this is probably the reason why it's saying the files are damaged when I try to open them, maybe?

Is there anything I can do to fix what's happening?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Hi Pauerful,

Apologize for the late response.

Currently I have no idea about the Buffer Overflow.

You may submit this through Windows Feedback Tool, together with the finding results.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:13 AM